Heart Disease Community
Hole in upper chamber of heart

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Hole in upper chamber of heart

I just learned today that a small hole was found between the upper chambers of my heart.  I believe this is called an atrial septal defect, but was never told the official medical term.  This was found on a routine echocardiogram for evaluation of pvcs.  I had an echo 2½ years ago and it was not picked up then.  I am confused by this.  The tech that called me with the results downplayed it saying that the hole was small and I have an otherwise structurally normal heart and valves.  She said that they would note it in my file.  Everything I have read online says that the hole should be repaired.  I have asked for further explanation from my doctor, but he hasn't called back yet.  Shouldn't there be other tests run?  Has anyone had a septal defect and not needed repair/surgery?
From your results it appears that you don't show any problematic symptoms from an ASD. If small enough, it is probable that you won't require it to be closed.
Yes, my syster has one and no operation has been made.

By the way 20% of the people have it. In fact it is quite big in the fetus and it is suppouse to be closed by birth time.

Normally does not give any symptoms, however it increases the risk of strokes.

Jesus