Heart Disease Community
How long to live (leaking valve)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

How long to live (leaking valve)

My Father who is 70 years old had a triple bypass 17 years ago and a metal valve put in at the same time. He is inoperatable as of this time with two leaky valves.

My Question is...
I dont feel he is doing well...he was a little on the slow side a few months back but the past week or two he can barely hold his head up, put a fork to his mouth or stay awake for very long. He sleeps all the time. He can not breath very well anymore and his memory seems to be going very fast.
Would these signs be the negining of heart failure?
I don't know why your father is having these symptoms, but I think he should make an appt. with his physician.  Any time there are new or changing symptoms, it's best to get them checked out.
He cant even open a bottle of meds, wrappers, and his breathing is getting worse every day. I have a gut feeling his heart is getting very tired of having to work so hard all of the time. The valves have been leaking for over a year and his lungs are so bad he cant have surgery not to mention he would be a 2nd timer and he is over 70 years old
The fact that he is over 70 does not preclude him for being a surgery candidate.  But, if he has severe CHF and severely leaking valves, that could make a difference.  Would your father give permission for a famliy member to discuss the situation with his doctor?

I very sorry to hear that he is having so much difficulty with breathing and simple tasks.  Is there anything the family, or outside providers, can do to make him more comfortable?
Well I am in North Carolina and my Dad is in New York, but his Sister and Borher In-law have been there every day. My Father will NOT go on any time of resperator or anything of that nature...its just the way he is. He would probably get ticked at me for even calling the Doctors, but I am actual waiting on a call from the Doctors right now...Will see

Tim
Your Dad is very lucky to have you for a son.  It's heartwarming to see that you are willing to go the extra mile to learn about his condition.  I understand your Dad's insistence on no respirator, it is a very personal choice.  I am sure he would be most grateful for any time you can spend with him (phone or otherwise).  If talking is difficult for him, perhaps you could write him a few letters.  Kudos to you for caring!

Will he not even consider Hospice? My dad did not want it but he finally agreed and said he was thankful his family did not have to have so much burden. I took care of him when he was term.ill for a year. I am 34 and have three kids and a husband. It was stressful sure but would do it again. Plus you need to follow your gut feeling and do what you think is best. My dad did not always agree with things I did like taking over his doctor conversations but he got over it. Their generation is just very stubborn. Hang in their. Maybe you can get some time off to see him. Spend as much time with him as you can and ask all the things you always wondered about. It is hard but you can do it for yourself and him. You will feel better later on.