How do I know when skipped heart beats are dangerous?
Over a week ago for absolutely no identifiable reason my heart started skipping way more beats than usual.  I can go hours with none and then have several hours where I'll have 2 or 3 a minute.  It's setting me over the edge.  I don't know if it's dangerous or not.  I went to the ER the other day and they basically didn't care at all and just had me take Ativan and sent me home.  Today I panicked and called the paramedics who came and did a 12 lead and they said normal sinus with one ectopic and so I didn't go back to the ER.  I had a normal echo 3 years ago.  I already don't eat caffeine or sugar.

Please reassure or sympathize with me.  I'm going insane and have no idea what's causing this out of the blue.  Why would they suddenly increase for no reason whatsoever?
A drink of coconut juice I bought form Costco called Vita Coco seems to relieve my PVC.  So I drink one or two of this every day.
Have had this problem for 10 years. I'm 41 now. Didn't know at first, Finally after my 3rd holter it show to be PVC's. Dr say it no reason for concern though I don't get them often but when I do they are feeling worst each time. I'm thinking if going back to the Doc. 'taken me long to finally learn that the more I worry the worst it gets.
Oh my gosh, You have explained just what I'm going threw!!!! Today I feel worried more so then ever about my heart, it's really jumpy..... and am waiting for it to pass again. Weeks will go by and nothing, and today my heart is doing it's circus act. I am 100 pounds over weight and am going to lose this weight once in for all because I think it's causing it more and more to jump and skip beats. Take hb pressure med's and med's for cholesterol , thyroid meds,metformin, have sleep apniea, and feel like I'm really in a bad way lately. Have thought of weight loss surgery .....maybe that will get the weight off. But lately with the heart jumps all day ......all day they go on .....I am scared out of my mind and think I will get this weight off on my own. Will lose some weight and see if it goes away, if not am going to the Dr. Have had every test a million times and they tell me the same thing, nothing wrong, don't worry about it. Don't like my life at all...this is a horrible way to live and can't understand why the Dr's can't fix a jumpy heart!  Take a heart drug too ....Bisprolol sp., very low dose. I have had this for about 10 years, (Sinus tachycardia)     Great reading what everyone is writing and does help a lot...God bless us all and help us live and accept this heart problem comfortably .  
Hello you mention you have sleep apnea. Do u use your apnea machine and still get skipped a beat. Please comment back to me.
I am 68 years old and been having flutters, skips since I was 25. I believe
once you start having these things they never go away completly. I've
tried everything, but I do believe gas and heartburn do contribute alot
to the problem.
to the problem.
i had those for close to 20 years i heard garlic helps with them so thought i will try it and to my surprise it did help quite alot
i have 2 days a week a few cloves of garlic  chopped up on toast with melted cheese
i have been experimenting for a while now and the week i dont have the garlic n cheese i start getting them again
not much just 4 to 5 cloves a week
I have been dealing with anxiety/depression/stress sense April of 2014. It started with heart palpatations and heart pounding when I would lie down.  Then while at work I had an episode at work one day.  I thought I was going to have a heart attack or a stroke.  I had all the symptoms of a heart attack but it never happean.  My blood pressure got up to 173/82.  I went to the ER, had all the tests, and they sent me home.  Said I was dehydrated.  I went and saw a cardiologist and had all the tests that could be done (stress test, ultra sound, chest films).  Doctor said there was nothing wrong with my heart.  I had my tyroid glade checked checked and it was all good.  I am now taking 150mg of Zoloft and 30mg remeron to sleep.  They have helped but Im not 100%.  More like 75% on a good day.  I still have heart palpatations, chest pains, back pains and etc.  All the symptoms you can think of.  I have heard that Lyme disease can cause alot of simlier symptoms but I have not taken a test yet.  

For the longest time I have thought I was gonna die anyday now from a heart attack or a stroke.  I would have the feelings again and hoped I was not alone so that if I did pass out or have a heart attack someone would be around to give me CPR.  I have two kids and it scares me to leave this world with them so young.  Im 34, dont smoke, have cut down on the alcohol, eat right, and I work out constantly.  I can run under an eight min. mile.  

Perhaps I work out to much or dont get enough sleep or have to much stress.  I am at the point of anger also and just gonna let my heart do what it does.  We all seem to have a laundry list of things that happean to us, are worse at different times, can new ones that pop up.  Reading all of your posts helps and I hope that what I have posted helps.  He strong and dont give into sadness and depression when it comes to these things.  Get out and live your life.  
Hi there,

I, too, have been getting irregular heart beats. Last month, I was sitting down at my computer after having a contentious conversation with my father and all of a sudden I felt like I was having a heart attack. I had my brother call the paramedics and they ran an EKG and said everything was fine--might be stress they said as my blood pressure was high. Now mind you, I have never been in that situation before..I have never felt like that before. I felt humiliated calling for the paramedics, but I know what I felt. Now since that incident, I get irregular heart beats (like skipping beats) or feeling of anxiety. I'm not sure what it is, but I do plan on making an appointment with a cardiologist.

I have been reading several forums as well and I am glad I am not the only one in this situation.

I am a 41 year old male and on New Years Day I woke up with my heart really racing. After a few hours my heart rate slowed down but I was noticing what seemed like a pause and then a flutter. After a couple of days I then had some tightness in my chest, which also went after another few days. I am still left with this pausing and fluttering. I have had blood test ECG and all come back normal. Yesterday I developed a cold on top of this and my heart rate rose to 90-100 Bpm. While it was high I didn't experience any heart irregularities, but today as my heart rate has come down I am experiencing them again especially when it slows to 55-60. I am waiting for echocardiogram in 5-6 weeks, hopefully this will shed some light. I'm also not sure if it is anything to do with the alcohol drank the previous night. Any thoughts please.
I'm like you,65 and had them since I was 30..Most people don't realize that a 300mg Magnesium pill a day will eliminate them for some people.My husband used to have atrial fibrillation but rest and magnesium cured him.
Just a reminder that this issue is common but also scary.More than likely it is stress but you need to see a cardiologist.The Dr has to see what its doing when its acting up.so many people on here say that its nothing but a person that may have died from it cant post on here.See a Dr for sure.I have had this happen to me about 3 times in my adult life and all times during high stress and its scary to say the least.You also need to learn how to regain proper breathing all day every day.  
Yes  I  have been going through this for 16 years. I first noticed while i was taking Tylenol pm nitely,  and i suspect the active  ingredient  dyphenhydramine had something to do with it. Same active  in benadryl.  I noticed that when I started taking your dude he returned with a vengeance also gas and acid reflux seems to play a large role its scary as hell my heart will beat very hard  skip a beat and then a very hard boom . Then it feels like i drop on a rollercoaster and lose my breath. I also worked  as an electrical worker  for many years and was zapped my fair share. I dont remember  it ever taking a path through my torso to ground though. Triggers for me are caffeine  alcohol  and the worst nicotine  from vaporizer.  Strangely       amphetamine seems to correct by stabilizing continuous  steady slow but    hard beat. When i run out watch out bom bom bom bom............BOOM every   30 seconds. Can someone please tell me why d-amp regulates the problem.  Its supposed to fo the oppisite, not in my case. Im to lazy to synth anymore so im out noe and oaying for it as ringo stsr is playing adrum solo in my chest. Alprazolam is aldo a life saver with this ****. Under the tounge for it melts snd seems to hit wuicker and work.  I have been so frazzled  i crush then and hoover it up my nostrils for almost relief.  It has impeded  my life significantly,  as i dare travel  without my jar og trusty xanax  and  enough dpeed to set my tickers pace right. This however is dangerous  for my freedom. I started with the amphet for that rush snd energy now its strictly  medicinal,  as it lost its magic long ago. Is there an alternative for me besides my current regimen. By no means am i insinuating  anyone  try my form of self medication for fear of dire consequences. Please if someone knows why this odd remedy seems to alleviate  my symptoms please reply  back and let me know thank you.
i have had palpitations for yrs, 7 yrs ago i was diagnosed with high blood pressure and breathing issue. i was not treated I had severe migraines every day and sometimes for 2 weeks straight. they would cripple me. then migraines eased up some. then id jut feel dizzy or weak. in 2011 i had a stroke. I was 37 yrs old. everyone that witnessed the stroke knew it was a stroke without a doubt. i was shoved out of my docs office saying it was amigraine headache. still having all the above symtpoms but then my body was lopsided a bit, i had svere nerve damge in the back of my head, and a back issue that makes my hip give out at any time. and the pain is bad. other symptoms had increased, had 2nd stroke in 2012. again was shoved out of docs office as him saying it was amigraine, yet took me 3 months working by myself to be able to walk right again. legs started shaking after second stroke and that shaking has also incresed. 2013 i had my third stroke. i couldnt work and wass hoved off as having amigraine headache again. so as you can imagine my anxiety levles sky rocketed after these strokes. never knowing when id have another one that would either kill me or leave me helpless. so i seena therapist. in a chapter form anxiety workbook it states its important to rule out heart disease as the cause of anxiety. I went to my doc and requested i be tested for heart disease afte rhe laughed about it he sent me for an ecg, it was bad enough i was sent next day for a stress test and the doc that did the stress test prescribed nitro glycerine right then. 2 days later doc told me i have a severe heart condition and he was referring me to a cardioligist. they set up a stress echo right away and found i have a bicuspid aorta.My doc told me of what i have and said it will kill me and it dont matter what i eat or di and to go live it up. my cardioligist said theres nothing wrong and ill see you in 3 yrs. i went back and told my doc this and he has agreed witht the cardioligist and refuses me any referrals to another cardiologist or bck to my neurolgist . my neurolgist is the only one that tried finding out what was wrong. so i went to the medical clinic and the doc there has also refused any referrals. I can no longer do anything pphysical i cannot walk stairs without my legs shaking, short of breath, weakness, dizziness, irregular beats that sometimes skip 2-3 beats at a time. yet i have found out there is a surgery that can be done  and there is treatment. yet im being refused anything that will help me to get better. I ive in a place where health care is paid for. so why wont any doc give me a referral? why am i left to live my life on a couch and bed? and the horrible anxiety that comes with knowing my time is ticking and im still not even monitored for high blood pressure or being treated for it????? angry,sad,frustrated here.
Yes that is like what happens to me.  Count 13-15 beats then it skips a couple then 13-15 beats and so on.  What is going on???
Hello I'm 14 years old and I've been having these heart skips for months now and I'm really worried I went to the doctors once & hospital also they said it was stress and some anxiety. I got blood work done & an EKG. My family is in a very tough situation and there's yelling everyday so it's a lot on me. It just seems like there's something wrong with my heart but I don't know the doctor said I was fine and the hospital. It just seems like it'll never go away no matter what. Btw I used to stay up till 5 am/ 7 am in the morning. I'm starting to go to sleep earlier but they still won't go away and I'm afraid to fall asleep. Can't even exercise without my heart skipping :( I'm thin too btw
Hi. I think the best thing you can do is have a chat to your parents or one of them. Explain how the situation is harming your health and how it causes you to worry so much. No matter how bad their situation, it isn't worth ruining the health of anyone over. Is there a relative you can stay with for a couple of weeks? I think you are in a vulnerable position and you should have mentioned it at the hospital. I know it's hard to do at the moment, but I'm hoping over time you can. Don't take any notice of the shouting, just think "no way will any kid of mine go through this when I grow up". This will make you a much stronger person overall. If you can, go to the Doctors and have a blood test for Potassium and Magnesium levels, these are very important metals for a healthy heart rhythm.
I get that same bubble feeling.  It's been going on for about six months. I also have a pain in my chest just below the sternum.  It's mostly on the right side. Also, I get relief when I lie down. Do these things happen to you?
I just stumbled here via google. I also suffer from this skipping. It is starting to drive me really crazy. My doctors blame it all on anxiety, even though I don't feel like I am really having anxiety. Anyway, the reason I am writing to you, is the bible passage you referenced. I did a facebook quiz today, It said, what bible verse is meant for you. Mine was this same one from Revelations. What is this verse saying? I take this as a sign, because I have prayed so much for relief from this. The verse confuses me as to what the meaning is. My anxiety wants me to believe, I am going to die soon. My logic is telling me, it's all gonna go away soon, without dying. What is your understanding of this verse?
wow. I too have been dealing with the heart skipping fluttering and bouncing. I only feel it when I'm lying down or sitting still. Had my physician check and she sent me to a cardiologist which ran all tests and blood work and found nothing! They said it was from anxiety and prescribed anxiety pills which I'm on but still I don't feel anxious in anyway and I still get the palpitations on a daily basis. Sigh, I've been dealing with this since October 2014. I'm scared and frustrated
I have the same. I have had EKG's angiogram,  ect. I have long Q-T so they tell me.
Long QT syndrome (LQTS) is a heart rhythm disorder that can potentially cause fast, chaotic heartbeats. These rapid heartbeats may trigger a sudden fainting spell or seizure. In some cases, your heart may beat erratically for so long that it can cause sudden death.

You can be born with a genetic mutation that puts you at risk of long QT syndrome. In addition, certain medications and medical conditions may cause long QT syndrome.

I am on Toprol XL and Xanax.
I have had skips for quite some time, I keep getting told it's nothing to worry about but it's worrying when I get them back to back. They always seem to happen when I try to sleep too continuously jolting me awake and making me lose sleep and is it normal to have chest pain after a few skips? The pain is dull but there.
Can you please elaborate as to what type of magnesium supplement you are using?
Get rid of the MGS's in your food and diets. Make sure you get enough sleep to let your stress levels drop to a minimum. Cut back on caffeine, soda's, and alcohol. Eat more alkaline based foods instead of acid base. Do only 30 min exercise per day. Walla, you'll be fine
I've recently gone through the same thing.  No family history of heart problems, I'm thin and blood pressure is normal; more or less completely healthy. Got divorced, took on the house mortgage, was eating poorly, no exercise.  I then noticed that my thumb was tingly for about a week.  I decided to get back in shape, and went for a run...  After the run I noticed my heart pounding in my ears, was skipping beats every 4 beats, and then pausing and starting again with a 'thump'.  This didn't stop, and I thought I may be having a heart attack.  My chest tightened up and I phoned my sister who is a doctor, about an hour later to see if I should be calling an ambulance.  She said that if I were having a heart attack, I'd be dead already (as the chest pain and numbness in the arm had lasted over an hour).  Went to the doctor the next day, and EKG showed nothing.  Went to Cardiologist 2 days later for Electrocardiogram, Stress test... He said everything is fine, having Pre-Ventricular Contractions and Pre-Atrial Contractions is common, as sometimes the heart muscles create circuits of their own and mess with the rhythm of the heart.  He said there is no evidence to show that this condition damages the heart over time.  Of course I didn't believe him; even though he's a world class Cardiologist.  I did the 24 hour Holter monitor a few weeks later, and it showed a massive amount of PVC's and PAC's.  Still, the cardiologist didn't have any concerns.  I had concerns because I have never had this arrhythmia before.  "I am not fine", I told myself.  I needed to get some answers.

I had the fortune, however, to see a really good Therapist who specializes in Post Traumatic Stress.  After my heart started skipping beats, and chest pain and arm tingling, I thought I could die at any moment for a few weeks.  I wasn't able to sleep and started having terrible nightmares about dying, and my family dying.  What the therapist told me made a huge difference.  The Amygdala is a part of the brain; whose job is to look for threats and then put your body into alarm mode if it senses one (fight, flight, or freeze).  When you're under a lot of constant stress, something happens (perhaps a brain pathway miswires) and your Amygdala thinks that certain triggers are life threatening and sends the alarm to your body.  When this happens, the symptoms typically are:  mouth goes dry, and digestion shuts down so you don't feel like eating, shallow breathing and dizziness due to hyperventilation, tight shoulders/back and thighs (preping to fight or run), and increased heart rate with shots of Adrenalin which cause the sensitive feeling in your chest and potentially messes with rhythm.  I had all of these and I noticed the tingling in my arm was due to muscles in my back being really tight.

After months of therapy for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, meditation, exercise, cutting out caffeine and alcohol, eating well, and getting a good sleep cycle going (sleep hygiene), and Yoga; I feel almost normal again.  A lot of it is that I'm not worried about my heart like I used to, but I also dealt with most of the stress triggers in my life.  Hopefully I can retrain my brain into setting off the fight or flight alarm only when truly in a life threatening situation.

My guess is the cause (for me) is hormonal and psychological. My sister also mentioned that the medical world doesn't really understand anxiety that well.  My heart arrhythmia is much better now, and only gets crappy after a strong cup of coffee, or stress.  I went for a run yesterday, and for the most part was beating like a clock.  So try not to worry everyone!  I had been under such constant stress that I forgot what feeling relaxed was.  You might want to try exploring this avenue yourself.
I also experience this I'm post menopausal my heart rate got to 158 with blood pressure high scares the cap out of me .Cardiologist says that it's hormones
All the above helps
Find out what sets your skipped beats
-caffeine -stress- chocolate - sugar -alcohol -exercise
or any of the foods or msg or whatever.  Each person has their own "triggers".  Eliminating these will greatly decrease your frequency of skipped beats.  (they will never be eliminated entirely).  
***ASK YOUR DOCTOR FOR A BETA-BLOCKER*****  -a very small dose will help emensely.  
These skipped beats are NOT life threatening.  Carry on as before.     Get  regular check-ups and enjoy life.
My heart beat skipping started last week. Every time my heart beat skips, I get some strange feeling in my stomach. Before I thought, that my stomach is having indigestion but when I checked with our home stethoscope I realised that it was heart and it was skipping beat. I believe that the various chemicals makes the heart signals. I am trying to relieve some stress, trying to improve my sleep and back to home fresh food and I am sure that it will go away.
Hi, just want to know if what type of magnesium supplement your husband is using?, thank you very much....
Go to the health food store and ask them which one is the best, as there are different strengths. I was told the powder was the best and had to take 1 or 2 tsp. at night in a glass of water at night about 20 minutes before bedtime. And it worked after about 3/4 weeks. Then I went over to Super Bio  Magnesium  capsules. Buy it from the Chemist Discount. About $14, Aust. dollars for 100 caps. as that is much easier to take and take one in the morning and 1 at night about 20 min. before bedtime.
CURED NOW... I had tests confirm over 2,000 missed beats a day--was physically and emotionally draining--have your Doctor perform lab tests--my Vitamin D was dangerously low--I now take 10,000 units a day and eat a banana daily--now perfectly normal!! Immediate results..
I believe taking Lipitor and antacids both contribute to the low levels of potassium and Vitamin D...

hope this helps.
Hi,  It sounds as if might you have a panic disorder.  Mine started with heart palpitations, which in turn scared me even more, and finally came to the point of feeling as if I was going to pass out.  I also hyperventilated.  This went on for a couple of yrs., and nothing in particular seemed to trigger it.  I could be listening to relaxing music, or reading a book.  Then suddenly I was dying again, and it progressed to the point of going to the emergency room, having all the symptoms of a heart attack.  My heartbeat would go to 180-200 bpm, and the only description I can compare it to is that it felt as if electricity was going through my chest....suddenly everything seemed to be fading away; my arms and legs would feel as if they were going numb.  All of this got so frightening, life just had no value anymore.  

Finally, I was at a soccer game in Dallas watching my daughter play, and was drinking a cup of coffee.  Suddenly the awful feelings again......I'm dying!!!  I was sure of it.  I was rushed to the hospital, and the dr. asked me if I had any idea what it might be, and I told him it had happened several times before.  He told me I was suffering from a panic disorder, prescribed .25 xanax 2X a day.  I felt like I was in the twilight zone, but I wasn't dying.  That was over 18 yrs. ago, and still suffer from the attacks.  I've leveled out at 1 mg. xanax 3X a day, but I still have the attacks at 4-5 times a month, even waking me from sleep.  I can tell myself what it is, but it doesn't matter, nor does it stop any of the sense of doom....as if I'm dying.  I would never wish this on anyone, and sometimes I feel so alone as I don't know anyone that suffers from it.  If you have any of these symptoms, you just might have the same thing.  I hope not because xanax is addictive, but my life would be horrendous if I didn't take them.  I feel so bad sometimes, I just wish I could leave my body.  I've had a lot of stress most of my life, and from what I understand, that affects the chemicals the brain.  Once that happens, there is no cure.......all you can do is take meds.  I keep hoping they'll go away someday, but after this many yrs, it's doubtful.  
I completely feel your pain I to have suffered panic attacks and still do I am not on medication tho. It has been hard and when u feel your heart skipping beats and panic it makes it feel like it's skipping more than bone beat. It's so scary but know your not alone..
I have been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks for around 20 years.  What your experiencing in a mirror image to what I experience.   I wake up from a dead sleep with heart racing, can't breathe, chest tight, arms and legs tingling.  It's a huge rush of adrenaline in the gut.  It causes all those symptoms.  I would not be alive if it wasn't for xanax.  Been on it for 12 years.  I also experience pvc's.  I guess it's worse when I'm stressed. I was just having them every 3rd beat for over an hour.  So I ate almonds which are high in potassium and drank water and they finally stopped.  Definitely  a symptom of dehydration and low potassium,  but being stressed aggrivation it badley.  Ok thanks for listening hope everyone feels better soon
There is diagnostic criteria to suggest whether a skipped beat is a problem or not.  There are many reasons why people have them.  The typical 24,48, 30 day, or even implanted 1 year rhythm recorders may not catch a smoking gun.  EP studies may not show anything.  And certainly you cannot count on EKGs for diagnostic problems.  They aren't even helpful for ruling in our out a heart attack.

However, if something is caught a pacemaker can make a night and day difference to PACs and PVCs.  Not everyone is eligible for this as they need certain cardiac conditions that warrant the implantation.  Diet, stress, actual disease, lifestyle, hormones can influence skipped beats.  It takes a deeply educated and epithetic electrophysiologist to study the problem, review all data/notes to recommend a course of treatment.

Each person is different.  A genetic issue may cause the skips, or heart disease, or a malfunction of the heart's electrical system--or the restaurant that you ate at a few hours earlier that over-salted your dinner.  No one is alike and each person must be diagnosed on their own case.  The ER is absolutely the worst place to look for a diagnosis.  It's there to rule out a major issue.  Outside of that it takes a lot of skilled teasing to find the problem.

Most doctors and even cardiologists will rule out PVCs or PACs unless associated with some specific symptoms as "normal."  Find a doctor you like, and discuss the issue.  You may need to travel the country to find an EP or cardiologist that understands the issue.

And yes, nerves--the Vagus Nerve in some people can cause an exaggerated response thus causing some problems like PVCs or PACs, among others.  Some meds in the benzodiazepine class can "chill" out the CNS which can help lower aggressive skips.  High Vagal tone is not the same as panic attacks.

Time to find a doc that wants to listen.  It may be hard, but if your symptoms are so severe, you may have to travel around to find an expert.
Hi! Is it normal to have a series of skipped beats when having MVP? I have felt this before but didnt cared about it since i have no idea what it was until it starts to bother me. Is it dangerous? How many skipped beats in a minute or in a day are benign? Im on a beta-blocker (concore) but still having them.
Try Vitamin B as a supplement.  Certainly worked for me and I have NO skipped beats after 2 years of a floppy heart.  I bought a Super B Complex and I take one each morning.  No caffeine no MSG.  Maybe for me it was a Vitamin B deficiency after all. Might be different for different people.  Try B. Might work for you.  Be sure it is a Super complex of the B vitamins
Try Vitamin B Super Complex.  Worked for me after 2 years of a floppy heart.  Be sure it is the Super B Complex.  Take one every day.  Worked for me.  Might be caused by different things in different people but Vitamin B complex is really working for me.  Not one skipped beat since I started taking Super B complex a week ago !!  Also, I cut out MSG and all caffeine.  I am overjoyed at finding a cure for mine.  good luck
Try Vitamin B Super Complex tablets.  I had a floppy heart for 2 years but 2 weeks ago took a Super Vitamin B complex and GUESS WHAT.... NO SKIPPED BEATS,  Maybe in my case it was a Vitamin B deficiency? Whatever, it is working for me.  Floppy hearts might have different causes in different people. Try vitamin B.. it might work for you too.  I take one every morning and my heartbeat is normal once more after 2 yrs. YIPPEEEEEEEE
Hello, I am a 23 year old female who has had occasional skipped beats in the past where id feel a thud in my chest and I would immediately grip my chest and get out of breath. I didn't think anything of it then because I know skipped beats are normal for everyone but im just the unfortunate one to feel them. They would go away as quickly as they came. But NOW, for a little over a week they've come back. The odd thing is that they haven't left. I've been having them everyday sometimes 20 a day or 30 or 40. So, that being said, something didn't seem right. I got an ecg and of course it was a normal sinus rhythm (because I wasn't having the pvcs at the time. They come on very randomly). I got blood work yesterday.  I'm currently waiting for those results to come in. I have no idea what started these random pvcs and I have no idea how to make them stop. Thats what is really baffling me. I'm a very healthy young women who is very active so I doubt I have a bad heart. This is just very confusing to me because I get them when I'm anxious (during my ems job) and also during rest when im not anxious at all... idk.
I  am  65  and  have  had  skipped  heart beats since  I  was  24 .They  are  worse  just  recently. My heart  seems  to  stop and  then  slide  into a  heavy  noticeable  thump. I  have  been  through  some family deaths  recently  which  have  affected  me  greatly  along  with  some  family  problems . I  have  stopped  drinking  caffeine .  I  have always  been  overweight  but  could  function perfectly  but  as  I  get  older  its  hard  to deal  with  the  skipped  beat  and  dull fuzzy  head. Occaisionally  I  will get  an  adrenaline  rush  especially  after  drinking  alcohol in  any  amount  such  as   the  odd  party.  Its  been  helpful reading  all your  similar symptoms  and  it  helps  . The  doctors  keep  telling  me  its in  my  head and  I  refuse  to  take  anti depression  meds . Good  luck  to  you  all.
I'm having the same issues myself. Im a 53 year old male and have had skipped beats in the past but nothing like this. I also went to the ER yesterday unfortunately it was when I was doing better so nothing came up as being irregular. Im having at least 5-10 skipped beats a minute with a pain behind my shoulder blade and a pain in my left shoulder when I breathe in heavy. Fortunately my EKG is exactly the same as one I had in 2009 so these episodes do not seem to be damaging the heart muscle. I just wish we could find a solution as this can be very debilitating as you cannot function normally. Im trying to figure out if its related to certain foods or something that triggers it but so far Im at a loss. If I find anything out or things change I will try to update everyone.
Hi I'm Ben I just got one right now. I use to get them almost everyday for about 1 year. Sometimes I would feel the stump so hard it would chocke me. I stop drinking caffeine and artificial suggar or any suggar at all I noticed that every time I drink any soda or coffee seems to hapend even more . I try to drink natural juices and seems to help me . just don't stress over it don't get panicked out just take slow breaths and sit for a little. I been having this condition since i was 16 when i started playing sports i was in the best condition of my life so i figured that over working or over exercise can get the heart a bit sore I notice and I take it as my heart is just taking a breather my condition has gotten better by sleeping more doing some work out and eating well. Above all not stressing. I hope this helps
Sorry I am 25 years old
I'm 57 and have been having skipped beats since 30. Thousands a day. And I'm still alive. I look at it this way, it's like mileage on a car. The less mileage the better. The less beats of our hearts the better. After years of skipped beats my heart is way stronger than those beating normally because my heart gets to rest. Problem solved. I'm gonna live to be 100, because my heart has saved up a lot of beats!!!! ***** to have a normal heart, don't you think?
Hello do u still get them and how often. Do u get them at night.
Hate to break it to u but your heart doesnt actually skip a beat, instead what happens is ur sinus node gets distracted because a premature beat is fired from else where. Therefore ur heart has to wait for the rxtra beat to pass through and then resume
Other than a stint 18 years ago I think my heart is in good condition.
I have a stress test every 2 years and do well on it. I think my heart doctor has been knowing I have skipped beats because he is always asking about it and I say I do not.  
     I take 25 Mg metoprolol daily and 20 Mg zocor daily. .
     Recently my blood pressure, which is usually in the 130s over 60/70 dropped for a while to anywhere from 106 to 96 over 35 to 45 and my heart rate to around 35 for a good while at a time. I felt some not too severe chest symptoms which I cannot describe. I did notice that my heart usually beats 3 or 4 beats then skips 2 to 3 beats, then maybe 6 or 7 beats  and skips 2 or 3 more.  The cardiologist none of that is anything to worry about. Get a stress test again in 6 months (my regular time) and come back in a year.
     I started checking blood pressure before medicine time.  If it is 120 or lower I skip the metoprolol.  
     Today my blood pressure was 124/74.  When I get up from a reclining position I almost blackout for 15 to 30 seconds. I have not felt like doing anything.  I did have 1 cup of caffeine coffee (my usual). I have had a  protein drink in a quart of almond milk, the one cup of coffee, a good bit of water, some lean port, a large serving of ice cream.  None of that has made me feel better or worse. At the present my pulse is 65 and I checked for 100 beats without a skip.  this has not happened in a long time.
Wishing the best for all of you.
I am a 70 yr old male and in pretty good health except for the skipped beats. I have been dealing with these pesky things for 45 yrs and have experienced all the symptoms named in most of the post on this board. I have been to
all kinds of docs, had many many test and still have the PVC's. I am still trying to find a solution. Considering a
nutrional approach with food based supplements designed for my problem. Good luck to all of you,
Mine started about a year ago. If anyone is interested in starting a group, message me blan_02 AT hot.mail (thats my address, minus the spaces)
Dear Ellen,

Many skipped beats are benign and nothing to worry about.
Many people have them and they can increase in frequency under stress, drinking too much caffeine etc.
If they become noticeable, it is good to have a doctor look at it, to be sure they are harmless.

I can imagine that you were worried when this happened to you, but now that an ECG is made, analysed (including the ectopic) and concluded to be ok, I think there is no need for further worry.
Often, the more you think about them (worry, stress), the more frequent they get (or seem to get).

Take care,
Ger

In general:
This is really a heart rhythm issue. If you post in the Heart Rhythm Community, you will probably get more knowledgeable responses.
Im so terrified of them ive been in bed 2 years. Thats my life. I live on tiny sips of melted ice cream as im scared to eat. List 4 stone n now weigh 8 st at 5'6" . Doctor neverhelps
No scientist knows, as yet, what causes benign PVCs.  There's no money in researching a condition that does not affect longevity, and benign PVCs do not affect that.

People try all kinds of stuff, from supplements to avoiding certain foods.  I've had ectopics for decades, and have never found, for sure, any food that helps or makes things worse.  

You can tell these erratic beats are not dangerous in two primary ways:  One is that you have been checked out at the ER and separately by paramedics, who found found that you have a normal, healthy heart and occasionally toss ectopic beats.  That is medical reassurance by people who have treated a lot of real cardiac trouble.  They've seen it all, or most of it, and they have no motive to dismiss your complaints if they see that you are truly in danger.

The second way you know that your ectopics are benign  is that you are physically able do all your normal stuff, without throwing up or faintness or the sense of an elephant sitting on your chest, and so on.  The beats are annoying and disturbing, but you are not physically disabled.  Emotionally perhaps, but that is a different story.

I notice that back in 2007, you mentioned that you had gotten considerable relief from your worry about PVCs by taking Lexapro.  It sounds as though it's once again time for a tuneup with your local anxiety therapist.
Whoops, sometimes a very old post here seems to have a date that makes it seem recent, and I was confused by that a minute or so ago, and responded to Ellen's quite elderly message.

I'm probably to late for this thread since it seems like no one has commented in a while, but I've been experiencing skipped beats (heart palpitations) like crazy for the past few weeks. I'm 23 now, and I've had heart palpitations in the past but never this much. Mine seem to only happen when I'm sitting or lying down, I'm sure they are happening when I'm up too I just don't notice them.

I went to the ER about 3 weeks ago due to chest pain (before my head palpitations became a problem) and they did 2 EKGs, 1 X-ray, and a few blood tests. They said that on my first EKG I had arrhythmia, but the second one was normal, they also told me that I was low on potassium. I don't know what to think, I'm very worried. They sent me home and told me to set up a doctors appointment, my doctor said that my potassium levels are normal now but my heart rhythm seems to be off but I'm scared it might be something bad. My heart palpitations are really starting to bug me it seems like I have 1,000 a day. I also recently went vegan and have been eating mainly plants and such, I've been taking a B12 supplement the past few days and I try to get enough magnesium in my diet. My doctor order me a holter monitor or whatever it's called but I'm scared I worry so much. I also forgot to mention that I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder and have been struggling with it for years, I'm not sure how that would cause palpitations or arrhythmia, I also have health anxiety (hypochondria) so I don't know if that can cause palpitations too??? I'm at a total loss and I just want answers.
Get your electrolyte levels checked, low potassium causes heart palpitations, muscle weakness plus having anxiety disorders elevates adrenaline which can cause palpitations making you much more aware of them.
Start meditating and listen to and create the most calm and relaxing environment you can.  Its reduced mine significantly.
Ive been having the same issue and at one point i was calling an ambulance like 4x a week. I have afib but i havent had an episode since my twins were born back in 2/2016.but recently im having serious palpatations.so ive been working with my cardiologist and pcp.i was diagnosed with generalized anxiety which is horrendous.i also have medical anxiety.this just started like 2 months ago.and my anxiety wakes me out of a deep sleepand i end upcalling an ambulance at 3am. They have tried to assure me its just anxiety.so ive learned breathing techniques.tbey put me on ativan and told me no caffeine which is a huge dealand look into yoga.as i type this i have heart palpatations
I have been through this. What I have been informed by my cardiologist is that a few skipped beats are not really that much of a concern. I have had up to 700 skipped beats over a 48 hour period - 700 seems like a lot, but you figure your heart is beating 60-80 times a minute around the clock and then it's not such a large figure.

In my discussions with my cardiologist is that they look for runs of skipped beats where they chain together, or runs of SVT (supraventricular tachycardia) - issues that come in groups and are accompanied by chest pain.

It is advisable to get anything your unsure of looked at by your doctor - I'm not telling anyone to ever skip that. I have to keep a close eye on things due to my other heart conditions - ascending aortic aneurysm, pulmonary aneurysm, slight aortic insufficiency, and a slight leak at the mitral valve.

It's not easy, but keep cool about it - anxiety will exacerbate problems.
i have the same problem  but i manage to make it disapear

here are some things you need to do and possibly it will help you too

1: drop cafeine

2:lose weigth

3: lose stress even with the help or antistress pills

4: balance your diet with a lot of variety of vegetables and fruits

5:check your  magnesium levels in your blood it helps arythmias in general and our most common arythmia

if needed take extra supplements

6: drink 30-50 ml virgin olive oil its help on many things

one of those is heart and veins

7 always drink every dayoil from fish for omega 3 its important

8; if you sweat a lot drink isotonic drinks and pills to balance
  it out since if you miss potasium sodium and other elecrolytes it can cause you those symtoms

1: drop cafeine

2:lose weigth

if needed take extra supplements

one of those is heart and veins

9 eat crushed garlic in a yugurt  3-4  pieces everyday dont

worrie it wont make your bloodpresure drop but it help the flow of blood in your body similar to Largrine

lowers bad holesterol lvls  and many other things like its a good anioxidant and many other things you wont believe

unless you try  like if you somebody got pneumonia for example...
Im beyond help. Totally destroyed. My Cardiology have discharged me! I mean how can they??? Im so broken! I cant live with these any more. Whats the point in going on when all my life is lying in bed terrified for the last 4years now. Im bitterly disappointed as i was promised an ablation now he says no! I cant go on. My previous life was like a butterfly i held in my hands for a few beautiful moments n now i let it go- it flew away and i cant get it back...
What was the reason to go back on the ablation?
Hello, I began getting these August 2017 for no real reason.  I first noticed them after a i got either a cold or sone really bad allergies. Out of nowhere,  i began to feel a single and random thump or thud in the center of my chest. It was almost like an extra beat or a missed one.  It's hard to but it's how it felt. Out was odd because i only felt them at rest and not during exercise.
I saw my doc which immediately said they were benign ectopic beats or PVCs caused by anxiety. He referred me to a cardiologists  just to make sure.  
Sure enough, the cardiologists found only 60 pvcs and 34 pacs in a 48 hr holter monitor.  They said even though that was happening, sinus rhythm was normal and they had no reason to be concerned.  Of course,  i felt differently; I needed more than that because i was losing my mind.  I could not stop checking my pulse,  blood pressure,  and researching for a diagnoses.  I requested an echo and stress test to which they gladly agreed to.  They Even ram a 7 day monitor because I gent more on done days than others. All came back within tolerance. They only caught PVCs and PACs again to which they saod they weren't even close to being anything to worry about.  They said my magnesium was a little low but not severely, and recommended i take a 300mg tab per day. My doctor gave me xanax to take as needed and asked if i wanted to get on anti depressants. I only accepted the xanax because I literally thought i was dying. I am 28, very active lifestyle,  and have 2 young children to support. It was crushing me to think I was leaving them so young.
This lasted 4 months before they suddenly stopped occurring. Im still following up for random lightheadedness but that's about it.  No more ectopic beats for now.
I kept this forum open on seperate page in my phone browser to help calm me down at times. We are all different and some of you may have something serious going on.  My advice,  calm your nerves by keeping your mind busy. Second,  Listen to the doctors advice, but follow up as frequently as you need to.  Lastly,  don't be scared to request certain test if you think it'll help give you spne piece of mind.  I pray every night now and will keep you all in my prayers.