Heart Disease Community
How does asthma affect the heart

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

How does asthma affect the heart

When I was 20 weeks pregnant the doctor told me that my son had a heart problem it was called Tetraology of Fallot. So when I was giving birth they had to do a immediately C-section because of his heart droping really low. They made me stay in the hospital for 2 weeks so they can watch and see how well he does. But as he got a little bit older like 2 months he would always keep getting sick so I would bring him back to the hospital and they would watch him keep him overnight and tell me he is fine. He is now almost 8 months and from 2months to 8 months he would be back in fourth from the hospital. Last week the doctor said that he has Asthma so I want to know how Asthma and tetralology of fallot gets along..
Tags: Heart
Based solely on the biology of these two conditions I would venture to say that considering the reduced cardiovascular efficiency of the heart to circulate blood through the lungs asthma would add an additional burden to his breathing and to the reduced oxygen levels in the blood.  Certainly this is something to discuss with his doctor.