Heart Disease Expert Forum
Horrible symptoms, won't be taken seriously

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I am a healthy and active 21yr old male. I work in a warehouse and am used to my heart racing to achieve my targets. lately I have been having random episodes of heart racing and discomfort. I have had panic attacks and indigestion in the past and know its not either. This is now happening once a day or more. It cab either start with a squeeze/flutter or start with pain. Either way the result is the same. An irregular heartbeat that can either be my normal (60-70bpm) rest rate or very fast with adrenaline surges. In both cases I'm having tightness and pain that radiates from the centre of the chest to the jaw and arms. Sometimes it causes intense fear, but as it is happening frequently latelybi just continue to work with it still happening. Being in the UK means my GP will say it's nothing because I am young, any "weapons" I can use to prove I need help at my next appointment? I have a family history or heart problems, and used to use very dangerous stimulants. I have been clean for years, its just started happening again but I'm "fine", please help me! I'm going crazy! I've gone from green to amber in agency pick rates because of this and it affects how much work I get
Avatar_dr_f_tn
While a racing heart can be a manifestation of panic attacks (especially in your age group), you do have other features which are more concerning: increased episodes, chest/jaw tightness and a family history of heart problems. You also mention a prior use of dangerous stimulants. A history of cocaine use may lead to cardiovascular issues at an earlier age (though 21 is still quite young). A prior history of IV drug use also has its share of consequences (such as heart infection).

I do agree with you that a more thorough evaluation needs to be performed before deciding that "it's nothing." The concerning features stated above should be enough of a "weapon" for a health care provider to look at the situation more closely (perhaps by obtaining an echocardiogram, stress test and/or holter monitor, for example). If your current GP feels that no work-up is indicated, consider a second opinion from another practitioner.
Thanks. I have managed to get an EKG and blood tests booked, hopefully I can find out what is going on