Heart Disease Expert Forum
Holter results

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Holter results

Hi there - I just received a letter with my holter results, with a conclusion of low grade ectopy and a few sinus tachycardia. I have been trying to research exactly what that is. All sorts of other results come up and I am not exactly sure which one fits me. Can some one explain what the low grade ectopy is? Is this something that I should be worried about?

Thanks for all responses,
D
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi D,

This does not sound alarming to me. It is common for people to have some degree of ectopy. Essentially heart function depends on a series of electrical impulses which are generated by natural pacemaker cells (originating in the sinus node) and traveling throughout the heart, thereby stimulating muscle contraction and pumping of blood to vital organs. Aside from the natural pacemaker cells, most cells in the heart are able to generate electrical impulses, and occasionally people get "ectopic beats" which are most often of no clinical significance. These are commonly known as PVCs or PACs. They often occur in normal hearts and usually cause no problems. Keep in mind that the interpretation of any test needs to in the context of the specific clinical scenario so this would be something that you should speak with your doctor about. But I definitely would not worry as I suspect that this is not a significant finding with any clinical impact.