How do you tell the difference between Afib and Tachycardia?
I see alot of people here who suffer from Afib.  According to some info I have read, Afib can be over in minutes and only occur sporadically.

Without having constant EKG's, holters and event monitors, how would you ever know?  The only thing that has been caught on monitors for me were PVCs and Sinus Tachycardia which I was told was normal because the rythmn was "sinus."  I feel "skips" all the time which I attribute to the PVC's but sometimes I feel a fluttering sensation and wonder if that is Afib?  I sometimes feel out of breath and dizzy but I have asthma and also get episodes of tachycardia sometimes brought on by low blood pressure when standing (I take Lisinopril and even the 2.5 mg baby dose does this to me sometimes).

Everytime I have had tachycardia episodes, I have felt my pulse and the rythmn is fast but steady. So if I had Afib, would the rythmn be all over the place?

Lastly, I have considered switching my ACE inhibitor to a beta blocker just so I can get the added benefit of possibly decreased paplitations.  The only reason I take it is that I have slightly increased BP due to a renin imbalance from a damaged kidney.  Are there any beta blockers that A.  Have easy dosing like ACE inhibitors, B.  Don't worsen asthma and C. Don't slow your heart rate too much (besides the occassional tachy episodes, my heart rate generally averages in the 70's)
I forgot to add that I also sometimes feel a fluttering sensation in the upper part of my left chest but when it happens, my heart rate is normal.  It almost feels like a muscle spasm.  Does that happen to anyone else?
With atrial fibrillation you get a rapid and very irregular heartbeat. So if you felt a fast and regular pulse, I would guess that it is not atrial fib.
I have the same thing.I develped afib after bypass surgery and was on a med for arrythmia for 10 months.Not on it now,but sometime have heart poundings
but heart rate is steady and normal.Mu doctor said if it was afib it would be fast and irregular.
Also get that fluttering or rippling feeling in my chest,especially at night but not all the time.
Doc says it is a nerve,not to worry about it.
Polly
Polly

With an EKG.

Afib and tachycardia could potentially feel very much the same.  When I have episodes of supraventricular tachycardia, it feels like tachycardia...only lighter.  It's hard to describe, but I can ONLY tell the difference between it and a normal rapid rate because it always starts with a PAC that triggers it.  Otherwise, feels much the same.