Heart Disease Expert Forum
Holter Monitor Study
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Holter Monitor Study

I've had palpitations issue for years now...Even went to see a EP who thought i had sinus tachycardia, whereas another cardioligist thought it was a junctional tachycardia....

1 Are EKG's often difficult to interpret, or "SHOULD' it be simple for a trained cardiologist, regardless of the rhythm?...

2. Just wanted your thoughts on this 48 hour Holter reading below...The MD's office called and said there were some rhythm issues but nothing life threatening....On a side note, i had a NORMAL echo in June of this year as well...Thanks

"The rhythm was sinus w/episodes of junctional rhythm....The average heart rate was 77..

"Ventricular ectopic avtivity consisted of 75 beats of which 8 were in couplets, 67 were single VE's...Multiform VE's were noted"..

"Supraventricular ectopic activity consisted of 157 beats of which 3 were in 1 run, 154 were single PAC's,....The longest R-R interval was 1.6 seconds...P waves are of 2 types, those associated with tachycardia (tall P waves) & those associated with small P waves when the heart was not tachycardiac"...

"Heart rate when junctional rhythm is usually less than 100"..

Hello,

It is hard to give you a diagnosis over the internet but I can give you some helpful pointers. It is true that your Holter report although not completely normal does not demonstrate presence of any dangerous or life threatening rhythm problems. It does not appear that any of the abnormalities are particularly sustained.
I am not certain which of these transient rhythms are responsible for your symptoms. I am not sure how long do your palpitaitons last as this can have a bearing on what is causing your symptoms.
You mention that you have had an echocardiogram which did not reveal presence of any structural abnormalities.
At this time, I recommend two things. Firstly, I recommend that other causes of palpitaions have been ruled out like thyroid problems, caffeine intake, anxiety etc. Secondly, I recommend discussion with your cardiologist about possibility of starting a low dose beta blocker which can sometimes be of benefit.

Hope that helps
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979