How do I know when skipped heart beats are dangerous?
Over a week ago for absolutely no identifiable reason my heart started skipping way more beats than usual.  I can go hours with none and then have several hours where I'll have 2 or 3 a minute.  It's setting me over the edge.  I don't know if it's dangerous or not.  I went to the ER the other day and they basically didn't care at all and just had me take Ativan and sent me home.  Today I panicked and called the paramedics who came and did a 12 lead and they said normal sinus with one ectopic and so I didn't go back to the ER.  I had a normal echo 3 years ago.  I already don't eat caffeine or sugar.

Please reassure or sympathize with me.  I'm going insane and have no idea what's causing this out of the blue.  Why would they suddenly increase for no reason whatsoever?
I had 9 in a row on Sunday and all most pass out my life flash befor me
chesc you thyriod my heart DID THE SAME THING MOST OF THE TIME ITS CAUSED BE AN OVERACTIVE THYRIOD ASK YO DCTOR TO RUN SOME THYRIOD TESTS ON YOU
I have this issue and the ER gave me adivan which I took yesterday and it didn't help much. Now I'm afraid to take them after reading about withdrawal. I am sick of the feeling I keep getting. I have a sense of doom that rushes from my head and down my chest. I just want to feel normal again but it feels as though I am trapped and cannot get out. I feel as if I can't find myself anymore. I try to relax and do things to take my mind off of it and then out of nowhere the feeling rushes through me. I don't have a regular doctor and no insurance.  The ER says my chest x ray and ekg were normal, as well as blood tests. Is there a dietary change I can make? I am on my 3rd day of having this and am hating it so much.  My husband keeps telling me I'm ok but I just look at him and wish I could feel normal again. I am afraid of taking daiky meds. Where did this come from? Is it from what I eat? Sorry this is making me panic more.
I BEEN FEELING EXACTLY THE SAME ASK YOUR DOCTOR TO RUN SOME THYRIOD TESTS DONE YOUR THYRIOD CAN HAVE A HYGE IMPACT ON YOUR HEART AND BODY I HATE MEDICATION TOO IT CAUSED ME DEPRESSION DONT TAKE MEDICATION DOCTORS GIVE U MEDICATION THAT MAKE U FEEL WORSE JUST TO SENT U HOME DO WAT I DID KEEP BOTHING THEM TILL THEY TAKE U SERIOUSLY LOOK DEEP INTO THE PROBLEM SOMETIMES ITS SOMETHING IN YOUR BODY DATS CAUSES THESE SYMPTHOMS AND IT GROWS INTO SOMETHING WORSE GOOD LUCK GET YOUR THYRIOD CHECKED OK
I to have had them now for many years, but decided to come back on and do some research as this has been the longest stretch...since early evening yesterday. I am concerned too. I've done the monitor but of course, nothing happens when I have it on. I do find that my diet plays a large role. Chocolate, coffee, pizza, and potato chips are dead ringers for me. I can almost guarantee that they'll set it off. May not be the case for everyone, but for me, I know I have to stay away from these, at least eat much less of it. I would keep a very close eye on what you're eating. It could be linked to an allergy reaction. I am allergic to cheese, chocolate and potatoes! Through the years I never really knew how my body reacted to these foods, but now, I've noticed that's the symptom. Hope this helps. Try not to worry.
I have had this for the past four years should I be worried it does scare the heck out of you. My heart skips a beat then you lose your breath it just started to happen more often when I am doing stuff I don't feel it I feel it when I am just sitting there
I have been dealing with PVC's for over 2 years now.  I wondered if the "Z-Pak" that I had taken plenty of, and was reported to cause Arthymia was the culprit.  I come from a family with absolutely no heart ailments on both sides.
So, when I noticed the "skipped" beat, I got concerned.  After a Stress test, Echo, many EKG''s, 1 day monitor's, 2 day monitors, 30 day event monitor, my Cardiologist decided to send me to an Electrophyicist.  Now. . .For 2 years I wasn't given any medications, and was told to come back every few months or so.  Now after over 2 years and thousands of PVC's per day. . . They want to get serious concerning the skipped beats."What?" Why wait for  2  years, I ask, then all of a sudden send me to an EP?  . . .  The doc says the PVC's will weaken the heart.  Well I ask "Why have we waited all of this time, then?"f
I am becoming a little concerned with any diagnosis, to tell you the truth.  I am a 67 year old female, I feel younger, and am basically healthy, with a lot of muscle and skeletal problems, though. I wonder if the R.A. And other problems are causing the skipped beats, because of inflammation. . .??
I also have been exposed to a lot of "Energy" and wonder if it has messed with my electrical system.  
I am really tired of these skipped beats controlling my life. . .  I find if I try to forget, it does seem to help some.  I will post after I see the EP, if I decide to even bother. . .  Just too many different "perhaps its this or that" diagnoses, and no real answers.
JJ
WELL THATS WHAT DOCTORS DO THEY WAIT TILL U DIE AND DONT CARE THEY MADE ME WAIT ALSO UNTILL MY THYRIOD GOT OUTA CONTROL AND STARTED MESSING WITH MY HEART THEY DONT GET RUGHT ON THE PROBLEM THEY MAKE U WAIT PURPOSSELY SO U CANT GET WORSE THAN WANA HELP DATS HOW THEY MAKE MONEY
Wooow.. you all made me feel so relieved. I do have strong family history of heart attack and I myself have high cholestrol. Should i be worry then?
These all symptoms are mostly related to having tight hip flexors. So as per my knowledge, you must also be suffering from Hyperlordosis (Extended lower back arch). You should do, all hip opening yoga poses daily to get your spine back in correct position and relax tightened hip flexor and abdominal muscles.
I have the same thing I get a weird bubble feeling in my chest right when they happen and then it feels like my heart flip flops and it skips a beat or two . After that it sometimes races like crazy or just goes back to normal. I too have gone to the ER and he did blood tests and hooked me up for two seconds to an EKG and put me on a heart monitor for about two hours. They also gave me a holter moniter for 24 house that caught nothing. The weird thing is I can go for like months without one and then all of a sudden I will ER them for a few days straight? I'm just wondering if the tests I had are enough to make sure my heart is really okay! I know that when I exercise or anything like that my heart is fine and I don't experience anything weird so I am thinking and hoping that my heart is okay ?
I DID THE SAME THING DONE NO KEEP GETTING TESTS DONE DONT GIVE UP IM DOING THAT RIGHT NOW ASK TO SEE A HEART DOCTOR OK
Hi all.. I have had problems since I was about 12.  I had my first panic attack watching a spider movie with my parents.  They took me to the dr. and found out that I had Mitral Valve Prolapse.  I am 45 now, and I can tell you that these attacks have had different phases as I have grown older.  They started out when I got into a fight with my ex husband and it took my breath.  Well, then it started happening every month, before my time of the month.  Now, I have had a complete Oopharectomy, and 8 months later, it now happens daily, many times a day.  Sometimes making me breathless.  I am suffering with depression which goes along with MVP, and my chest feels like something is going to jump out of it, along with missed beats, and palpitations.  Sometimes, I feel like I would rather die than to have this constant feeling of it.  I have no insurance, no job, and can't afford a dr.  I had a heart catherization done about 10 years ago, and had a 10% blockage, but the dr. said i had the heart of a teenager.  So many things, but mine was and is mainly about hormones.  I don't take them at all, so my body is deprived of the hormones that make your body function properly.  
I have suffer a skipping in my heat beat off and on over several years, and it always takes me by surprise and my breath away every time, even after all these years.  I have seen a large number of doctors an with countless examines of EKG's and the likes. All they ever say is that all of us have them a most never feel it, I diffidently feel it. What none have ever told me is why I can feel them, the one thing I would love to know.   To the ones that say it make them fearful to go to sleep, there are several reasons why I'm not worried, thought after the news of a main character of duck dynasty being removed from the show for what he said to the media , I'm not sure what I can say because of faith, my first advise is faith, other than that, the best thing you can do is have your heart checked as regularly as possible, besides if you worry about it, you're listing to it, and no sleep.
I hope I haven't offended anyone with what I have written, and hope it has helped!
having this sh!!t for 2nd day. skippin/extra thump like roughly 10time in an hour. everytime can feel heart beating...fell like something wrong wit my heart. gonna see doc tomolo..hopefully nothing happens...
THANK YOU ALL for sharing your experiences and insights regarding skipped heart beats. I happened on this site last night after suffering through a series of unnerving episodes that kept me awake and drove me to Google.  It was truly reassuring to discover that I am not alone with this.  It was also comforting to see how so many of you are managing with it . You are all now my new BFF .  Like many of you I have deleted caffeine and nicotine from my diet and have found that has helped to minimize the frequency but not eliminate the episodes. Also, MSG in foods can cause increased flip flops for me.   I have found that the episodes do disappear briefly when I concentrate on something that distracts me completely, so there seems to be a cognitive/psychological influence somewhere in all of this.  Although I am not aware of any stress, I believe that stress ( whether acknowledged or not) does have SOME influence.  I think so because after reading your many comments last night , the episodes have diminished in frequency and intensity today as I was relieved beyond belief on discovering and reading the many comments on this site last night.  The episodes still occur but are not as disturbing today. Best wishes to everyone, and, as they say in Old England, Keep Calm and Carry On !!
I believe I have something very similar.  Wine and chocolate contribute to it.  It turns out the problem was acid reflux.  I understand it affects the vegas nerve and can  cause all sorts of issues.  I have taken previcid and Dexilant and both make me feel great.  Also when I was drinking decaf coffee, I thought it must have some caffeine in it just like you did.  A year later, I realize it was the acid in the coffee triggering everything.

Carl
Hey I to think acid reflux plays a part , I had 7 hours of non stop every other heart beat last sat night, I burped Burger King whopper threw most of it they went away, been stressed for having them so long not eating good, today felt small flutters again, my stomach still not good from stress, took a couple tums they seem to help flutters went away,stomach still feels burn and not good so will keep eating tums praying flutters stay away, hate having so many and for such long hours
Hi craggiest...I have been reading all these posts and can relate to yours as u say it happens when u excersize...I have exactly same symptoms flutters...skipped beats...even feels like it goes up to mt throat sometimes...I had an EKG and stress test all came out fine but of course my heart didn't feel the skips during the tests...it's so scary I sometimes even feel dizzy...they say its stress but I'm not stressed till after it happens...have you had any success with finding what causes yours..this ...G
Wow can acid reflux really play a part in this skip n flutter heartbeat....I eat tums like candy since I get heartburn all the time...had EKG n stress test and all came back fine but I'm so stressed over it that I don't believe the results are correct...I feel like a crazy person wanting to go to dr after dr....have you had any luck finding something to help...G
I'm 53year old female. I also have been having irregular heart beats. since I had what they said may have been a clot or light stroke Dec 12th 2013. I don't feel like my self since that happened either.  My heart doesn't seem to want to go back to regular rhythm after that. It does effect your life so much. I to would like to wake up feeling like I did before Dec.12th. I've had some things in the passed with my heart beating to slow & put in the hospital. They think those May have been from food allergies. I never thought I would ever be going through this at this age. I'm a care giver for my daughters two sons. I home school them also. I would like to have a support group for this also. I try not yo think about it. It seems to happen more when I'm sitting.
Thanks,Linda
I understand everything that is being said but my fear is when I get a few PVCs in a row....it feels like my heart is not going to go back to a normal rythym. I make myself cough and it stops.  My greater fear is that it will happen while I am sleeping and I won't know it so I won't cough and my heart will not go back to a normal beat.  Any comments?
I get the same feelings as you do.  Up in the throat.  Do you get the skips in a bunch and fear your heart not going back to a normal rythym?  That's what scares me and also that it might happen at night and I will die.
Hi Linda,

The worst thing is worry about it.  I know it sounds harder than it is. In my case, once I get those irregular beats, it can last for days. It's just a matter of getting your mind to be calms when they happen.  Just remember, once you calm down, you still have adrenalin in your blood from  your anxiousness that may last a few hours.  So you may still get some off beats during that time.  When this happens, just remain calm.  Eventually your adrenalin will subside and eventually you'll be back to normal.

What I find that helps are the following:
- aspirin
- hawthorn
- mothers worth
- and most importantly, keeping my mind off it

I hope this helps,

Ross
same thing here, I get runs of PVC/PAC and coughing will stop them - that's weird right? I worry that one day the coughing won't work. They are getting worse as i get older, and being peri-menopausal doesn't help probably.
I understand exactly how you feel. Our lives are a precious gift from Jehovah God. We don't want to loose it. I worry every day that I will go
Into cardiac arrest. My husband doesn't understand my anxiety. I do though look to the time very soon when Revelation 21:4 will become a
Reality. It says: And God will wipe out every tear from their eyes and death will be no more. Neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore
The former things will have passed away. As for all of us I'm sad we have to endure this daily.
The same exact thing is happeneing to me:  a skipped beat fallowed by a hard one like there's some clog starting.  This is scary as hell.  I just noticed this really and have just begun to look into it and this is the first I've found that matches.  I'm going to try the Ubiquinol and magnesium a try and do some more reading.  Yikes
  I have read most of the post about you all having (Skipped Beats, Fluttering, Skipped Beat Followed by Hard Beat, Racing Pulse). I suffered from the exact same issues as all of you have. No history of heart problems, Mild Hypertension, Elevated Cholesterol.
  When mine first started, I figured I was having a Heart Attack. Then it became so overwhelming that it basically took over my life. I to went to Doctor after Doctor, had Stress Test, Heart Monitors, EKG's, Sonogram Of my Heart. One Doctor after another said I was fine. And after I would leave the Dr. Office, and I would start thinking of the NEXT Doctor or Test I could schedule.
  It was like I was not going to be happy until I found a Physician that said YES your Heart is BAD! I could not accept that what we were taught your heart goes, thump, thump-thump,thump-thump. Not Thump,thump - PAUSE- thump-thump-thump, HARD-THUMP...etc. I to became very stressed, could not sleep. I just knew that the NEXT thump, it would just STOP beating. It's very scary to think every second of the day your going to have a Heart-Attack....
  But in the end, I finally just became ANGRY... I said Fine, if your going to STOP beating, the go ahead. I am SICK of worrying each second of my life. So I have continued to go on with my life and I let my heart do whatever it wants to. I know that goes against what we are taught to do. But when people who are Specialist in a field keep telling you you are FINE, then you can either believe them or continue to stress, worry and continue to waste your life letting this control you. I promise you after a while, you will not even notice them, and if you do, you will have peace that it's nothing....
  But this is just how I have chosen to handle my 'bout with this. And I am in NO way telling you that if you have a strange pain or something out of the ordinary happen that you should just ignore it. But as far as temporary heart skips, or fluttering goes, it is a "Normal" process in life as you can tell by the amount of people on here who are having the SAME problem and all of us are being told we are fine.....
  My wish is that each of you find Peace with this stressful situation and that you will find your own way to deal with it and mostly that you all have a Healthy Heart and Lifestyle....
I am 30 yrs old. I just started this weekeend with missing beats and its scarry what do you recomend i do. My hearth beats 3 times then stopr goes 15 more then stops its a repeat that doesnt stop. I can feel it and it causes shortness of breath and panic.
Try giving up caffeine.   It really made a difference with me. No more colas, coffee and even chocolate ! It still happens once in a while, but not very often.

I have had this condition for at least 25 years (I am 72). I, like many, have had to go through all the tests, wearing the monitor, listen to condesending doctors who think you are nuts since they can't hear it.  I had a major event and had to go to a hospital for the full gamit of tests.  All for nothing.  Then one doctor said lets try this.  It was/is an anti seizure medication and mild sedative.called Clonazepam, 1mg.  If I am having a big "event" where it feels like someone has hit me in the chest with a hammer and the resulting flutter and skipped beats, I take one and within 15 to 20 mins. it is gone and I am fine.  Can't take a lot of it, but it does get  your through the night and when you have big issues.  All I can say it is worked for me.  Ask your doctor if you can try it.

Hang in there everyone, remember there is nothing wrong with us. Except my father died of a similar thing.  I keep remembering that.
Wow! I too take klonopin. I am 58. Started having skipped beats last November after a very stressful job ,too much alcohol and caffeine. So I gave it all up. Then had all test done. I was on inderal for panic attacks and mitral valve prolapse since 1986. But never had skipped beats then. Now on to toprol xl and they have almost stopped. But anxiety, high stress does contribute to the skipped beats as I notice them more when stressed or anxious. Meditation helps anxiety and stress. Fatigue and acid reflux makes them worse also. I take nexium and rest. Most of all I notice when I stop stressing about them or distract myself they go away. Doctor baffled! You figure. If you find something that slows them down or stops them do just that. And pray.  Hey at 72 you are doing okay. Hope I make it that far!
Hi,my name is -Ashlee I was just told by my  Dr.my heart is skipping beats ,,for the last two year when I race walk I feel so fatigue that I faint . Even when I walk on the treadmill I feel so sick. The EKG  show I have a problem with my heart,so I have ,,, scheduled to go to a Cardiology-OCC. Thanks for this post.
Bravo!!! Getting ticked off was what pulled me to my feet and got me past an unhealthy, self absorbed obsession with the bull frog leaps and bangs of my heart rhythm.  I got ticked off and pretty much said, "OK, go on and kill me but until then I am going to live!"  Later I found out that I had hypoglycemia and after years of compulsively eating sugar I was able to cut out the simple sugars and my heart stopped bopping about.  I love your reply and the respect you have for the ways we as individuals meet life challenges.  We are courageous.  Life is scary until you surrender that you will die but until then you choose to live.  Took me a long time to get it.  Since then I have survived much.  I will remain in service to humanity until the last beat. Seize the Day.
I have had these same issues for years and am having a bout with it currently. One thing I found was that if I had ANYTHING with aspartame in it, it would make my heart beat very loud and hard.  Loud to the point where you can't sleep and feels like it is going to bang out of your chest.  So stay away from diet pop and especially gum.  Watch your foods that you consume and check your labels for this.  Another one for me is that I am allergic to lanolin,wool, lamb, so anything that comes from sheep.  I was taking about 5000 IU of Vitamin D a day until I found out that is sourced from sheeps wool lanolin.    I had been taking Vitamin D and having many issues with the heart skipping beats.  Once I stopped taking it, my heart settled down.  I now take Vitamin D sourced from mushrooms.  Hope this helps some of you out there.
A drink of coconut juice I bought form Costco called Vita Coco seems to relieve my PVC.  So I drink one or two of this every day.
Have had this problem for 10 years. I'm 41 now. Didn't know at first, Finally after my 3rd holter it show to be PVC's. Dr say it no reason for concern though I don't get them often but when I do they are feeling worst each time. I'm thinking if going back to the Doc. 'taken me long to finally learn that the more I worry the worst it gets.
Oh my gosh, You have explained just what I'm going threw!!!! Today I feel worried more so then ever about my heart, it's really jumpy..... and am waiting for it to pass again. Weeks will go by and nothing, and today my heart is doing it's circus act. I am 100 pounds over weight and am going to lose this weight once in for all because I think it's causing it more and more to jump and skip beats. Take hb pressure med's and med's for cholesterol , thyroid meds,metformin, have sleep apniea, and feel like I'm really in a bad way lately. Have thought of weight loss surgery .....maybe that will get the weight off. But lately with the heart jumps all day ......all day they go on .....I am scared out of my mind and think I will get this weight off on my own. Will lose some weight and see if it goes away, if not am going to the Dr. Have had every test a million times and they tell me the same thing, nothing wrong, don't worry about it. Don't like my life at all...this is a horrible way to live and can't understand why the Dr's can't fix a jumpy heart!  Take a heart drug too ....Bisprolol sp., very low dose. I have had this for about 10 years, (Sinus tachycardia)     Great reading what everyone is writing and does help a lot...God bless us all and help us live and accept this heart problem comfortably .  
I am 68 years old and been having flutters, skips since I was 25. I believe
once you start having these things they never go away completly. I've
tried everything, but I do believe gas and heartburn do contribute alot
to the problem.
to the problem.
i had those for close to 20 years i heard garlic helps with them so thought i will try it and to my surprise it did help quite alot
i have 2 days a week a few cloves of garlic  chopped up on toast with melted cheese
i have been experimenting for a while now and the week i dont have the garlic n cheese i start getting them again
not much just 4 to 5 cloves a week
I have been dealing with anxiety/depression/stress sense April of 2014. It started with heart palpatations and heart pounding when I would lie down.  Then while at work I had an episode at work one day.  I thought I was going to have a heart attack or a stroke.  I had all the symptoms of a heart attack but it never happean.  My blood pressure got up to 173/82.  I went to the ER, had all the tests, and they sent me home.  Said I was dehydrated.  I went and saw a cardiologist and had all the tests that could be done (stress test, ultra sound, chest films).  Doctor said there was nothing wrong with my heart.  I had my tyroid glade checked checked and it was all good.  I am now taking 150mg of Zoloft and 30mg remeron to sleep.  They have helped but Im not 100%.  More like 75% on a good day.  I still have heart palpatations, chest pains, back pains and etc.  All the symptoms you can think of.  I have heard that Lyme disease can cause alot of simlier symptoms but I have not taken a test yet.  

For the longest time I have thought I was gonna die anyday now from a heart attack or a stroke.  I would have the feelings again and hoped I was not alone so that if I did pass out or have a heart attack someone would be around to give me CPR.  I have two kids and it scares me to leave this world with them so young.  Im 34, dont smoke, have cut down on the alcohol, eat right, and I work out constantly.  I can run under an eight min. mile.  

Perhaps I work out to much or dont get enough sleep or have to much stress.  I am at the point of anger also and just gonna let my heart do what it does.  We all seem to have a laundry list of things that happean to us, are worse at different times, can new ones that pop up.  Reading all of your posts helps and I hope that what I have posted helps.  He strong and dont give into sadness and depression when it comes to these things.  Get out and live your life.  
Hi there,

I, too, have been getting irregular heart beats. Last month, I was sitting down at my computer after having a contentious conversation with my father and all of a sudden I felt like I was having a heart attack. I had my brother call the paramedics and they ran an EKG and said everything was fine--might be stress they said as my blood pressure was high. Now mind you, I have never been in that situation before..I have never felt like that before. I felt humiliated calling for the paramedics, but I know what I felt. Now since that incident, I get irregular heart beats (like skipping beats) or feeling of anxiety. I'm not sure what it is, but I do plan on making an appointment with a cardiologist.

I have been reading several forums as well and I am glad I am not the only one in this situation.

I am a 41 year old male and on New Years Day I woke up with my heart really racing. After a few hours my heart rate slowed down but I was noticing what seemed like a pause and then a flutter. After a couple of days I then had some tightness in my chest, which also went after another few days. I am still left with this pausing and fluttering. I have had blood test ECG and all come back normal. Yesterday I developed a cold on top of this and my heart rate rose to 90-100 Bpm. While it was high I didn't experience any heart irregularities, but today as my heart rate has come down I am experiencing them again especially when it slows to 55-60. I am waiting for echocardiogram in 5-6 weeks, hopefully this will shed some light. I'm also not sure if it is anything to do with the alcohol drank the previous night. Any thoughts please.
I'm like you,65 and had them since I was 30..Most people don't realize that a 300mg Magnesium pill a day will eliminate them for some people.My husband used to have atrial fibrillation but rest and magnesium cured him.
Just a reminder that this issue is common but also scary.More than likely it is stress but you need to see a cardiologist.The Dr has to see what its doing when its acting up.so many people on here say that its nothing but a person that may have died from it cant post on here.See a Dr for sure.I have had this happen to me about 3 times in my adult life and all times during high stress and its scary to say the least.You also need to learn how to regain proper breathing all day every day.  
Yes  I  have been going through this for 16 years. I first noticed while i was taking Tylenol pm nitely,  and i suspect the active  ingredient  dyphenhydramine had something to do with it. Same active  in benadryl.  I noticed that when I started taking your dude he returned with a vengeance also gas and acid reflux seems to play a large role its scary as hell my heart will beat very hard  skip a beat and then a very hard boom . Then it feels like i drop on a rollercoaster and lose my breath. I also worked  as an electrical worker  for many years and was zapped my fair share. I dont remember  it ever taking a path through my torso to ground though. Triggers for me are caffeine  alcohol  and the worst nicotine  from vaporizer.  Strangely       amphetamine seems to correct by stabilizing continuous  steady slow but    hard beat. When i run out watch out bom bom bom bom............BOOM every   30 seconds. Can someone please tell me why d-amp regulates the problem.  Its supposed to fo the oppisite, not in my case. Im to lazy to synth anymore so im out noe and oaying for it as ringo stsr is playing adrum solo in my chest. Alprazolam is aldo a life saver with this ****. Under the tounge for it melts snd seems to hit wuicker and work.  I have been so frazzled  i crush then and hoover it up my nostrils for almost relief.  It has impeded  my life significantly,  as i dare travel  without my jar og trusty xanax  and  enough dpeed to set my tickers pace right. This however is dangerous  for my freedom. I started with the amphet for that rush snd energy now its strictly  medicinal,  as it lost its magic long ago. Is there an alternative for me besides my current regimen. By no means am i insinuating  anyone  try my form of self medication for fear of dire consequences. Please if someone knows why this odd remedy seems to alleviate  my symptoms please reply  back and let me know thank you.
i have had palpitations for yrs, 7 yrs ago i was diagnosed with high blood pressure and breathing issue. i was not treated I had severe migraines every day and sometimes for 2 weeks straight. they would cripple me. then migraines eased up some. then id jut feel dizzy or weak. in 2011 i had a stroke. I was 37 yrs old. everyone that witnessed the stroke knew it was a stroke without a doubt. i was shoved out of my docs office saying it was amigraine headache. still having all the above symtpoms but then my body was lopsided a bit, i had svere nerve damge in the back of my head, and a back issue that makes my hip give out at any time. and the pain is bad. other symptoms had increased, had 2nd stroke in 2012. again was shoved out of docs office as him saying it was amigraine, yet took me 3 months working by myself to be able to walk right again. legs started shaking after second stroke and that shaking has also incresed. 2013 i had my third stroke. i couldnt work and wass hoved off as having amigraine headache again. so as you can imagine my anxiety levles sky rocketed after these strokes. never knowing when id have another one that would either kill me or leave me helpless. so i seena therapist. in a chapter form anxiety workbook it states its important to rule out heart disease as the cause of anxiety. I went to my doc and requested i be tested for heart disease afte rhe laughed about it he sent me for an ecg, it was bad enough i was sent next day for a stress test and the doc that did the stress test prescribed nitro glycerine right then. 2 days later doc told me i have a severe heart condition and he was referring me to a cardioligist. they set up a stress echo right away and found i have a bicuspid aorta.My doc told me of what i have and said it will kill me and it dont matter what i eat or di and to go live it up. my cardioligist said theres nothing wrong and ill see you in 3 yrs. i went back and told my doc this and he has agreed witht the cardioligist and refuses me any referrals to another cardiologist or bck to my neurolgist . my neurolgist is the only one that tried finding out what was wrong. so i went to the medical clinic and the doc there has also refused any referrals. I can no longer do anything pphysical i cannot walk stairs without my legs shaking, short of breath, weakness, dizziness, irregular beats that sometimes skip 2-3 beats at a time. yet i have found out there is a surgery that can be done  and there is treatment. yet im being refused anything that will help me to get better. I ive in a place where health care is paid for. so why wont any doc give me a referral? why am i left to live my life on a couch and bed? and the horrible anxiety that comes with knowing my time is ticking and im still not even monitored for high blood pressure or being treated for it????? angry,sad,frustrated here.
Yes that is like what happens to me.  Count 13-15 beats then it skips a couple then 13-15 beats and so on.  What is going on???
Hello I'm 14 years old and I've been having these heart skips for months now and I'm really worried I went to the doctors once & hospital also they said it was stress and some anxiety. I got blood work done & an EKG. My family is in a very tough situation and there's yelling everyday so it's a lot on me. It just seems like there's something wrong with my heart but I don't know the doctor said I was fine and the hospital. It just seems like it'll never go away no matter what. Btw I used to stay up till 5 am/ 7 am in the morning. I'm starting to go to sleep earlier but they still won't go away and I'm afraid to fall asleep. Can't even exercise without my heart skipping :( I'm thin too btw
Hi. I think the best thing you can do is have a chat to your parents or one of them. Explain how the situation is harming your health and how it causes you to worry so much. No matter how bad their situation, it isn't worth ruining the health of anyone over. Is there a relative you can stay with for a couple of weeks? I think you are in a vulnerable position and you should have mentioned it at the hospital. I know it's hard to do at the moment, but I'm hoping over time you can. Don't take any notice of the shouting, just think "no way will any kid of mine go through this when I grow up". This will make you a much stronger person overall. If you can, go to the Doctors and have a blood test for Potassium and Magnesium levels, these are very important metals for a healthy heart rhythm.
I get that same bubble feeling.  It's been going on for about six months. I also have a pain in my chest just below the sternum.  It's mostly on the right side. Also, I get relief when I lie down. Do these things happen to you?
I just stumbled here via google. I also suffer from this skipping. It is starting to drive me really crazy. My doctors blame it all on anxiety, even though I don't feel like I am really having anxiety. Anyway, the reason I am writing to you, is the bible passage you referenced. I did a facebook quiz today, It said, what bible verse is meant for you. Mine was this same one from Revelations. What is this verse saying? I take this as a sign, because I have prayed so much for relief from this. The verse confuses me as to what the meaning is. My anxiety wants me to believe, I am going to die soon. My logic is telling me, it's all gonna go away soon, without dying. What is your understanding of this verse?
wow. I too have been dealing with the heart skipping fluttering and bouncing. I only feel it when I'm lying down or sitting still. Had my physician check and she sent me to a cardiologist which ran all tests and blood work and found nothing! They said it was from anxiety and prescribed anxiety pills which I'm on but still I don't feel anxious in anyway and I still get the palpitations on a daily basis. Sigh, I've been dealing with this since October 2014. I'm scared and frustrated
I have the same. I have had EKG's angiogram,  ect. I have long Q-T so they tell me.
Long QT syndrome (LQTS) is a heart rhythm disorder that can potentially cause fast, chaotic heartbeats. These rapid heartbeats may trigger a sudden fainting spell or seizure. In some cases, your heart may beat erratically for so long that it can cause sudden death.

You can be born with a genetic mutation that puts you at risk of long QT syndrome. In addition, certain medications and medical conditions may cause long QT syndrome.

I am on Toprol XL and Xanax.
I have had skips for quite some time, I keep getting told it's nothing to worry about but it's worrying when I get them back to back. They always seem to happen when I try to sleep too continuously jolting me awake and making me lose sleep and is it normal to have chest pain after a few skips? The pain is dull but there.
Can you please elaborate as to what type of magnesium supplement you are using?
Get rid of the MGS's in your food and diets. Make sure you get enough sleep to let your stress levels drop to a minimum. Cut back on caffeine, soda's, and alcohol. Eat more alkaline based foods instead of acid base. Do only 30 min exercise per day. Walla, you'll be fine
I've recently gone through the same thing.  No family history of heart problems, I'm thin and blood pressure is normal; more or less completely healthy. Got divorced, took on the house mortgage, was eating poorly, no exercise.  I then noticed that my thumb was tingly for about a week.  I decided to get back in shape, and went for a run...  After the run I noticed my heart pounding in my ears, was skipping beats every 4 beats, and then pausing and starting again with a 'thump'.  This didn't stop, and I thought I may be having a heart attack.  My chest tightened up and I phoned my sister who is a doctor, about an hour later to see if I should be calling an ambulance.  She said that if I were having a heart attack, I'd be dead already (as the chest pain and numbness in the arm had lasted over an hour).  Went to the doctor the next day, and EKG showed nothing.  Went to Cardiologist 2 days later for Electrocardiogram, Stress test... He said everything is fine, having Pre-Ventricular Contractions and Pre-Atrial Contractions is common, as sometimes the heart muscles create circuits of their own and mess with the rhythm of the heart.  He said there is no evidence to show that this condition damages the heart over time.  Of course I didn't believe him; even though he's a world class Cardiologist.  I did the 24 hour Holter monitor a few weeks later, and it showed a massive amount of PVC's and PAC's.  Still, the cardiologist didn't have any concerns.  I had concerns because I have never had this arrhythmia before.  "I am not fine", I told myself.  I needed to get some answers.

I had the fortune, however, to see a really good Therapist who specializes in Post Traumatic Stress.  After my heart started skipping beats, and chest pain and arm tingling, I thought I could die at any moment for a few weeks.  I wasn't able to sleep and started having terrible nightmares about dying, and my family dying.  What the therapist told me made a huge difference.  The Amygdala is a part of the brain; whose job is to look for threats and then put your body into alarm mode if it senses one (fight, flight, or freeze).  When you're under a lot of constant stress, something happens (perhaps a brain pathway miswires) and your Amygdala thinks that certain triggers are life threatening and sends the alarm to your body.  When this happens, the symptoms typically are:  mouth goes dry, and digestion shuts down so you don't feel like eating, shallow breathing and dizziness due to hyperventilation, tight shoulders/back and thighs (preping to fight or run), and increased heart rate with shots of Adrenalin which cause the sensitive feeling in your chest and potentially messes with rhythm.  I had all of these and I noticed the tingling in my arm was due to muscles in my back being really tight.

After months of therapy for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, meditation, exercise, cutting out caffeine and alcohol, eating well, and getting a good sleep cycle going (sleep hygiene), and Yoga; I feel almost normal again.  A lot of it is that I'm not worried about my heart like I used to, but I also dealt with most of the stress triggers in my life.  Hopefully I can retrain my brain into setting off the fight or flight alarm only when truly in a life threatening situation.

My guess is the cause (for me) is hormonal and psychological. My sister also mentioned that the medical world doesn't really understand anxiety that well.  My heart arrhythmia is much better now, and only gets crappy after a strong cup of coffee, or stress.  I went for a run yesterday, and for the most part was beating like a clock.  So try not to worry everyone!  I had been under such constant stress that I forgot what feeling relaxed was.  You might want to try exploring this avenue yourself.
I also experience this I'm post menopausal my heart rate got to 158 with blood pressure high scares the cap out of me .Cardiologist says that it's hormones
All the above helps
Find out what sets your skipped beats
-caffeine -stress- chocolate - sugar -alcohol -exercise
or any of the foods or msg or whatever.  Each person has their own "triggers".  Eliminating these will greatly decrease your frequency of skipped beats.  (they will never be eliminated entirely).  
***ASK YOUR DOCTOR FOR A BETA-BLOCKER*****  -a very small dose will help emensely.  
These skipped beats are NOT life threatening.  Carry on as before.     Get  regular check-ups and enjoy life.
My heart beat skipping started last week. Every time my heart beat skips, I get some strange feeling in my stomach. Before I thought, that my stomach is having indigestion but when I checked with our home stethoscope I realised that it was heart and it was skipping beat. I believe that the various chemicals makes the heart signals. I am trying to relieve some stress, trying to improve my sleep and back to home fresh food and I am sure that it will go away.
Hi, just want to know if what type of magnesium supplement your husband is using?, thank you very much....
Go to the health food store and ask them which one is the best, as there are different strengths. I was told the powder was the best and had to take 1 or 2 tsp. at night in a glass of water at night about 20 minutes before bedtime. And it worked after about 3/4 weeks. Then I went over to Super Bio  Magnesium  capsules. Buy it from the Chemist Discount. About $14, Aust. dollars for 100 caps. as that is much easier to take and take one in the morning and 1 at night about 20 min. before bedtime.
CURED NOW... I had tests confirm over 2,000 missed beats a day--was physically and emotionally draining--have your Doctor perform lab tests--my Vitamin D was dangerously low--I now take 10,000 units a day and eat a banana daily--now perfectly normal!! Immediate results..
I believe taking Lipitor and antacids both contribute to the low levels of potassium and Vitamin D...

hope this helps.
Hi,  It sounds as if might you have a panic disorder.  Mine started with heart palpitations, which in turn scared me even more, and finally came to the point of feeling as if I was going to pass out.  I also hyperventilated.  This went on for a couple of yrs., and nothing in particular seemed to trigger it.  I could be listening to relaxing music, or reading a book.  Then suddenly I was dying again, and it progressed to the point of going to the emergency room, having all the symptoms of a heart attack.  My heartbeat would go to 180-200 bpm, and the only description I can compare it to is that it felt as if electricity was going through my chest....suddenly everything seemed to be fading away; my arms and legs would feel as if they were going numb.  All of this got so frightening, life just had no value anymore.  

Finally, I was at a soccer game in Dallas watching my daughter play, and was drinking a cup of coffee.  Suddenly the awful feelings again......I'm dying!!!  I was sure of it.  I was rushed to the hospital, and the dr. asked me if I had any idea what it might be, and I told him it had happened several times before.  He told me I was suffering from a panic disorder, prescribed .25 xanax 2X a day.  I felt like I was in the twilight zone, but I wasn't dying.  That was over 18 yrs. ago, and still suffer from the attacks.  I've leveled out at 1 mg. xanax 3X a day, but I still have the attacks at 4-5 times a month, even waking me from sleep.  I can tell myself what it is, but it doesn't matter, nor does it stop any of the sense of doom....as if I'm dying.  I would never wish this on anyone, and sometimes I feel so alone as I don't know anyone that suffers from it.  If you have any of these symptoms, you just might have the same thing.  I hope not because xanax is addictive, but my life would be horrendous if I didn't take them.  I feel so bad sometimes, I just wish I could leave my body.  I've had a lot of stress most of my life, and from what I understand, that affects the chemicals the brain.  Once that happens, there is no cure.......all you can do is take meds.  I keep hoping they'll go away someday, but after this many yrs, it's doubtful.  
I completely feel your pain I to have suffered panic attacks and still do I am not on medication tho. It has been hard and when u feel your heart skipping beats and panic it makes it feel like it's skipping more than bone beat. It's so scary but know your not alone..
There is diagnostic criteria to suggest whether a skipped beat is a problem or not.  There are many reasons why people have them.  The typical 24,48, 30 day, or even implanted 1 year rhythm recorders may not catch a smoking gun.  EP studies may not show anything.  And certainly you cannot count on EKGs for diagnostic problems.  They aren't even helpful for ruling in our out a heart attack.

However, if something is caught a pacemaker can make a night and day difference to PACs and PVCs.  Not everyone is eligible for this as they need certain cardiac conditions that warrant the implantation.  Diet, stress, actual disease, lifestyle, hormones can influence skipped beats.  It takes a deeply educated and epithetic electrophysiologist to study the problem, review all data/notes to recommend a course of treatment.

Each person is different.  A genetic issue may cause the skips, or heart disease, or a malfunction of the heart's electrical system--or the restaurant that you ate at a few hours earlier that over-salted your dinner.  No one is alike and each person must be diagnosed on their own case.  The ER is absolutely the worst place to look for a diagnosis.  It's there to rule out a major issue.  Outside of that it takes a lot of skilled teasing to find the problem.

Most doctors and even cardiologists will rule out PVCs or PACs unless associated with some specific symptoms as "normal."  Find a doctor you like, and discuss the issue.  You may need to travel the country to find an EP or cardiologist that understands the issue.

And yes, nerves--the Vagus Nerve in some people can cause an exaggerated response thus causing some problems like PVCs or PACs, among others.  Some meds in the benzodiazepine class can "chill" out the CNS which can help lower aggressive skips.  High Vagal tone is not the same as panic attacks.

Time to find a doc that wants to listen.  It may be hard, but if your symptoms are so severe, you may have to travel around to find an expert.
Hi! Is it normal to have a series of skipped beats when having MVP? I have felt this before but didnt cared about it since i have no idea what it was until it starts to bother me. Is it dangerous? How many skipped beats in a minute or in a day are benign? Im on a beta-blocker (concore) but still having them.
Try Vitamin B as a supplement.  Certainly worked for me and I have NO skipped beats after 2 years of a floppy heart.  I bought a Super B Complex and I take one each morning.  No caffeine no MSG.  Maybe for me it was a Vitamin B deficiency after all. Might be different for different people.  Try B. Might work for you.  Be sure it is a Super complex of the B vitamins
Try Vitamin B Super Complex.  Worked for me after 2 years of a floppy heart.  Be sure it is the Super B Complex.  Take one every day.  Worked for me.  Might be caused by different things in different people but Vitamin B complex is really working for me.  Not one skipped beat since I started taking Super B complex a week ago !!  Also, I cut out MSG and all caffeine.  I am overjoyed at finding a cure for mine.  good luck
Try Vitamin B Super Complex tablets.  I had a floppy heart for 2 years but 2 weeks ago took a Super Vitamin B complex and GUESS WHAT.... NO SKIPPED BEATS,  Maybe in my case it was a Vitamin B deficiency? Whatever, it is working for me.  Floppy hearts might have different causes in different people. Try vitamin B.. it might work for you too.  I take one every morning and my heartbeat is normal once more after 2 yrs. YIPPEEEEEEEE
Hello, I am a 23 year old female who has had occasional skipped beats in the past where id feel a thud in my chest and I would immediately grip my chest and get out of breath. I didn't think anything of it then because I know skipped beats are normal for everyone but im just the unfortunate one to feel them. They would go away as quickly as they came. But NOW, for a little over a week they've come back. The odd thing is that they haven't left. I've been having them everyday sometimes 20 a day or 30 or 40. So, that being said, something didn't seem right. I got an ecg and of course it was a normal sinus rhythm (because I wasn't having the pvcs at the time. They come on very randomly). I got blood work yesterday.  I'm currently waiting for those results to come in. I have no idea what started these random pvcs and I have no idea how to make them stop. Thats what is really baffling me. I'm a very healthy young women who is very active so I doubt I have a bad heart. This is just very confusing to me because I get them when I'm anxious (during my ems job) and also during rest when im not anxious at all... idk.
I  am  65  and  have  had  skipped  heart beats since  I  was  24 .They  are  worse  just  recently. My heart  seems  to  stop and  then  slide  into a  heavy  noticeable  thump. I  have  been  through  some family deaths  recently  which  have  affected  me  greatly  along  with  some  family  problems . I  have  stopped  drinking  caffeine .  I  have always  been  overweight  but  could  function perfectly  but  as  I  get  older  its  hard  to deal  with  the  skipped  beat  and  dull fuzzy  head. Occaisionally  I  will get  an  adrenaline  rush  especially  after  drinking  alcohol in  any  amount  such  as   the  odd  party.  Its  been  helpful reading  all your  similar symptoms  and  it  helps  . The  doctors  keep  telling  me  its in  my  head and  I  refuse  to  take  anti depression  meds . Good  luck  to  you  all.
I'm having the same issues myself. Im a 53 year old male and have had skipped beats in the past but nothing like this. I also went to the ER yesterday unfortunately it was when I was doing better so nothing came up as being irregular. Im having at least 5-10 skipped beats a minute with a pain behind my shoulder blade and a pain in my left shoulder when I breathe in heavy. Fortunately my EKG is exactly the same as one I had in 2009 so these episodes do not seem to be damaging the heart muscle. I just wish we could find a solution as this can be very debilitating as you cannot function normally. Im trying to figure out if its related to certain foods or something that triggers it but so far Im at a loss. If I find anything out or things change I will try to update everyone.
Hi I'm Ben I just got one right now. I use to get them almost everyday for about 1 year. Sometimes I would feel the stump so hard it would chocke me. I stop drinking caffeine and artificial suggar or any suggar at all I noticed that every time I drink any soda or coffee seems to hapend even more . I try to drink natural juices and seems to help me . just don't stress over it don't get panicked out just take slow breaths and sit for a little. I been having this condition since i was 16 when i started playing sports i was in the best condition of my life so i figured that over working or over exercise can get the heart a bit sore I notice and I take it as my heart is just taking a breather my condition has gotten better by sleeping more doing some work out and eating well. Above all not stressing. I hope this helps
Sorry I am 25 years old
I'm 57 and have been having skipped beats since 30. Thousands a day. And I'm still alive. I look at it this way, it's like mileage on a car. The less mileage the better. The less beats of our hearts the better. After years of skipped beats my heart is way stronger than those beating normally because my heart gets to rest. Problem solved. I'm gonna live to be 100, because my heart has saved up a lot of beats!!!! ***** to have a normal heart, don't you think?
Other than a stint 18 years ago I think my heart is in good condition.
I have a stress test every 2 years and do well on it. I think my heart doctor has been knowing I have skipped beats because he is always asking about it and I say I do not.  
     I take 25 Mg metoprolol daily and 20 Mg zocor daily. .
     Recently my blood pressure, which is usually in the 130s over 60/70 dropped for a while to anywhere from 106 to 96 over 35 to 45 and my heart rate to around 35 for a good while at a time. I felt some not too severe chest symptoms which I cannot describe. I did notice that my heart usually beats 3 or 4 beats then skips 2 to 3 beats, then maybe 6 or 7 beats  and skips 2 or 3 more.  The cardiologist none of that is anything to worry about. Get a stress test again in 6 months (my regular time) and come back in a year.
     I started checking blood pressure before medicine time.  If it is 120 or lower I skip the metoprolol.  
     Today my blood pressure was 124/74.  When I get up from a reclining position I almost blackout for 15 to 30 seconds. I have not felt like doing anything.  I did have 1 cup of caffeine coffee (my usual). I have had a  protein drink in a quart of almond milk, the one cup of coffee, a good bit of water, some lean port, a large serving of ice cream.  None of that has made me feel better or worse. At the present my pulse is 65 and I checked for 100 beats without a skip.  this has not happened in a long time.
Wishing the best for all of you.
I am a 70 yr old male and in pretty good health except for the skipped beats. I have been dealing with these pesky things for 45 yrs and have experienced all the symptoms named in most of the post on this board. I have been to
all kinds of docs, had many many test and still have the PVC's. I am still trying to find a solution. Considering a
nutrional approach with food based supplements designed for my problem. Good luck to all of you,
Mine started about a year ago. If anyone is interested in starting a group, message me blan_02 AT hot.mail (thats my address, minus the spaces)