Heart Disease Community
Home care right after bypass discharge

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Home care right after bypass discharge

My partner, 69, was discharged after receiving a quintuple bypass and ICD insertion day before yesterday.  At 266 lbs and 6'3" he's a big guy.  I'm now taking care of him and I don't know what's normal and what's not in the first days out of the hospital.  He's not eating much, would prefer to use the urinal than to get up to go, and he needs my help to get him up.  When he's standing it's a struggle to get to the bathroom, then a big rest, and a struggle to get back to the recliner.  Temperature is normal.  Legs are swollen.  I've seen these things mentioned in the literature before, but what I've read focuses more on recovery down the road and not so much in the first week after coming home.  Does the fact that he's heavy make it, as I suspect, a much longer recovery?  What's normal and what's something I need to get immediate attention for?
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
ill13632 possible aphasia, deafness ... Comment
LouAnn53 is ... Comment
remar commented on specialmom's status
Apr 24