Heart Disease Community
How many pvc's are normal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

How many pvc's are normal?

I have heard that EVERYONE has pvc's and pac's.  Is this true?  I have at least 10 every day.  Is it dangerous to have that many?  Do I have more risk of it turning into an arrhythmia that my heart won't get out of?  How can I tell if I am having a pvc or a pac?  My holter showed 13 pac's and 2 pvc's but I always feel the pause and then a hard thump.  Why do they happen more when I run up the stairs or bend over too quickly or am carrying a heavy load?
Worried sick.
My cardiologist said about 50 are "normal", but this DOES NOT mean that 51 is "abnormal" and it certainly doesn't mean they're dangerous.  I know someone who was having 5,000 PVCs a day and not being treated because they were just simple PVCs.  "Normal" just implies common in this case.
Hi there.  That is what I experience.  I am 45 years old and have at least 10 a day.  I have been for every test imaginable and they have caught non-sustained v-tach on my montior and that is what scared the absolute *(&(*& out of me.  I have been totally obsessed with my heart.  They have caught PVC's and PAC's and nobody seems concerned about them.  I get between two and ten a day and freak out at every one of them.  I know exactly how you feel.
Prior to my ablations (for a different reason), I was having thousands a day, still "normal."  I'm not sure how many I have now, but they make themselves known now and again.

My sister had 400 pvcs records, normal....

The important thing is that in the setting of a structually normal heart, pvcs are considered harmless.

Happy Holidays!
well, did a holter on an average day for me.  750.

They drive me nuts, I get other odd pains.  That said, my heart is structurally normal, and I've had every test short of a cath (including a 64 slice ct).  34 years old.  They say they are normal, so I try every day to deal with them.  I went two weeks recently with very limited pvc's.. then they come back.
The majority of people have PVC's and never notice them. People who have frequent PVC's get used to what they feel like, and as a result of learning how they feel, notice every single PVC they have, even when their PVC rate drops to "normal" levels.
Mine are probably averaging around 3,000 a day, if I go by 3-4 per minute, for about 16 hours a day, plus the few I have when I sleep.  And yeah, they are annoying.  I feel them when I get frustrated also, and that's a pain because my job is production oriented (they count everything you do all day long).  Plus my BP had been very high.  I had originally blamed it on an increase in my lisopril (from 20 mg to 40 mg).  I was already taking 200 mg of Toprol and had not had any PVCs until just recently.  But my cardiologist didn't like the high BP so agreed to lower my lisinopril back to 20 mg. and added Norvasc.  I had hoped (FERVENTLY) that the PVCs would get much less or disappear but no such luck. So far my BP has gone way down to near normal (at least for now) and I have to see if the trend continues, so the norvasc, in combination with the other stuff, is working.  But still get the durned PVCs.  If it's stress related, it's not due to something obvious, or I wouldn't have them over the weekend, but I do.  

But one of the things the cardiologist did tell me is that my tests show a normal heart (I had the heart attack blood work and echo + x-ray in the ER).  So did my regular doc and the ER docs/cardiologists.  No one is worried, even now that they known how often I get them.  They were so much more concerned about my blood pressure issues.  As far as the PVCs are concerned, no one has mentioned drugs for it, or concern for it. What they did tell me was to do the prudent thing for a 51 year old, overweight woman, and that is to go the ER if I should ever get any symptoms of a heart attack in the future, which, as we know, can happen to anyone at any age, without connection to the benign PVC/PAC issues.

However, like you, I feel concern about one issue...is is possible to have the heart retrain itself so that I'll never have a 'normal' beat again.
My EP told me that if you are having less than 20,000 a day and have a structually normal heart the doctors don't worry about it.  He said if you are having over 20,000 per day the PVC's could lead to heart weakness.  I am currently having over 25,000 per day.  I had an ablation, since I cannot take the medications for this, and it did not work.  I am scheduled with a doctor at the Cleveland Clinic next week to see if there is anything else they can do.  Because I am having so many I experience shortness of breath and dizzyness almost constantly.
I wonder since I only have around 10 or less everyday, why do I feel like I am going to die very young?
Since my last posting about being very scared about having 50 or so pvc's they are now averaging 3 or 4 per min so that is running into the thousands too - same as "lady".  Having just 10 a day would be such a relief for me.  Please try not to worry even though it is so hard - at the moment I am at my wits end, cant sleep at night with them either.
How long did it take for yours to increase that much?  What is your age?  Is there any link between hormones and your sudden increase maybe?
I live every day of my life thinking it is the last as well.  I am 45 years old and had a holter when I was 30 and it showed short non-sustained runs of v-tach which sent me over the edge.  I really only get 10 to 20 a day but I feel every single one of them and freak out at every one.  I have been to numerous cardiolgists and EP doctors and they all say don't worry - it is normal!  Yeah right.  I just can't get my head wrapped around the fact that everyone gets these things.  I live my life in constant anxiety about my heart.  I am actually going to see a phycologist next week to ask if they can get me over this heart anxiety and be able to live like a normal person.
I should see a counselor too.  I have three kids, ages 3, 5 and 7 months old and I cry all the time b/c I am afraid I won't see them grow up.  I went one time to a therapist and she told me to get a specific book on anxiety and panic which I felt like was a waste of an hour plus $125.00 b/c it didn't help at all.  I wish I could get over the fear of dying.  My life is so limited now compared to what it used to be.  I am embarrassed to admit this, but I am afraid to go shopping, afraid to go to the grocery, afraid to go to the mall because I am afraid I will die while my children are out with me and there will be no one there for them.  I took so much for granted before in my life, stupid stuff like running to WalMart or Old Navy or Michaels and I was never afraid that I would drop dead, but now every time I go somewhere I am afraid.  I wish I didn't feel them happen.  Ignorance is bliss.
That is me exactly!  I have been a horrible mess since my kids were babies when I found out I had these things.  I used to cry at the doctors office saying I was scared to give them a bath because I thought I would drop them into the water while having a palpitation.  You are certainly not alone.  My kids are 16 and 11 now and I still live in constant fear.  I am also afraid to go out shopping or whereever because I may have a panic attack when I start getting these skips.  I will have to email you when I see the shrink and see what they they about me.  You would never know in a million years I have anxiety.  I act totally normal but inside I am a complete mess.  I hope to be able to get help as well and believe me if I can do then anyone can!  You must be crazy busy with three little kids like that.  That would be enough to give anyone PVC's!
Glad to know that I am not alone.  I feel so irrational.  Funny you mentioned the bath thing b/c I am afraid when I am giving the baby his bath b/c I am afraid of drowning him if my heart gives out then.  I know I sound like such an idiot.  I am afraid when I am showering also b/c I am afraid something will happen when I am in the shower NAKED! I get in and get out as quickly as possible! Sometimes I go a week without shaving my legs just so I can get in and get out.  I AM THE WORLD'S BIGGEST IDIOT! But hey, at least I can laugh at myself.
I had to snicker at your post cause that is my life to a T.  That is exactly what I worry about as well.  I am scared when there is nobody home and I am in the shower because I fear the same thing.  That is exactly what I thought when I would bath the kids.  I told the doctor I thought for sure my heart would go into v-tach and I would drop the baby.  You are not an idiot (or maybe we both are!)  I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.  Where do you live?  We should definately talk!  I just cannot believe that someone else lives the same way I do.  I always told my doctor I thought I was nuts and was losing my mind because of my obsessing about my heart.  She was at wits end with me and didn't know what to do because I was showing up every week crying in her office with kids in tow saying I couldn't take the anxiety about these things anymore.  I also have to sit close to doorways just in case they start to happen when I am in public and have to get out of the spot I am in right away.  I know it sound nuts as well.  My doctor says I may have ancipitory anxiety because I have a PVC and I just wait for the next one.  It is totally a vicious cycle.  I am also going to get another holter next Wednesday because of my instance that there is something not right in my heart.  I have had all the tests done but they did see a short run of non-sustained v-tach and that is what totally set me off.  Even the EP doctors say "even I get them" "don't worry".  Yeah right, I just cannot believe that others get them as hard and as strange as I do.  I honestly don't get that many I guess when I read other posts on the internet.  I get around 10 a day I would say.  From the minute I wake up in the morning I worry, till the time I go to bed at night I worry.  I also take 20mg of Celexa and thought that would stop my worrying (and it did for a while).  They did still happen but I didn't care as much then I had a bunch of them when I was at my son's soccer game and starting freaking out again and I am back to square one.  I honestly don't know how you are doing it with three little kids like that.  That is when I started having really bad palps when I had my first kid and I was strung out all the time.  I work full time and take care of the house (well at least 90% of it).  My husband doesn't help out a #*&& of a lot and I chalk that up to my anxiety issues as well.  I hope it makes you feel a little better when you read my posts because I sure feel better when I read yours......
what is the difference between the ones you can feel profoundly and the ones you dont even know exist.  If you feel them strongly does that mean they are more dangerous or a different type then the ones you dont feel?>

i have gotten a holter monitor test done and i guess i didnt have any cause my doctor didnt say anything
PVCs and PACs are not palpitations. PVCs and PACs are arrhythmias that the person may or may not notice depending upon how much concentration a person has on such things. Palpitations are the SENSATION that something is fluttering in your chest and they may be an ectopic beat or they may be nerves from when the person is ultra sensitive to the sensation of their heart pounding in general, often because of anxiety.
Benign PVC/PACs are not dangerous so they cannot be more, or less, something they are not.
O.K. Here's what I want along with all of your reassurances that these are benign.  I want all of you to GUARANTEE me that I will live to be an old lady and get to do all the stuff with my kids that I want to do (see them go to their first day of Kindergarten, see them sing in the choir or play in the band, see their little Christmas pagents, play sports, etc.).  I WANT IT WRITTEN IN STONE THAT I WILL LIVE TO BE AN OLD LADY!!!!!!! I know, I know, nobody gets that guarantee, but I can dream can't I?  I'm all they've got.
I feel infinitely better when I read your posts and the smile on my face is an added bonus.  Email me anytime if you need a friend.  ***@****
Glad you feel better reading my posts because the same thing goes for me.  I have emailed you at your hotmail address.
I had my appoint with the cardio on Monday who gave me the results of 50 or so pvc's, then in the night they started with a vengenence and have not stopped since.  So I would say that from 50 to over 3,000 per day developed within hours.  I have been nearly at the end of my tether, I am taking so much valium to calm me down which is not working, my husband is being horrible to me with them, because I can't look after my 4 yr old properly.  I have just turned 42, my period ended last week so I don't think it's hormones at the moment.  But for it to have reached this stage so rapidly is so frightening.  I must admit that I have thought that if this continues then what is the point of living?  I'm feeling that depressed about it all.  Just out of the blue from 50 to 3,000.  I took myself off to see the cardio again on Thursay pm because I just couldn't cope anymore and she caught them on an EKG and said not to worry just ectopics - no meds.  I quit drinking wine in the evenings a while ago, I drink only 1 cup of tea a day, but I have started smoking again this week - simply out of pure fear - only 4 or 5.  2 echos came back normal - that was approx 4 weeks ago.  Sorry to be such a downer, but I am so alone and with my MS and 4 yr old - and a monster of a husband I just need your support.
Hi honey.  I don't know if you like Oprah or not (I do), but here is a link from her website that talks about how she went through the same thing we are going through:

http://www.oprah.com/health/omag/health_omag_200208_menopause.jhtml.

Maybe your sudden increase is due to the valium or the smoking.  I won't take hardly ANY medicine (valium included) b/c it all lists palpitations as a side effect.  Please try to calm down.  I know exactly how you feel.  My ex sounds just like your husband in that he is HORRIBLE to me about this stuff.  You are taking good care of your child and it is so hard to do living with the fear of dying.  I bet if you can get rid of some of the anxiety, you will notice a huge decrease in the palps.  When I first got them I had panic attacks really bad.  I would wake up in the morning and already be shaking.  I had no one to lean on or talk to about all this, so I just had to convince myself to stay calm and relax.  Sometimes you have to just put on a movie for the kids and lay down and try to get some rest.  Try to take care of YOU.  I have had some really horrible episodes where I have had one right after another for a few minutes and I was sure I was a gonner, but here I still am.  There will be bad days with scary runs of them, but mostly there are good days with just a few scattered here and there.  Hang in there.  I will pray for you.  Maybe if we all pray for each other, it will get so noisy up there that God will rid us all of these things just to shut us all up!
HI All,

I am also suffering from PAC, I would say it happens more at night after dinner.  I feel every single of them. It is very annoying.  My EP doctor said not to worry.  He said thet exercise can help to decrease the PAC.  

Does anyone of you know if PAC is related to Ablation.  I had 2 Ablations to correct the SVT.  After the second ablation, I start to have PAC, I never have PAC before the second ablation.  Sometimes, I regret to have done the ablation as I feel PAC is more annoying than SVT.
hi....i've been reading the posts from you guys and i too am going through the same thing, i just now was woken up with an episode of svt and also been having palps all day prior to this, i am in tears reading from you, carrie and sherma, i have 5 kids, am 44 and am in a constant state of anxiety, i worry every night before i go to bed as that is most often when i get an svt attack...always arround 3 am....i am awakened to the irregular and very rapid hb...i now avoid driving on the freeway,i,m scared to travel, i,m afraid of being at home alone, on and on and on.I,ve been living with this for almost 7 years now and have learned to " live" with it, but i'm always worried that i'll drop over and leave behind my kids, especially my 8 and 9 year old. I've been told about ablation but there seems to be drawbacks to that as well....sometimes i hope and pray that it will just go away and never come back but i guess that is just wishful thinking, but is such a comfort that this forum exists and to know that there are others out there with the same thing and that they can give advice and support...god bless
My greatest fear (connected with the arrhythmias) would have to be that I'll have heart problems or blacking out while I'm driving, where no one can help me.  Worse still, is that I'll crash into someone else and hurt/kill them, and at the top of the list, that my kids would be in the car. Now for the good news--aside from the annoyance of the thumping and the mild anxiety that no one knows the cause or how to make it better, it's nothing more than that.  Just the thump.  And I'm grateful for just that one symptom.  Better that than something worse.  

I did get a chuckle out of the visual images some of you conjured up (racing out the shower as fast as possible for instance).  And it seems that everyone of us, male and female alike, worry at one level or another no matter how many assurances we get.  It's human nature too.  And nothing to berate ourselves over unless it gets excessive.  One thing that has helped me is that I have a strong faith in God.  I believe it has kept me from royally panicing.  I don't see my future as just a hole in the ground.  True, I don't want to die early because I just love learning and exploring new things now, even at 51.  So many things to see and do until I'm too old to do much of anything.  But at the same time, I believe I'll end up in a better place.  And I know I'll be reunited with my family eventually.  

So while I'm not advocating one faith over another, faith seems to play a part in being healthier, recovering faster, and with better perspectives on their overall health.  It's been studied. So if any of you have spiritual inclinations, whatever they might be, perhaps you could benefit from exploring them better.
Hey Lady.  I couldn't agree with you more about faith being important when dealing with these things.  That is the only way I have been able to get some peace in dealing with this.  My feeling is when God is ready for me, there is nothing I can do to stop it so I might as well not worry about it so much. Although at times, I can't help but worry.  I'm sure you've gathered from my posts, that I just cannot bear the thought of leaving my babies even though I have one that has gone ahead of me and is waiting for me.  Usually I just have run of the mill PVC's or PAC's, but this time (with my period) I had some PVC's followed by a few quick beats of PSVT (I'm guessing).  Do you ever get anything other than the run of the mill PVC?
I don't get much more than the thumping either in my chest or my throat, and if I am in a total relaxed state, from just before dozing off, through sleep, and just after waking up, they are either gone (which I doubt) or so mild that I don't feel them.  Of course, once I start thinking about the PVCs, they come back hard enough to notice.  That's the symptom I get.  I do occasionally get them in brief strings of bigemony (2 or 3 in a row) , and that is a bit fear inducing, and sometimes trigemony, but I hang in there, and figure that if I'm not getting any of the other symptoms, I'll be "okay".  And you'll be okay too if the docs are telling you that you have nothing to worry about.  You'll manage.  Enjoy your kids, family, friends, church members, etc.  Love on 'em all day every day, and when you think of them, you'll be thinking of your problems less, and hopefully, that will also make things better.  It works fairly good for me most of the time.  I can't take my mind off it completely, but I enjoy the times when i can.
I have been reading many of the posts related to PVCs and I find them to be helpfull in dealing with my occasional PVCs. I am a 46 year old male. I don't smoke or drink alcohol. I have always been in good health and up untill about six months ago I never had a consistent problem with PVC's. I remember an occasional one here or there but at the time I did not know what it was.I too have had all the test done short of the heart caths and the doc sent me home and told me not to worry. PVC's, few or many, will change your life.

One of the observations I made while reading the numerous posts is that it helps each of us who experience or suffer with these frightning events to talk to others who experience the same. People who do not have PVCs have NO idea how life changing it is to have them. For instance. My wife went to the doc with me and heard him say "not to worry", therefore, she never worries about it. She does not even seem concerned when it happens to me. It would be extremely helpful to all of us if our spouses would realize the fear these events bring to our minds, and then just show some good old-fashioned love and concern for our situation.

I know what causes my PVCs. Two things. STRESS and REFLUX. I have a business with numerous employees. That is stressful. I usually deal with the business stress very well. However, home related stress, is the stress that causes my PVCs to come with a vengence. The stress shows up, then the PVCs follow. the along comes that sinking, alone in world feeling, that last a few days.
I tell you, whether you realize it or not, STRESS is the reason for many of us having PVCs.

The reflux will cause them just as quick for me. I take Zantac 75 . One in the morning and one just before bedtime. I eat smaller meals and I NEVER...NEVER allow any caffine in my body.I strictly limit my sugar intake and rarely ever eat fried food. The healthier we are the better our bodies can handle the stresses and demands we put on it. I am convinced that stress is the main cause of PVCs in many young and middle aged people.

I strongly suggest that we all communicate to those around us the importance of eliminating as much stress as possible. Some people care and will listen. Others won't. My best regards to all of you and certianly my prayers go out for you.
hey everyone....like most of you i have been plagued by pvcs, since at least 18 and here we are 6 years later and out of nowhere (the last 4 days) they have become unbearably worse....when i was 18 i saw two cardiologists and went through the normal gauntlet of tests and was diagnosed with benign pvcs that i should not worry about....and for the past 6 years i have dealt with them because i did not get them that often....i mean mostly everyday but only 1 or 2....somedays were worse and some i did not get any and then some i might have an anxiety attack and have a quick run of bigemny or sustained pvcs....but more or less manageable....always worried about exerting myself too much physically because it would aggravate the pvcs but still manageable....for the past 4 days though out of nowhere i have been getting multiple runs of pvcs almost constantly....i ended up in the ER the other night because i was so afraid and they did a 12 lead EKG and bloodwork and everything came back normal and they attributed it to anxiety/stress....they gave me some atovent in the hospital to calm me down and then some xanax for when i am home....though i have been home i am still getting the constant pvcs mostly when i stand up or am walking around and it is driving me crazy....i would say at least 5 or more per minute....i can not handle this it is driving me crazy and has completely paralyzed me i am afraid to get off the couch....
Hello to all,
I just discovered this site, after googling insanely about ventricular tachycardia and PVCs. I just found out I have some kind of v-tac and don't know yet how serious it is. I've had PVCs since late adolescence and haven't really worried about it too much until now. I have two daughters less than two years old and my biggest fear is that I will not see them grow up. I am terrified the arrhythmia will kill me. My doc wants to do cardiac catheter and EP study (also with cath). I am terrified of that too. Has anyone had any of these catheter tests?
I am 46 year old personal trainer, with 75% of one kidneys, and I have PVC's and was told they are benign. I can drop my heart rate from 80 to 60 when I get PVC's. around 15-20 skips per minute. I had it check out and they say I am fine. I feel sluggish then a jolt of energy with the pooling of blood then that push of fresh blood. Kind of a similar feeling I get when I fall in love with a hot girl that I am afraid to ask out. I know it sound kind of juvenile, but it the closest feeling I can think of that makes me feel like I do when the PVC's come on strong. Exercise can improve health. I notice that when I am running or biking vigorously that I don't get skip beats at all, and even after recovering from the workout the heart beat steady until I have fully recover. As for the panic attack, and the rapid heart beat, I would inhale deeply and hold for a count of 3 second and then exhale and repeat cycle 3 time. The force breathing will reset your pattern and the body will ignore the adrenaline rush.  I also teach Tai Chi, and I find that most of the time if I do one cycle of the 24 short form during the panic attack, that I can reset my body back to normal. I follow the guideline for optimum health for the heart. 3X per week 45 minute of cardio, or 4X per week 30 minute cardio. Doing them kind of give me the assurance that my heart is healthy, and that the skip beat is not dued to a bad heart. I drink plenty of juices to make sure my electrolytes are good. Eat a balance diet low in animal fats.
I do worry about them, but this is how I cope with them. I hope I help someone.
Thanks so much for your previous post. I am a 48 year old female. I just found this site and spent a long time reading previous posts from other people suffering with pvc's.  I could "ditto" most of those comments, I have been very scared at times. Things got better and  I had been free of them for a couple of years, but as of a month ago they are back!  I appreciate everything you wrote because I will start using some of your suggestions. I just saw my cardio last week and waiting for Holter results and to get some assurance that I'm ok.
I'm a 28 year old female and I've been having alarmingly noticeable PVC's for about 8 years now. I'm crying as I read this because I experience the physical symptoms (the pause, the thud, the rush of adrenaline) and the mental symptoms (the waiting to see if my heart has stopped, the pure terror of such thoughts) on almost a daily basis. I'm a bartender and I lead an active and admittedly stressful lifestyle, but I also run about 20 miles a week and I genuinely love my job. I just got dumped by Tonic health insurance because they've determined I have a 'pre-existing condition', although i've always been given a clean bill of health from the cardiologist! But this has added to my stress, so of course the PVC's are back to 'frequent' status. (40 or 50 pronounced ones per day.)  
Thanks to all of you for sharing your stories-- I can't tell you how it makes me feel to hear others who are going through truly identical situations as mine-- I, too, am at times paralyzed with fear in social or personal situations where I'm imagining myself suddenly keeling over with no warning. But your stories are largely inspirational and reassuring, and they give me hope.
Can anyone elaborate on methods that might lessen the frequency of such episodes? I saw one person mention 'reflux' as a culprit and I'm curious to learn more-- but ANY suggestions would be welcome. PS- my brother experiences the same thing, and we're on the phone to each other at least weekly to discuss it; so few people can understand this kind of debilitating fear derived from such a tangible origin.
i am surprised that so many people feel the way i do. i am only 13 and i get these. i am afraid that i will die in my sleep or perhaps at the stores just like you guys said. i know i shouldnt worry about this at all considering im still just a kid but i just do....one night i actually cried myself to sleep because i was afraid. but i guess you just have to get your mind off of them...good luck everyone and remember so many people are the same way.
I have read everyones posts and I think I am experiencing similar symptoms but I have other symptoms that I did not see on anyones post.
I am a 49 yr old male, never smoked but drink lite beer on the weekends. Eat pretty healthy, no fast food, minimal red meat and fried foods. Blood pressure 118/76. When I was younger I had experienced several episodes of Atrial Fib. Had echos, stress test, CT scan, blood work, Radioactive imaging after stress test, all came back normal. Have not had Atrial Fib for some time time but know the symptoms. It is more of a fluttering. What I have experienced recently is what I can only describe as my heart stopping for a second and it hurts. It also scares the **** out of me. I also feel ones less intense that do not hurt but are noticeable. I did not experience these everyday, sometimes 1 or 2 every 3 or 4 days or even a week. On Monday of this week I bent over to pick something off the floor and as I came up I experienced one of them that hurt. It caused me to grab my chest. I felt tingling in my left arm, and then several less severe ones followed with sped up heart rate that lasted a minute or two. I jumped in my car and sped off to the ER. When I arrived in the parking lot I felt better so I returned home thinking what my cardiologist said about my heart being normal. But now the remainder of this week I have experienced them each day, not many but definitely more than in the past. I am now afraid to bend over and pick anything up off the floor. These are defintely scary and different than the AF I had years ago. I cannot get into a cardologist for another week and have to get on a plane Monday and I am freaking out! I fly all the time but experiencing one of these on a flight will definitely freak me out! I seem to experience them more when I exert myself not when I am sitting or lying down. So I am worried about travel, going through the airports, staying at hotels by myself.

Is this what you are experiencing or do I have something different?
Do you experience the brief pain?
Tingling in a arm?
Could I be having a PVC and PAC at the sametime?

I am afraid to exercise because I am afraid my heart will go into some kind of arrhythmia and I will drop dead. I read or see this on the news where a perfectly healthy individual collapses come to find out they had some kind heart abnormalty. My other concern is all of the tests done on me tell me that I have a structurally healthy heart. No valve problems, clogged arteries, etc... What I am concerned about is the electrical pathways of my heart. Did anyone have electrical tests done?

When younger after the Atrial Fib the doctors told me to go on a 81mg asprin per day program that it would work as a blood thinner and helps with AF. I have been on that regime for years. I think that may have stopped those from returning. Do any of you use asprin?

I am hoping you all can educate me with your experience.

Scot
Scot, that doesn't sound like PVC's to me. PVC's shouldn't be painful. I think it would be wise to see your doctor again and get it checked out, especially if it's been awhile. Have them retest you. I think it would help put your mind at ease. You may need some medication or something at this point.
I wish you well. Take care.

In responding to some of the other posts, I was wondering if lack of sleep and/or caffeine can bring PVC's on? I was getting them quite a bit a year or so ago, but I was under a lot more stress then. They pretty much went away. Lately I've been feeling them more but I'm wondering if it's because I took on a night job so I'm not getting much sleep. I'm also relying on coffee more. Could this be the reason for them coming back? Thanks!
My daughter went for her 2 yr. check up. The doctor was doing a routine checkup--when out of the blue, she says, "your daughter has an abnormal heart beat." They immediately hooked her up to an EKG and it showed the abnormal heart beat. Afterward (the same day ) my husband and I had to take her for a chest ex-ray.Within a few weeks, (a lifetime of waiting for my husband and me), We went to see the Pediatric Cardiologist-after looking at her EKG and Ex-ray he tells us that she a PVC'S and her heart is just slightly bigger than normal (nothing to really worry about--He says!??) Right!! Anyway, he wanted her to wear a Holter monitor for 24 hours--the 1st time the monitor stop working after 3 hour, therefore, we had to make her wear it another 24 hours. I was so nervous about her condition that I went to the hospital and requested a copy of the Holter Monitor reading with the hospital doctors reading. My daughter is having 32,148 PVC'S in a 24 hour period-with something called Bigeminal runs. She averages 20 to 48 PVC's per MINUTE!! My question is what should be done--if anything in a 2yr old child? What kind of damage is this doing to her heart at such an early age? Should we be restricting her play (my husband was flipping her upside down--and I was like, "Hey--wait...don't do that", of course my daughter was laughing so hard that she couldn't catch her breath--but those things are scary to me.
People might see this better if you post this under a new post. I don't know what to tell you otherwise. I know PVC's can be normal and that most people actually have them but I don't know when it gets to the point that it's concerning.
I wish you well. God bless!
I have continuous bigeminy which means every other beat is a pvc.  I worry, but not as much as some of the others may about the effects of irregular heart beats.  I go to school full time for RN, work part time on the cardiac floor of a hospital as a Monitor Tech, and I have four children.  I do have a hard time sleeping due to the constant awareness of the irregular beats but I try to focus on relaxation techniques before bed.  At first I was as frightened as some of the others, but I believe as long as there are no other signs or symptoms of illness that they must be harmless.  I do believe that if people are very concerned about having pvc's joining support groups such as this web page helps by expressing feelings and gives one a sence of peace.  
with any type of left arm pain related to heart issues I would definetly go to the ER immediately!!!!!!!!
So glad to find this forum. I felt like my heart was skipping a beat and it was soo scary. We had recently bought a house and I figured it was just stress related. They subsided for a while, but then I had my third child and one day I felt a very distinct PVC that definitely caught my attention. From that day on all I could think about was my next heart beat. The fear consumed my life. I ended up going to my doctor for something unrelated and mentioned the skipped heart beats to her. She referred me to a cardiologist after she could not detect anything in her office. After dealing with the anxiety and fear of going to a cardiologist, I finally decided I had had enough, and was not going to ignore this anymore. I have always heard early treatment is always the best. So I went to the cardiologist and he did an echo and I wore a holter monitor. It seemed like a forever to get the results. But when I went back in for a follow up he called them "PVC's" and said I had around 4-500/ day. Definitely noticeable to me, but absolutely harmless. I am 32 years old, a former athlete with 3 kids in good health. This cardiologist visit has been almost one year ago, and I still think about the PVC's daily. But I know that you must use your faith to get passed it, know that God is good, technology is available, and you're not going to die from this.
Choose to ignore them and live your life. We all have that inner voice that tells you if something is wrong or not. It is up to you to take every thought captive. I know that when you feel a PVC, it makes you anxious, and you sit and wait on the next one. Stop.Relax, and trust God.
I hope this post will help the next person as a few posts have helped me.
-Blessings
I had ablation for atrial fibrillation.  After that, which appears to be successful, I had lots of PAC's.  They sucked until I learned that 500mg of sodium per day would ultimately solve my problem.  Try it out for yourself - over the counter.  Can't hurt.  Worked like a miracle for me!
500 mg sodium?  Never heard of that.  Magnesium and Potassium are great for the heart and even if you have a good blood level of Magnesium it doesn't mean it is in the muscles.
Taking them together helps with absorption into the muscles.
Im so scared I have PVC's 15 % of the time I feell pain in my chest and up neck and down my arm i get heat flushes and sweat profussly I am so scared I don't understand any of this
i get the lot pvc skip beats everything u can think of and its not nice at all
LIQUID CALCIUM CITRATE (better than Carbonate supplements)

I have experienced almost complete relief from PVC's by taking 1 Tbsp of liquid calcium ... take 2 Tbsp, two times daily, be sure to take with food.  Take this in addition to a regular multi-vitamin and drink plenty of water all day (but don't overdo it.. 8 glasses of 8 oz each is enough)

I used to have dozens of PVCs every day and sometimes very strong ones.  My doctor told me my heart is normal and to stop worrying about them and make sure I get plenty of minerals in my diet, especially calcium, magnesium and potassium.

I have had SEVERAL friends and family who also report to me that they have cured their PVC's after taking this advice.  It may not work for everyone because PVC's can have different causes, but I suspect for most people it's because of mineral imbalance.

In full disclosure, I still get the occasional PVC, and sometimes even get them a little more frequently, which I attribute to triggers (alcohol, not enough sleep, caffeine, eating too much, eating starchy/fat foods, etc.).  Avoiding triggers obviously helps.

However, if I keep my CALCIUM, POTASSIUM and MAGNESIUM levels up with lots of water, they are much less frequent and not as strong, and sometimes I go weeks without noticing a single one.  When I forget the supplements, they come right back, that same day in fact.  I have NO doubt that in my case they are caused by calcium deficiency.

Hope this helps some of you - see a doctor if you need to put your mind at ease.

Note that calcium citrate is better than calcium carbonate because it absorbs easier into cells... you need to drink water to keep your electrolytes up... avoiding triggers is still the best way to avoid PVC's... also LIQUID CALCIUM SHOULD BE STORED AT ROOM TEMP AND NOT USED FROM A BOTTLE THAT HAS BEEN OPEN FOR MORE THAN 3 MONTHS  - GET A NEW BOTTLE.. it's not spoiled, it just doesn't work as well.  Calcium carbonate supps can be effective for some people.
Take 1 Tbsp two times daily, not 2 Tbsp two times daily - that was a mistake, sorry...

Be sure not to exceed the recommended dosage on the bottle... sorry about that...

DO NOT exceed 1,000 mg or 1gram of calcium supplements daily without checking with your doctor.

Check the label and follow the product's own directions
Please keep in mind that Calcium Citrate has the risk of the following side effects;

•nausea/vomiting
•loss of appetite
•unusual weight loss
•mental/mood changes
•bone/muscle pain
•headache
•increased thirst/urination
•weakness
•unusual tiredness

In addition, it should only be avoided or only taken under a doctor's care if you already have any of the following;

•kidney disease
•kidney stones
•little or no stomach acid (achlorhydria)
•heart disease
•disease of the pancreas
•a certain lung disease (sarcoidosis)
•difficulty absorbing nutrition from food (malabsorption syndrome)

One should always check with a medical professional before starting any new treatment including over the counter supplements as there can be many factors that may not be know. This is a case of ask your doctor first.

Jon .
I have been experiencing skipped beats for the last three years. I have seen a cardiologist about it, and he assures me that my heart is fine.  Hearing that from him helped me for a while, but then I started getting scared again every time I had a skipped beat. I began obsessing over my health and worrying that I was going to die young. I then began seeing a psychiatrist, which helped me a little. The best advice she gave me was this: when I start to feel panicky, breath in slowly through the nose for the four seconds then breath out slowly through the mouth for three seconds and repeat this up to ten times. She told me this works because your system can eiter be in panic mode or calm mode, and this forces it into calm. I also find it helpful to think to myself while I am going to sleep, that I am healthy and strong, and that I will only get more healthy every day. I also tell myself that I will gradually stop being afraid and that my skipped beats will diminish. This seems to working for me. A phrase that I like but never really understood until now is "This too shall pass" I hope this is helpful to all or at least some of you. At least we know that we are not alone in this.
Hi.  I was diagnosed with pac's and pvc's December of 2009.  I actually rushed to the hospital two times over the holiday because I thought I was dying.  I will have to admit that  anxiety set in after experiencing the pac's and pvc's.  I find that I notice mine more in the evening when I am settling down after being busy all day.  I will have a couple of good weeks and then I will have a bad week. They seem like they come in cycle's.  When wearing the halter monitor for 24 hours it had recorded about 200 of them. I had 3 ekg's and a echogram and everything was normal. My cardiologists told me to give up all caffeine and he put me on metoprolol.  He also told me that they could possibly go away on their own.  Thanks for all of the posts.  I gathered some good info..  Good luck everyone:)
My ablation was a disaster.  I posted about it last year.  I guess it is on here.  I am in my 50's and play concerts all over.  Constantly having 10 or 15 a minute.  Can't stand it but I handle it.  Heart muscle is fine.  I have played 2 hr concerts while in Bigeminy, every other beat.
Disgusting.  No meds.  Heart rate is too slow.  52 at night sitting around.  
I am new to this site and I have read your post and many others and you are all worried about your pac's and pvc's.  I was a mother of three with the youngest being 3 years old when I got my first pac's.  I was 38 years old when I had my heart cath. done at the Cleveland Clinic.  I have been to the University of Michigan medical center and seen all the doctors and had all the tests - event monitor for one month -
done all the stress testing, etc.  I was told the pac's, etc. were not life threatening and had echo's, all the blood work, been to many ER's around the country and
guess what ----  I have seen my children graduate high school, college, get married and I am a grand mother of 7 great kids.  I fully expect to see my oldest grand daughter graduate high school in three years.  I am in generally good health and just turned 70 recently.  Are the pac's life threatening?  NO!  Are they quality of life threatening?  Yes they are.  I still hate it when I get a lot of them or they wake me up at night --- like tonight ---- that's why I am on this site.  I find if
I get up and get my mind busy they don't bother me so much.  Don't stop going to
the grocery store or living your daily life.  You are letting this condition take over.
Enjoy your life and your family and I am living proof that you will probably live to be and "old" lady (I don't feel a day over 40) as long as you take care of yourself and have all your normal check up's and keep a good attitude.  Good luck. and now my
heart has settled down and I am going back to bed.
Great post. Great attitude !!
pac's and pvc's are completely different feelings and symptoms to me...while most pac's are not life threatening (notice I says most) pvc's can be...unfortunately some dr's don't realize this and patients like me suffer - no test pointed to the arrhythmia's I've suffered since age 9 to be dangerous... well yes they did they were just overlooked and brushed under the rug.  

Some dr's think multi focal pvc's aren't dangerous, others think they can be - mine turned out to be malignant and caused all kinds of problems.  I ignored symptoms for too many years and believed my dr's when they said "nothing" was wrong, it's all in your head, you're as healthy as a horse.

Everyone in the world gets arrhythmia's at some time in our lives, some of us feel them and are symptomatic, while others don't feel them at all.  What's "normal" in one person may not be normal in someone else.  Some people panic and have anxiety over 5 or 50 pvc's a day, while others like myself live and deal with 20,000, 30,000 and even 50,000 pvc's daily.

After suffering for over 35 years, my heart finally had enough, luckily my EP was really good and saved my life when my heart stopped 3 times during my EPS.  I was dx with Polymorphic VT (malignant arrhythmia's) no known cause found yet.
The point is : ATTITUDE :)

Like people use words:"suffering".....I would never use that word that easily , might say: had this unpleasant feeling, but I feel great still, because my life is a gift.  Our body cannot be all the time in perfect stage unfortunately, we are often feeling discomfort, but “suffering”?
I have defined totally different things by that word, like if one has a terrible migraine headache. Or  one dying in pain or  been tortured.
  Again: in my opinion all about attitude. I have a positive attitude about my beautiful wonderful heart.:)Even when I learned I have a real heart condition (refuse to use the word: heart disease):)
So should I suffer? No way. It was time in the first year I had many many heart pains, and I smiled and just did everything as usual. Exercise, gardening, working, minding my look,:) ,getting the right food for body and mind ,try to stay young looking, which I accomplished . Now 7 years later I feel excellent, like I never had a heart muscle weakness.
  But of course we are all different. Sorry just had to say my point with more words.:)
Take care.
One more thing: We are all in a "life threatening " situation in every minute after we came to this world.  So with POSITIVE ATTITUDE we better make the most of that life.
The NOW is our life, not the what might happen if..........
sorry I have SUFFERED with 50,000 pvc's for days, hours, months and years on end....no two ways about it - suffered through and dealt with what most people can only imagine; led my life and acted like nothing was wrong and lived life to the fullest.. never let how I was feeling get me down...when someone else can go through that type of "torture" and pain daily then they can truly know what I'm feeling...just my personal opinion...just like I can't know what a person with cancer is going through because I've never had cancer...

each of us have our own opinions and I respect others and expect the way I feel to be respected also - I have truly "suffered" i.e. felt the pain and distress of my heart being "quirky" and stopping...just my own feelings and no 2 people will feel the same things the same way, I've 'suffered' heart muscle weakness i.e. cardiomyopathy which weakened my heart and suffered through malignant dangerous arrhythmia's that lead to sudden cardiac death...

I'm not sure why the previous post was directed to me? I do not see anything in my reply that warranted something like this response?
With pvc's, it's the quality of the pvc, not the quantity, that matters.  It all has to do with how the electrical impulses work in your heart, and there is a wide range that is normal for several different people.  There are pvc's that are life threatening, but only because they are significantly more electrically larger than normal missed heart beats.

http://www.seltrekelectricalsolutions.ca
i am 51 and just started experiencing pvc's went to er and all tests were normal, followed up with my pcp, more tests, no change, scheduled with a cardiologist.  I have these constantly all day and night. takes my breath away and i am feeling extremely tired now.  something is defintely not right, and i don't know what to do , i have to wait 2 weeks to see a cardiologist.  no one really seems to care, i feel hopeless reading all of this information that they are normal and nothing to do about it.  somehow have your heart beat extra doesn't seem normal to me, sounds as if it will wear your heart out at an earlier age and you could die young.  
i am 28 years old and have been feeling these pvcs for about 4 months now. I have had every test in the book and everything came back normal. i went to see a cardiologist and the way he explained it to me was "do you ever get a twitch behind your eye? its the same thing." your heart is a muscle, and muscles twitch. its just what they do. these are completly normal, and everyone gets them. there is no point in freaking out and stressing about them because when you stress out your body releases adrenaline into your body which is only harder on your heart. learn to relax. take deep breaths...for as long as you need. take up yoga. cut back on caffine. you will find they will calm down emmensly, and you will learn to ignore them. as long as i am feeling great in every other way, i couldnt imagine letting this take over my life. you shouldnt either.  
I recently have been diagnosed with pvcs and they drive me nuts. at this very moment i feel like they are never gonna stop. i dont understand how they can be considered normal.
I started having PVC's when I was 31, about 1500 a day.  They started me on Toprol and Lonoxin.  They have calmed down unless I am stressed.  I believe they started from drinking too many diet Mt. Dews a day but they are miserable when they are going on and scary.  I now have been diagnosed with PAC in addition and SVT's.  I don't know that any of them know what the crap they are talking about.  They just put you on meds and send you out the door.  I have been told to go to the Cleveland Heart Clinic.  They can do an oblation (ablation).  I have been just too scared to do it but as I get older I am seriously considering it.  
Those of you with arrhythmia's should also join us in the Heart Rhythm forum http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Heart-Rhythm/show/92 and check out this Live Health Chat Dr. Peter Borek from Cleveland Clinic did Tuesday on  Arrhythmias: Different Types and Available Treatment Options  http://www.medhelp.org/health_chats/archive/64
I just got out of the hospital for severe PVC's. They are crazy and they have ruined and changed my life.  I have had them on and off the last 4 years.  They usually did not happen only when I was stressed or after I excersised.  So I decided to go to a cardoilogist for them and he gave me a Excersis Stree Echo.  They saw a few what they said at the time PAC's. They told me to go on down the road as well. I keep on trucking and by the way I am a very anxious person always have been my whole life. I worried sick to death about these and avoided everything that caused them.  Now my cardo doc had started puting me on Beta Blocker started with Corgaurd for a while and than they put me on Motroppol. Well after the Metropol I began to get them day in and day out.  They are happing probobly 8 to 10 a min and sometime 2 or 3 in a row those are really scary.  I have been dealing with this for the last three weeks I get no break from them at all.  The docters told me to stop the Motropol all togather.  I do have a bottle of xanex and i pop one of those in when things get to hard to handle right now.  When I sit still and focus on them they do get worse but when I go out and do any exerswise at all they get worse to.  So now I have to go back to the cardologies again to wear another holter moiniter to see if they need to due a surgery, pacemaker etc. I will let everyone know on this forum that if you worry about these all day every day they will turn into a worse situation.  They have for me and now I need to start the process of re living a different life than before.  I have a 3 year old and a Wife that I love so Much but it is hard for them to see me like this at all.
I know this sounds like a broken record, but...I'm thrilled to have found this sight. I'm a 49 year old, ultra healthy female who for the past 3 years thought she was going into cardiac arrest on a daily basis. I'm a long distance runner and some days I've felt like my heart would explode if I took another step. PAC's are now pretty much non-stop, I wake up in the morning, take a nice deep breath, and accept it will be my last easy breath of the day. Like everyone else on this board, my doctor has told me my heart is healthy, but regretfully, my PAC's are severe. I genetically have high blood pressure; this morning 185/92. My doctor put me on 25mg of Motropol last week (switched from Cozar), which he increased today to 50mg because it wasn't working...after reading kennspinn's post, I'm wondering if it's making things worse though. Physically this condition is ridiculously draining, and I don't understand why our cardiologists are so quick to tell us to learn to live with them. PAC's hurt, and for me, have altered my quality of day to day life. I just don't ever feel 100% "together" does that make sense? On a good note, I'm really happy to have found this forum.
wow, how wonderful to find this forum although unhappy that we are all here for this horrid reason. i was 32 when i had my first pvc..went to dr. emergency...he sent me to er....cardio....all the usual..has intermittent pvc's for a while ..they totally changed my life i had 2 young children at he time. surprisingly they diminished greatly over the years..i am now 47  i started nursing school 2 years ago. about 6 months ago i had what i call a pvc attack. that was the begining fo the end.. same panic, had it in class rushed to cardiologist...same story...i have been on toprol xl 100mg 2xdaily for 15 years. 3 days ago , was th eend... i began to get them anywhere from 6-12 a minute  they are non stop i have run ons that they were finally able to see on the holter i wore ( i still dont have the results) i was in the emrgency room yet again... i have had countless ekg's, echo, nuclear stress and the gold standard: a heart mri (which took me 3 tries cuz i couldnt be in a tunnel that long with pvc's ). All the tests come back normal, i have no structural abnormalities which apparently make these pvc's dangerous. the ep changed my meds it took me a month to actually change them  he said toprol is a terrible med... he is weaning me off that and giving me verapamil, which in my head will kill me. I am afraid to take anything becuz of these stupid pvc's. I am like all of u, afraid to go out, afraid to be alone, i tell  my kids to call 911 if they see i dont feel well ( what a burden to put on ur kids).. as i write this, my heart is skipping a mile a minute... non stop  funny i'm thinking i'm gonna drop while writing about these horrid things.... any advice or something new would be greatly appreciatedddd......thanks   good luck to all
I am 26 an have 4-6 pVC's a minute. Thats about 5,000 a day. My blood pressure is real low an I get dizzy constantly with a bulging pulsating thing in the left side of my neck. I faint an get clammy an sweat profusely . Could I  have heart problems? My numbers from my EKG are:
RR-902
P-114
PR-188
QRS-92
QT-406
QTC-432
I am a mother of three an I'm waiting two weeks for my holter results. Does anyone have any ideas?
This is my personal experience with Heart Cath, EP and Heart Ablation to NSVT. I'm 44 and suddenly developed runs of PVC's. Within 4 weeks they went from 60/day to over 20,000/day. Did all imaginable tests and doctors all said "don't worry about it" as "my heart and pipes are all structurally sound". I seeked help from an EP doctor (Electro Physiologist) as I did not want to live with this condition. We decided to go for a EP study followed by an irrigated catheter ablation. It was the best decision I ever made for myself. 4 months later I am enjoying a PVC and NSVT free life. Meds did not work for me. Regular cardiologists are not specialized on pvc's/pac's as this are electro conduction related problems in your heart. Only Electro Physiologist can tell you more. Insist to be seen by an EP. All the best to you all.
I have had pvc's since I was 18, I am now 51. I've had test done ,been to diffrent doctors all say the same thing , do not worry about them. I get quite a few of these in a minute non stop. I notice I get them more when my HR is low it gets down into the 40's but when I stand it goes up to the 130's. My BP is low at home but when I go to the DR. it goes sky high. I was put on Bystolic 5 mg  a day which was good for the anxiety,and a lower HR. but it really dropped my BP 80/49. so it didn't really help with the pvc's was told to go to 2.5 1x  a day still to low so I stopped taking anything all together. My pvc's and pac's come in spurts but when they do they are constant I go for a couple months without them, but when they come back it seems like they last forever. My Bp and HR is all over the place too. The only thing that calms them down is Co- Q10 sometimes, been having them for 3 weeks now, also I have alot of diffrent sensations always scary. I use to always go to the ER when  I would get them for this long, but I got tired of hearing the same thing over and over. Don't worry about them. Easy for them to say.
Thank God I discovered this forum! I don't feel so alone and scared. I certainly empathize with everyone who feels the discomfort of PVC's. I'm 44, I started getting them about a month ago and they're getting worse! They started maybe 1 or 2 a minute and now I'm experiencing runs of them as well, 2 and sometimes 3 in a row and then normal heartbeat and then intermittent ones and then more runs of them. Doctors say they're benign but the sensation is bothersome and quite disturbing and certainly causes anxiety! I notice them heavily at night when I first go to bed. Then they start. That weird sensation of flip flop followed by that pause and heavy pound. I HATE them! Prior to bed, I try to relax with chamomile tea and I even feel sleepy and relaxed and feel my pulse in my neck and everything is normal. The minute I hit my bed and try to sleep they start in with a vengeance! I too suffer anxiety and I'm also bipolar, but I was diagnosed in 2003 and have never experienced these sensations until about a month ago. I'm now 44. I'm developing a fear of going to bed now. I've tried diet and exercise and nothing works. They checked my electrolytes and everything is fine. Blood is full of nutrients, albumen levels look great. I dunno, maybe my lack of a normal circadian rhythm (sleep cycle) due to my bipolar condition contributed to these. I can't help but think these things are not going away, but it's enlightening to hear others mention Electro-Physiologists. I've never even heard of such a doctor. I will see if the VA hospital has any available. Thanks all and best wishes.
I know what you mean about the 2 and 3 PVC's in a row being scary! I get the same thing. Terrible.
Your NOT going to DIE!! I feel the same way and have felt the same way now for 15 years. PVCs started with me at the age of 23 and I am 38 and still get them. Sometimes I can go months without any then out of no where its like CRAZY every other beat a pvc,waking up from sleeping with heart beating out of control... I know how you feel. I sit here and think how is this not going to kill me!! But its been so many years now and I still worry. What I can tell you is this if I have wasted 15 years thinking im going to die and it has affected my life. DOnt make the same mistake I did. Also I once read someone say walk into a cancer patients room and tell them about your PVCs and they will take your PVCs over there problem any day. Even though I hear people say not to worry, I myself telling you not to worry. Im still going to worry cause its scary!! But i have thousands a day! If your only have a few just be happy and i can tell you If i can live with thousands im sure you can with a few :) good luck to you.
I just got my hoter monitor report back today.  I had just over 1,000 PVCs in a 19-hour period (I ripped the thing off after 19 hours instead of 24 'cause my skin was so irritated by the tape they used).  I also had atrial tachycardia and was in tachycardia for 22% of the time with a 24 second episode where my heart beat between 250 and 300 beats per minute...I didn't even know that  heart could beat that fast without exploding. :)  

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that they said the PVCs were benign even though I feel them all and they drive me crazy.  Also, my sister had a successful ablation last year and she had 29,000 PVCs on her holter prior to the surgery!!!  29,000!!!  Her heart rate was 37 bpm because she had so many ineffective beats.  She suffered from bigemeny and trigemeny and this is the kicker...NEVER noticed one.  She said she felt faint and dizzy sometimes but not one flutter, thump or flip flop.  I can't believe it as I feel every one.  She's a physician and sometimes after two PVCs, the sinus rhythm thump would be so strong that her stethoscope would actually jump off her lab coat.

They wouldn't have even fixed hers because they said her heart was otherwise healthy but because she was having so few "regular" heart beats that her blood wasn't pumping effectively around her body anymore and that was affecting her quality of life and health.

Now, if she never died from her PVCs, we won't die from a measly thousand or so a day.

Just a thought,
S.
that was supposed to say "holter" and not hoter.

Sorry about that - hate typos.
Hey,
I'm recently a new pvc incomer lets say. On Saturday afternoon i started noticing skipped heart beats ranging from every 10 seconds to every few minutes. I ended up going to the ER eventually as I did not know what they were and I was having them so frequently. Anyways doc did some kind of test to "catch" one as he put it then I was out of there and he said everything was fine and they would go away. Its now monday night ( i know only two days) but i still get them just as much and I'm scared it may be something worse. I am definitely calling my cardiologist tomorrow to do a thousands tests so i feel better about it ( i get anxiety quite a bit and so things like that just dont get out of my head). Anyways the fact that i prob have from like 4-6 (lets hope not more) a minute i range in the thousands a day and i feel every single one of them... I'm 20 years old. Last year i did do a stress test, a holter and some kind of heart ultrasound thing. Everything came out fine. however this is the first time i ever feel the pvcs and they are so strong and frequent its flipping me out. Anyways thought I'd share my story hoping any of you can give me some guidance and reassurance
I just got on this forum ..Are you still having your PVC's as much now as you did in January? I have had them since I was 20 and I am now 50. I feel everyone also right now Iam having about 8 to 10 per minute. i went to my cardiologist and of course they say "they will not hurt you" But they are killing me (so to speak)...I get so up set when they don't go away quickly...They put me on something called Tambacor an ant-arrhythmia medicine I only take it as needed..It works most of the time...Thank God...But of course I'm scared of it to. I envy people so much who don't have them Iam afraid to excerise life is so hard when I'm having them but the good day I have with out them I count my blessings...I hope you get relief from these horrible things and if they get worse you can ask about some kind of anti-arrithmitha meds.  
OMG!!! Finding this thread made me feel SO much better about my condition. I'm 28 years old, with no history of any heart diseases, generally in great health. But I've been getting those PVCs for about 3 years now. I was never told by doctors they were PVCs, but I'm assuming they are because all the symptoms matches. I've been to 3 doctors regarding to this issue and none of them seems concern about it. I did all kinds of blood works, all normal. I never did the EKG because my doctor didn't think I need one since it was only happening a few times a day so the only thing that was going to catch it is the holtor monitor thing, which he also didn't think it was needed in my case. He just told me a lot of people deals with it and how it's not harmful to me at all.

I do suffer from anxiety/depression/hypochondria, so not worrying about it is almost impossible to do. I actually learned to deal with it throughout the day, but it's the night time episodes that bothers me. It normally happens as I'm trying to fall asleep, when I'm completely relaxed, right as I'm about to doze off, an episode hits, sometimes it's strings of them, it scares the living crap out of me, then I happened to get an mini panic attack right after that. Of course I must sit up and try to calm myself down before trying to sleep again. It's indeed extremely frustrating because it ruins the quality of my sleep. Did I mentioned the episodes would sometimes wake me up from sleep as well?? It ***** so bad, I would do anything to get rid of them.

I'm currently taking Ativan for my anxiety, it helps at times, but not every time. I definitely want to try to take some supplements to see if it'll improve. I heard CoQ10 will work, maybe that's what I'm investing next. I get so depressed over the fact I'm suffering from this annoying skip beats, etc. I won't give up on finding the solution to this problem.

Anyone experiencing the same issues who wants to chat and not feel alone, feel free to email me at ***@****

Best wishes to all of us, hopefully one day we can all break free from this torture. God bless.
Hello Out there I have been having PVC's for about 4 years now.  Stress seems to bring them on for me and then when there is a skip I have more anxiety and there is mor skipping.  I have had several EKG's through the years and everything looks good.  I also have had the a screening from www.Lifelinescreening.com.  No plaque build up everything looks good.  The PVC's have become much more frequent.  I went to my family practice doctor last week and had a bunch of blood tests done, had two EKG's everything looked fined, of course the PVC's never happen when I am on the EKG.  I wore the Holter monitor and I documented about 140 PVC's during a 24 hour period.  My doctor is sending me to a Cardiologist to be checked out, which I welcome because I want the works, stress test, Sonogram, EKG everything just to assure me that everything is fine.  
  Anyway I have been studying the PVC's hard and my conclusion from looking at information from top Medical schools like Harvard, Duke, UCLA all say as long as you just have the benign non dangerous irregular beats and do not have any other factors liken high blood pressure, diabetes etc. that you really should not worry about it and that most people have some PVC's at some point in life.  I know that is easier said than done but all of you out there that are freaking out over the PACS and PVCS well try not to worry about it, take care of all of your other health and get excercise and eat right and you may live to be 100.  Go to the Mayo Clinic webite and check out their write ups on PVC's.  They say that alot of people and doctor freak out over the PVC's unnecessarily.  Do a search and type in mayo clinic and PVCS or go to the Mayo clinic website and type PVC's into their search engine.  
  I will keep you all informed what my Cardiologist has to say.  He is a old high school friend that I have not seen in 20 years.  He went to Emory in Atlanta , Duke and UNC Chapel Hill in NC and is pretty fresh out of school so he should know all of the latest finding and information on the PVCS etc.
  I do understand about everyone being anxious and freaked out about
PVCS, I have been there and done that even in the last few days and for years now, but as long as you do not have other risk factors you are good to go from all that I have read and researched.
I forgot to say to that there are alot of factor out there that can cause PVCS, usually some king of environmental factor or some habit.  Most website say that anxiety, stress, alcohol, smoking, illegal drugs(especially hard drug stimulants), marijuana can cause PVCS.  They all say that if you have any of these habits or issues that when you stop those things your irregular heart beats should be greatly reduced or eliminated.  There are alot of health factors too.  Anemia, lack of potassium, lack of iron, lack of magnesium, electrolyte imbalance,  thyroid problems, chemical changes in the body and imbalances.  I also saw on a medical university website that GERD(acid reflux) can cause this too.  Your esophogus is right behing your heart and pain and irritation in  the digestive tract can cause the PVCS.  Also the latest thing that I have found out is that Prevacid, Prilosec, Zantac etc. reduce the acid in your stomach and you need acid in your stomach to properly digest and absorb vital minerals and vitamins like iron, potassium, magnesium, B-12, calcium etc.  I confirmed this with my doctor and I think that may be part of my problem.  I have been taking Prilosec everyday for the last 6 years.  I hope this help and you all have a nice day and try not to worry.  Whew this website I like alot and all of the people on here with my same problem have helped me to further ease my mind.
I see to that caffine is one of the biggest causes of PVCS according to most websites and several doctors that I have spoken with.
I think the trigger for your PVC's is very apparent, you are obsessed with them and you give them much too much thought. You have been checked out pretty well and have been cleared. You only had 140 PVCs while on the monitor which is very, very few. I have 5,000 per day and it is common for people to have tens of thousands a day.

If you do go to a Cardiologist and they clear your health, are you going to be more likely to believe them? I think you may want to ask about ways to control your anxiety over these things as well.

Good luck with your cardiologist and let us know how it goes.

Jon
It was comforting to find this forum.  I have 3000 pvs (lower chamber involved) per day according to my 24 heart monitor.  I had a heart cath 2 days ago.  All was perfect, my pipes were clean the Dr. said.  (the heart cath is scary but in the end it is very doable and easy procedure, no pain and is fast to complete).

8 years ago I had these.  Had ekg, stress test and all that and passed everything and Dr. told me I am fine.  no heart troubles.  and the pvcs  continued.  drove me nuts and one day I woke up and they were gone. totally gone.

now 8 yrs later they came back.  scary.  I did the gambit again.  nuclear stess test, ultrasound, 24 hr heart monitor and finally the heart cath. the other day.  My stress test showed abnormal even though I completed it easily.  But of course in the end the Dr. says many women throw a false stress test reading (which I did--ugh).   But the heart cath showed my heart is perfect.

And yes the Dr. told me pvcs are normal for everyone, I happen to get alot of them.  They do drive you insane, want to take your breath away, give that nasty throat feeling and the dreaded flip/thump almost constantly.

But this morning they are way less severe as they were because I relaxed.  reading that others have this to the level I do actually made a difference.  I could never explain the feeling to anyone.  But many posters here are writing my exact symptoms and my feelings on them also.  So to me I have validation and I relaxed mentally.  I thought about this last night and decided to stop the obsession on my heart pvcs and move forward.  And so far they are minor compared to what lead me down the medical road to find out what was wrong with me :)

I paid for a detailed vitamin/mineral test from my primary dr.  Results are back and next week I go to see the results.  Will be interesting to see if I am lax in any of those and if they do correlate to the pvcs.  Maybe low in magnesium?  maybe low in something? lol, will find out tho.

What drove me nutso was every test coming back normal.  BP 117/72, total blood panel came back perfect, a bit high on cholesterol so that got me thinking clogged artery could be doing this to my heart.  nope.

I started taking CQ10 a few days ago, I drink a healthy dose of 100% organic aloe vera juice, daily multi, fish oil and garlic.

while the pvcs are happening still, after reading this forum they have decreased because I relaxed more realizing I am not alone, no one has passed from this yet and many are older having these for many years.  

Best I can hope is they decide to go away on their own like last time, but after reading this forum I will try some suggestions with vitamins, stress reduction (even tho I have little stress in my life) and deal wtih them best I can.

I was getting the same way many described.  scared to leave the house thinking I would pass out driving, in a store, keel over alone somewhere, etc.   The feeling is horrible.  It throws your anxiety/panic level out of whack.  It did for me!    

but knowing how many others are in the same boat as me, actually made me relax more.  

best of luck to everyone and hears hoping our pvcs take a hike for good at some point :)

I began taking Potassium, Magnesium about a week before my doctors visit and Holter monitor last week.  I got back my bloodwork and my magnesium was just a tenth of a point above the minimum even after taking 300 mg of magnesium for a week, my potassium was solid.  My Red Blood count was a little bit low and hemoglobin right at the minimum.  I have had this low red blood count thing going on, I discussed this with my doctor and asked him about the Prilosec that I take every day shutting down the acid pumps in my stomach and you need acid in your stomach to properly digest and absorb vital minerals in foods and supplements.  He agreed with this, but I must take the Prilosec or the heartburn is unbearable.  Anyway I have two things above that may be contributing to skipped beats weak magnesium numbers and slightly low red blood count.  I also have been drinking gatorade for the electrolytes.  After reading about Co-Q10 I began taking that about 3 or 4 days ago and within about 5 hours of me taking that my heart seems to have snapped out of a very long run of skipping for months on end.  Maybe it was that the magnesium really took effect after taking it for a few weeks.  I really think that it was the Co-Q10.  Within hours after taking it my heart settled down tremendously and has skipped maybe 4 times in the last 3 or 4 days.
  Erijon it is so true about the anxiety compounding things.  Thank goodness for the internet, great information on the internet and great blogs.  Knowledge is power but knowledge can definitely scare you or give you anxiety and sometimes ease your mind.  I see from a Cleveland clinic doctor that they do not get worried about PVC's and PAC's if you have a structurally normal heart and your heart skips less than 10-15% of total beats.  In my case that would be about 10,000-15,000 skipped beats per day.   So after seeing this and looking medical university webites saying that it is not a big deal.  All of that has eased my mind and I am not to worried about it now and this blog is reasurring to that I am not having a serious abnormal problem I love reading the posts says that they have had PVC's for 40 years or something and they are fine.
  Thank goodness that the natural supplements are working for me.  I have also added Vitamin E, Fish oil and a over the counter Iron supplement to my supplements in the last few days.  I have also been eating and drinking things that are high in magnesium, potassium and iron for the last week or so.  I also increased the dose of Co-Q10 200mg twice a day instaed of once a day.  There is not a established daily recommendation on the Co-Q10 but they may a 400mg capsule so I figured that it would not hurt to increase the dosage.  Like I say I do not know if it is the CoQ-10 or the combination of the supplements that I am taking or my magnesium and iron levels have increased but I am having a skip free day so far and just a few few skips for 3 or 4 days.  
I go next week to find out a full detailed 20 page report on my vitamins/minerals.  I can't wait for that because I am soooooo wondering if deficient in something and if yes, would it make a diff. on my pvcs?
don't know yet but can't wait to find out.

what I said earlier, honestly knowing others have the exact situation and tests are coming out healthy heart meant such a big change in my pvcs.  my anxiety level dropped so much that while I still feel my pvcs the severity of them has lessened so much.  I no longer fear them like I did.

another said knowledge is power and that is so true.  when I didn't have the full scoop on this pvc situation my anxiety was thru the roof.  now I am in a relaxed mode trying to find ways to 'make them magically disappear' :)

I read on the Mayo Clinic website about PVC's that once the deficiency is taken care of such as Potassium, Magnesium, iron(if anemic) that PVC's and PAC's should go away.  I think that is my case or the Co-Q10 did it.  I have had very very few skips in the 6 or 7 days.  I have been waiting on my Doctor to get back with me about the referal to the cardiologist.  They called yesterday and said that it would be 25 days before I could be seen.  I had looked up the the best Cardic Electrophysiologist in Atlanta who had won the Top Doctors in America Award that U.S. Newsweek and World report rank as top doctors in their chosen field.(He is the only EP top doctor winner in the South except for two in Virginia somewhere near Washington.)  Anyway I had looked this doctor up at www.castleconnolly.com because my father may end up having to get a cather ablation done.  Well I called my doctor back and told them that 3 or 4 weeks was a bit long to wait on the cardiologist in my town and told them that I was going to go to a doctor in Atlanta.  I called and made the appointment with this Cardiac EP at Emory for Monday morning.  He is pretty young at about 46 and did all of his school work and hospital work at UCLA.  I hope that he laughs at me and tells me that nothing is wrong.   I will let everyone know what the doctor says.  I picked up my Holter Monitor paperwork to take to the the EP and it says that I had a total of 540 PVC's and 128 PAC's.  I had no A-fib, max heartrate was 147 low was 44.(That is low, average heartrate was 80)  I had three tachcardia epsiodes with a rate of 141 bpm, I guess that was when I was running and jogging. I will keep you all filled in.
Widespread
I would do the same as you.  25 days to wait to see a cardiologist is too long in my book.  And you are smart to find the best Dr. that relates to your problems.  I am sure you will get good info. from this Dr.  I hope all is fine and he does laugh and say all is good :)

You also have PAC along with the PVC.  yikes.  I don't think I could handle both.  at least with the pvc I don't have any true pain.  I read that the PAC can cause actual pain in the chest etc.

you have a bit to get thru and I wish you the best of luck.  let us know what happens.  Any info you can pass to all of us on these pain in the but pvs/pacs would be great.

I personally do not have any pain with my skipped beats.  I hear that everyone is different.  The way I undstand it is that PAC's are just has harmless as a PVC if you do not have a structurally abnormal heart.  The PAC's originate from the upper chamber in the atria and is caused by the electrical impluses that are in the atria that keep the heart in synch.  The PVC's originate in the lower chamber of the heart at the ventricle.  Both PAC's and PVC's result in a extra beat or skipped beat.  Most medical universities and websites say that it is very hard for someone to tell the difference between a PVC or PAC, usually only the Holter Monitor of the EKG can tell the difference.  I hope this helps.
I just did a little more research and have found several doctors and patients that have discussed it with their doctors that say PAC's are preferrable to PVC's.  One said that the reason is that if it is a PVC in the ventricle, that if the ventricle is stimulated to contract before it repolarizes there could be a problem.  I had read that before to that Pac's are really harmless even more so than PVC's.  Then again I am sure that all doctors have a different point of view on this.  I also read that 15 years ago most doctors thought that PVC's and PAC's were life threatening serious heart problems.  Now through research, science, great technology and great medical schools they kinow better now and I am sure that their are many doctors out there that are still in dark are PVC's and PAC's, probably like my family practice doctor who seems mighty concerned about my pvc's and PAC's. I am sure that he is one of the doctors that still believes that these are harmful, even with a structurally normal heart.  I am sure that my heart is fine or I would not be able to run/jog/walk 18 miles a week for the last year.
Went to see an EP at Emory today who is one of the top EPs is America, according to U.S. Newsweeka dn World report, just telling you all that so if any of you are still worried about your heart I trust this guy here.  He told be that my 540 PVC's and my 128 PAC's are harmless and benign as long as my heart is structurally normal.  He said that nothing needs to be done and that my extra beats were a very small percentage.  They usually get worried when the PVC's and Pac's are 10-15% of total beats.  He said that if the beats really begin to get on my nerves, that eventually he could prescribe some medication to calm them down and told me that the last last resort if the PVC's are getting on my nerves and diminishing my quality of life, he could do an abaltion and that would take care of that.   But none of those things need to be done unless my heart is unhealthy or if I just get to a point where I want to be done witht the skipped beats and get an ablation.  They did the Echo imaging of my heart looked at all the valves and everything for about 30 minutes and the doctor will be in touch in the next day or two.  I could not help but ask the lady who did the imaging tests if she saw a bunch of red flags or anything and she said no that she did not see anything that threw up a red flag.  
Glad your Echo seems normal so far.   I got same results.

that is what I heard now also.  I have 3,000 pvc per day and according to my ultra healthy heart they are not going to be harmful.  

at this point I am done with heart tests.  Mine is perfect at this point.

it is an annoying situation.  you feel the pvcs, you have actual symptoms and it just can get on ones nerves for sure.  I am more relaxed now knowing my heart is in good shape and being relaxed has reduced my pvcs (or the intensity) by alot.

hang in there!
got my ultra detailed vitamin/mineral report back.

I am low on darn near everything in my body.  One the slidig scale I was kinda like a C-- to a D+ type person.  My levels should be in the Bs to A scale.

I am off the charts LOW in calcium.
I am very low in CQ-10 (and we know CQ-10 and heart go together)
I am very low in B3 and other B vits
Very low in Vit K (which is not common, hmm)

I left with $348 worth of dr. certified vitamins and a schedule of alot of pills and drops  :)   I flinched at first, then I thought, who cares.  Instead of buying a few worthless 'stuff' items I am spending this money on ME to improve my health.

Overall was low on the scale for immune system.  I am now going to correct all those numbers.   Dr. said we will retest in 8 months after taking all the steps to improve my numbers.

Dr. also told me anyone on cholesterol meds your CQ-10 will go lower also.  CQ-10 is super important and I think if I get my levels back up it should help the heart pvcs to lessen.

My detailed cholesterol came back.  original test was 245.  Detailed test 2 weeks later showed my cholesterol at 216.   I believe the 216 test more.  It also showed I have every single BAD indicator.  Small cholesterol to clog up the heart, other situations in the blood to make me have the Bad indicators.  It was interesting to hear fully abuot the cholesterol situation.

but I am trying natural, healthy alternatives first.  not doing chol. meds yet.  I want to see if by changing diet and taking the 'natural choles. package pills' for 8 months will affect my cholesterol.  Trigly. are good.

I am going to change that cholest. number the good old fashioned healthy way :)   at least try hard!

In general I am doing better.  I have my deficiencies in vits/minerals which I can now work on.   I will attack that cholesterol situation.  

So all in all I am in a good spot at this point.  being pro active in getting all balances back into my body.

Hope everyone out there has success and is feeling better after taking control!!
FarmerChick Glad that you know what all of your bloodwork looks like.  I wanted to say that it has been almost two weeks for me since 99% of my PVC's and PAC's have been gone.  I really think that it is the Co-Q10 since the PVC's diminished within about 4 or 5 hours of taking it.  The magnesium is helping to I believe.  Anyway I wanted to tell you about a great natural supplement called Cholest-Off.  It is made by Nature made and you can find it at Walmart and Sam's Club's and most pharmacies.  It is natural plant sterols and stanols that you take 30 minutes before eating and it helps block the absorbtion of cholesterol.   It really works I took it for 8 months a few years back when my total Cholesterol was 248 and my bad was 155.  After 8 months of taking this and eating well my total cholesterol was 183 and my bad cholesterol was 109.  It really works and is clinically proven to be effective.  Ask your doctor about adding that to your supplements and as well taking fiber capsules before meals has been clinically proven to block and reduce cholesterol same effect as eating Cheerios but before meals a few fiber capsules seems to work very well.  Ask your doctor.
  I still have not heard back offically about my Echo.  I called Friday and the nurse was out.  I will wait until Monday and if I do not hear back I am going to call and check.
I went to my cardiologist yesterday for my full report on heart catherization.   I am perfect.  He was very happy on results.  BUT he still wants me on very low dose of beta blocker.  HMMMM.  I wanted to avoid that.   He said that since I am 3000 pvcs per day, it can 'over the long term' cause my heart to overwork and that isn't good.  He said he wanted to slow down the rate and it should make the pvcs disappear and make my heart work less hard over a long period of time.  HMMM.  I told him I had to think about it.    I DO NOT know what to do about this.  Not a fan of taking a beta blocker but not really sure about the drug??

Cholest-Off.  WOW you have had great results wtih it.  I have seen the product.    My primary Dr. put me on Triplechol.  It has the plant sterols and stanols also.   I wonder if I shouldn't be taking both.   I opted out of chol. meds right now and want definitely to stay on the natural stuff first.
Your results were very good.  I am impressed with the drop in numbers.

Post your echo results.  I bet you are OK  :)

Us pvc people are in a strange group that is for sure.  Hearts are healthy but we feel the weird sensations.  You are so lucky the CQ-10 seems to have helped.   I am on alot of CQ-10 also and while they have lessened the stupid pvcs are still there.    But I think I will find something to handle them more.
Dont think that way! I'm 34 with no history of heart issues. Went to the GI DR. for gall stones, doctor scheduled a colonocopy. During the procedure i started having crazy PVCS. Holter monitor confirmed 40K PVCS in 48 hours. Just had catheter ablation of the PVCs last Friday. I felt better instantly but have been brutally tired. I like to run 3-4 times a week but feel a different disturbance in my chest now. Echo would have caught any issues with my heart right? Feeling so anxious and exhausted...
I have been out of town for a bit, but did get my results from the echocardiogram.  They said that I did have what they call Trace Mitral Valve Regurgatation. That is where the Mitral valve does not close tightly and a little blood sloshes or regurgatates back into the heart.  They said that it is harmless as well and a benign problem that could be caused by being just slightly dehydrated.  I did tell the nurse that I came in fasting for the appointment just in case the doctor wanted to do some bloodwork and I did run 2 miles the evening before right after dinner.  She said that was probably the cause since I have not had alot to drink in about 13 hours.  They told me that I was good to go and there was no treatment or medications necessary.
  Fortunately the skipped beats have reduced tremendously over the last month with all of the supplements that I am taking.  Now with the anxiety gone about the health of my heart they have almost all together stopped.  Plus I have been hiking in the mountains of North Carolina for the past few weeks and have been getting alot of exercise and of course it is really pretty and relaxing there so that is probably helping too.
I forgot to say that besides the very slight Mitral Valve regurgatation which was most likely from being a little dehydrated, everything else looked great  with my heart.
  Oh yeah Stevirichelle the echo will show any structurally abnormalities of your heart.  I produces a image of your heart so they can see alot of things about your heart like blockage, the health of the heart fibers, if you have an enlarged heart, a leaky valve, mitral vavlve prolapse and alot of other things too.  The way I understand it if you have over 10,000-15,000 skipped beats per 24 hour then they need usually do a catheter ablation or try to calm down the heart with arrythmic drugs which I hear can cause you heart to have even more problems with the skipping and have read online from doctors saying that sometimes the strong arrythmic drugs can sometimes cause a simple pvc problems to turn into a bad case of A-fib.  The beta blockers are the first route before going to the strong arrythmics.  I am so glad I did not get prescribed anything because I can not tolerate beta blockers.  I took the drug of choice called metaprolol for 2 days about 5 years ago when I had a little high blood pressure and I was so dizzy that I was about to fall out and discontinued the meds, found a new doctor and got myself healthy naturally with supplements, exercise and diet.
  I was also going to say that I am thinking that many peoples PVc's and Pac's can be controlled and greatly reduced by finding that one habit that its probably causing the problem.  Like drinking Coke, coffee, smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol, doing any kinds of recrational drugs and there are prescription drugs too that can cause the PVCs.  Sometimes the underlying problem is not as easy to resolve like reflux, anxiety, being low of vital vitamins, being anemic or having a more serious underlying cause.  It may be even harder to stop drinking, smoking and to stop drinking alot of coke and coffee.  
I left out that even with a healthy heart if you have over 10,000-15,000 extra beats they usually want to treat that with a catheter ablation.  Check out the doctor chat link around the middle of this blog from a Cleveland Clinic doctor, there is alot of good info in the Q&A.
WideSpread...that is great to hear you are doing well.

I am the same.  the minute I got all the news my heart WAS healthy the pvcs have lessened and don't feel as pronounced.  anxiety thinking you are in some heart trouble situation sure can ramp up the nasty feelings.

you sound like you are finding great ways to handle this.  good for you!

I was going to say to that all of the things that I told the EP about my extra beats fit most people's story the Doctor said.  I told him that stress seemed to bring them on and he said that was usually the case with his other patients.  I also told him that theybothered me while trying to fall asleep.  He said that it was not from laying down but when you are really calm and quite the skips are more noticeable and when you are sitting.  When I saw the EP at Emory they gave me an EKG first and detected no extra beats.  The doctor came in and went over the Holter information from my family doctor.  Once I went and laid down to start the Echo test my heart started skipping and I was feeling anxious too.  I am glad that the extra beats happened 5 ot 6 times during the test so they could see what was going on even further more with Echo and the extra beats happening during the test.  I have put them out of my mind and even if my heart starts going crazy again I am not going to worry with it because I know that my heart is heathy and even if it was not I have got a great doctor now that can fix or repair any problems that may arise in the future.
Oh yeah my doctor said the 700 extra beats that I had in 24 hours was a very small percentage of the total beats.  My heart had beat 112,000 times.  Which is about average for a male.  I also exercised alot while on the monitor getting my heart rate up to 145 several times during exercise.  If I has not exercised so much with the monitor there would have been fewer beats.  I wanted to make sure to show the doctors what was going on with my heart during all activities.
  Farmer Chick I am so glad too that your beats have really lessened.I am confident now that these beats are not going to kill us if we have a normal structurally normal heart.  Mayo clinic says that a large majority of all people have PVC's and PAC's and they are harmless and most people have no idea they are havingn them.  I thought that I felt all of my extra beats when theym happened obviously not,  I pressed the button on the Holter about 145 times and I really had about 700 extra beats, so I do not feel all of mine.  I also wanted to comment that theye are not skipped beats, ofr your heart stopping momentarily, they are actually extra , premature beats.  It can feel like your heart is stopping but really it is just sending an extra beat before the last beat finishes.  Good luck everybody and know that you are going to be fine if your heart is structurally normal.  Try to forget the PVC's if you have been cleared by the doctor.
Not sure if you still monitor this post.  I hope you are feeling better and the PVCs are under control.  I have had PVCs for 30 years and freak out a bit with every one. You would think I would have gotten used to them by now.  I managed to raise 3 children all the time worried I would pass out while driving or simply drop dead.  So far that did not happen.  I was taken to the ER a few times because I had odd palpitations..sustained AFIB....PVCs that were every other beat (bigeminy). etc.  I am 63 now and believe it or not I have a 5 year old son (second marriage).  He is the light of my life and the PVCs and old worries are still with me.  I take Flecainide and that has helped a lot.  I am down to 20-30 a day on bad days and many days 1-2 or none.  Good luck.  Your posts hit a nerve.  I hope you are alive and well and your kids are thriving.  
When I went to my doc. He said sleep was number one priority. Also stress and to limit caffeine. He encouraged me to get back to the gym, he said that will help diminish PVC's. I can relate to much of what has been said on this board, for a condition that is supposed to be harmless they sure have turned my life upside down. My only relief when they were really bad was my Ambien I took every night to sleep. I wish I would have found this board  a few months ago! Good luck to you all, hang in there.
You may call me crazy but it works for me and if you do some research to understand what I am about to say you should find it true. I recommend starting to eat 2 bananas per day for the sole purpose of potassium intake. After doctors didn't care and called it normal I became my own doctor and researcher and so far this simple solution has completely taken care of my PVC's.
Well, they are back again for me.  I first had them when I was in my early twenties, during university.  Holter monitor, tests, dr. visits, specialists, and yes they all said it was normal.
I am now 46 and on vacation, and they are back with a vengeance.  I know exactly how they feel, a little like going down a roller coaster, an uneasiness in your chest, and you can notice it with a delay in your pulse.  I am scared to figure out how frequently I am getting them....
here is the funny part tho, I am on vacation with little stress, I have a very stressful job, but run 7-10 km every day or every other day, I am not overweight, I do not drink or smoke, but admittedly I was up to 6 cups of coffee a day until my vacation, stopped coffee, and running for 2 weeks and here they are again???
I HAVE A THREE YEAR OLD, THE LAST THING I NEED IS TO DIE AND LEAVE HER FATHERLESS.  

I plan to continue my routine PVC's or not, running 7-10 km per day, more sleep will help too...  I won't give in to this annoyance.  

Annoyed on vacation!

My holter showed 37,540 PVCs per day. The cardiologist says there's nothing dangerous about it, as I'm otherwise healthy, aside from crippling depression and anxiety. I'm 40, and female. I've been on 5 medications (atenolol, verapamil, Flecainide, metoprolol, carvedilol) and they haven't worked. To me, it seems ldangerous,, because I feel awful most of the time. I don't have health insurance, of course.
I have been having PVCs that I have noticed for a couple of months now.  Had an EKG, ECG and wore a Holter monitor.  24-hour Holter monitor period showed in excess of 900 for that day.  Had me concerned but a very well known and respected ElectroCardiologist -- she specializes in the electrical aspects of the old ticker -- says that unless you are having 10k to 20k a day or more that they usually aren't too concerned.  EKG and ECG both showed a very strong heart for a person of 63+ years.  Doing a little detective work myself, I noticed that I seem to get them mostly shortly before and after my noon meal.  Then discovered that if I take two (2) Tums Extra Strength 750 with Calcium and follow that fifteen (15) minutes later with two (2) Gas-X Extra Strength that the PVCs almost virtually disappear.  Very strange but somewhat comforting to know that all I have to do is chew a couple of Tums and Gas-X once a day and alleviate most of the PVCs.  The human body is a strange, wonderful and -- sometimes -- very frustrating place to live.  She wanted me to take Flecainide but that was just because the PVCs were bothering me when I didn't know exactly what they were or what was going on.  Now that I know more about the condition, I can live with them and while I have the Flecainide prescription filled, won't start taking it unless they get a heckuva lot worse than they are now.  I sympathize and empathize with each and every one of you who are going through this.  It is not a fun time.  But it is comforting to know that they are not -- at least in my case -- induced or exacerbated by stress as I am a volunteer with the local Search and Rescue and have been on several callouts since they started and the adrenaline rush actually seems to help abate them.  Also comforting to know that I am not alone.
wow i didnt know acid-reflux causes them. i have GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) but my PVC's calmed down for a few months. im currently on Omeprezole which does the exact same thing as the medications you listed, and i have noticed that my ectopics have been worse. Im sure am getting thousands a day i feel so hopeless. I sympathise with all the situations i've read because i can totally relate. Im only 19 and i feel as if i cant live a normal life. But my PVC's only started with stress so i remain optimistic that one day they will go and those that 'suffer' with this horrible condition are in my prayers. Thank you so much for your info about reflux...you've stopped my hours of crying.
God bless.
I had frequent pvcs for over 30 years.  I went on a gluten free diet and they totally resolved!  I know how you all feel...give it a try.  
I have also had non-sustained V-Tach and I went for about a couple of months with no PVCs and now BAM, But I am not gonna worry about them because everytime I have had them in the past they say I am fine and my EF if fine, Scary though!!
Pvcs & pacs are really getting me down Iv been suffering with these since I was 19 now 32 some weeks I'll only get the odd one or two a day some weeks nothing 7 years ago I had a bad spell of them went to A&E (ER in U.S) I got refured to cardiology where they put a heart montor on me for 24 hours which picked up nothing so they put one on for a week that did pick the pvcs and pacs  up but the consultant said your are fine it's stress related and I'm not going to die and that he didn't feel the need to put me on medication .. So off I went suffering in silence thinking I'm going to die .. Like I said they have always been a part of my life but in November I started having theses god dam pvcs and pacs again not just the odd on 100 a day after a few days of having over a 100 a day went to A&E they put me on an ECG and thank god they showed up at last I'm not going crazy it's there in black and white that I'm having them so they took bloods , blood presure all the test they needed to and all came back ok even my heart rate was nomal other that having pvcs & pacs I was refured back to cardiology where they decided to give me an echo plus a 24 hour heart montor and again all came back fine the consultand told me my heart was fine my ECG was fine everything in fact was text book and what I'm getting is pvc & pacs he doesn't know the reason why some people get them and don't even know then the likes of me get them and can feel every god dam one I start to cry at this point and said even though I wasn't having on the day I had my appointment with him I told him its getting me really down when I do have bad spells of them he tried to reassure me I'm not going to die I'm a healthy young woman with a perfectly normal heart and he doesn't feel the need to treat it with medication so off I go yet again with no answers    ;-( I start to think of the positives and thought ok I'm going to be ok I need to get on with things and that I did then last Sunday out of the blue bang there back all day Sunday / Monday / Tuesday and on Wednesday I broke down I can't take this feeling as if my heated going to stop I got sent home from work tried to relax but still had them Thursday iv been keeping a diary over a 100 pvcs/pacs a day I'm drained I feel so down and depressed so I went back to the doctors and by chance had a different doctor who is never seen before he listened to me and was very sympathetic he proscribed me propranolol (any one had these and do they work he's give me 40 mg and I can take them up to 3 times a day ) haven't started to take them yet .. As I sit here writing this I'm having them I'm crying and can't take no more I just want  to be normal ;-(
Hello everyone. So happy to have found this thread. I have been suffering from PVCs and PACs since I was 5 years old. I am 22 now and didn't get evaluated for the "flip flop" in my chest until I was 19 years old. I had only 5 or 6 multiple beat runs PAC/PVCs on 2 separate Holter monitors. So, I had some NSVT.

***On the two separate days I wore the holter monitor, I did not feel one flip flop in my chest - yet it was happening anyway!***

My cardiologist isn't the least bit concerned about these, he told me they are fine and to go about my life. Like you all, I struggle with this. It's a very scary feeling to know that your heart is having an electrical storm inside your chest.

I am a nursing student and I am currently doing rotations in an ICU. All of the patients are hooked up to continuous cardiac monitoring and I would say 90% of them have multiple PVCs/PACs a day.

I think a common denominator between us all is stress&anxiety.

I've had PVCs for a number of years. Was on one beta blocker and it worked for a while then stopped so they put my on bystolic - again it worked for a while and then stopped. I was on a monitor (ZIO patch) for a week and everything was normal except for the PVCs - they were occurring 3% of the time which both my cardio and GP said was a lot. So my cardio put me on flecainide, and my GP had a surprised look on his face when I told him. So far, no side effects. I still have some PVCs but not nearly as bad, and I can deal with them. Before the flecainide, it was happening mulitple times every day.

But, reading what people are saying about flecainide, it makes me hesitate. I also had a stress echo so they could make sure nothing else was going on, and the cardio said everything looks great.

Pros/cons of flecainide? Any other medication to take? How many just live with this?

I'm sure stress has a lot to do with this, but I really can't get away from it at this point.
I have notice that my BP goes up too when I have these skip beats,
Sounds very reassuring to read your last sentences.
People PVCs are not normal, period, Normal is not having any. I get so pissed off these people and specially Doctors saying that PVCs are normal. Its outrages, as a heart patient with over 5000 per day (in a good day) I cant tell you that having this is more then a curse. I have no words to express of how weak and fatigue It feels to have this problem. All my issues started with an undetectable virus that attacked my heart at the age of 25 damaging my apex. I lived for nine years and all the heart issues a human being can have even getting Defibrillated (shocked) 31 times without knowing what I had. Until on doctors decide to do an Biopsy in 2006. Before then I had DOCTORS say in my face "you will have more issues as you grow older, will just treat you with drugs". I had numerous ablations and yes from me pushing them it has eliminated my VTs but not my PVCs looking to ablate again. Push your doctors remember they make money on your visits curing you is not good business for them...Good Luck
Ive been reading the posts on here as Im having a morning of it....you know the one where you just feel helpless, alone and just want to shut the world out. So, first thing is to come on these forums and read what others are going through.  It helps...alot.  Few other things that help me....  find a local heart support group (Im in uk) Mostly all regions have one, ask your local hospital or doctors surgery.  Next one is the same as Justin FLD...Bananas! Yup, those long yellow fruits make a huge difference to the amount of PVC's PACS etc that I get. Also, if I start getting a bad run I drink something fizzy preferably spring water and preferably cold. The fizz helps alot and most likely that the hydration helps.  On that note make sure you keep hydrated with water.  Not drinking water means I get more PVC's.  No caffeine and drink some camomile tea.  If they are bothersome at night, try going off to sleep sitting up a bit more and avoid CHEESE.  Cant remember why but when I stopped eating so much of it it did make a difference and apparently (so my cardio says) is a trigger for alot of people for eptopics and svt. Sleep, I know its an obvious one but does make a difference, o and sleep on your right hand side not your heart side. You're less likely to hear/feel the retched things through your ears in the pillow! I take flecanide as a pill in the pocket solution so I take 50/100mg when I need to.  Seems to help but they make me really hungry for some reason!

Hormones if you're a girl then expect to get more around your time of the month. I have found that if iron levels drop during this time it make it worse.  I cant stomach the iron tablets, so I eat a few dried apricots every day.

Ive said for years that the association with PVC's and the vagnus nerve is one that shouldnt be ignored.  The medical profession still dont seem to have grasped this concept in any big way but lots of PVC suffers support the theory. I am one of them! Always get some extra beats before a bowel movement (often my heart lets me know before my bowel which is handy!) and if Im hungry with an empty stomach of if I eat to quickly, too much.

Hope this post helps you reading it. I would say you will have the odd bad day when it all gets a bit much and you cant cope with the anxiety of wondering if you will wake up in the morning or your child will find you keeled over somewhere.  Its terrifying I know so accept that bad day and cherish the many more good ones that always follow xxx
Thank you for this news.  It's good to know a few things to try.
I had reduced caffeine and alcohol but neither seemed to make much difference.
I added electrolytes with trace minerals and that didn't help either.

Will try "cutting the cheese" :-0 and adding bananas.  After 3 months of hellish pvc's, they are finally abating.  Still awaiting word on an echocardiogram, but yes, it is totally crazymaking to have doctors call these normal - yet I had never heard of them before I got them!

I definitely feel the same way. It's crazy what you miss out on when all you do is spend time worrying.  And every time I have an "extra" heartbeat, I'm convinced it's going to be the last.  Even with a cardiologist, several ER/Urgent Care visits and many many tests later ALL saying i have NOTHING to worry about, I'm never satisfied.  I just got my 48 hour holter monitor results back yesterday (10/23/13), and there were 5 pvc's and 1 pac.  Cardiologist told me that based on the holter monitor, stress test and echo, my heart is perfectly fine and I don't need to come back.  Doesn't make it any easier to accept though =(
I have a daughter in law who is age 54...three yrs ago heart went out of
rhythm bad. In hospital found out three reasons for it....high blood pressure,
asthma and sleep apnea. She was very heavy weight about 250 lbs and the paddles did not work thro the fat. Could not get her heart back into normal rhythm. Gave her pills and she's fine now. She said her heart is STILL out of rhythm, but becuz of the drugs does not feel it. She works a regular job,
has a few beers every nite, and doesn't worry. At least SHE can't FEEL them
even tho her heart is still irregular. She had A fib they said. Is under control with 3 meds. Does not feel out of rhythm beats anymore even tho she still gets them.
I feel the exact same way you do....TERRIFIED....How are you doing now???
It's Great that you two met on here, you can start your own support group, even if it's online.  ;-)    I have the pvc's too, but still going through tests.  hang in there guys, try to not be obsessed by it!
I have been experiencing PVC's & PAT's for more than 42 years. At first, I pretty much ignored them, but as the years passed, they became more frequent and more disturbing. The PAT's are rare, but nevertheless just as frightening as the PVC's. The doctors have assured me, over the years, that they are harmless, innocuous, and certainly not life threatening as long as I do not have heart disease or any other heart related issues. They must be right, since I'm still here to write this comment. It reached the point, in recent years, where I developed a fear of traveling or engaging in any other activity where I'd be alone or away from close proximity for help, such as a hospital, or any location without an automatic electronic defibrillator.
I went to a therapist for Cognitive Therapy, where you slowly expose yourself to the frightening situations, and as you become more reassured you can do them, you progress further, until your fear is almost completely gone. The therapy is short, maybe a month or two, once or twice a week, but it works.
I am now experiencing 50 to 100 PVS's / day and am falling back into fear mode again. I've found taking 2.5 - 5 mg of Valium reduces my anxiety, and the PVC's are drastically reduced, which convinces me that there is an anxiety or stress component involved in inducing them.
I've also found that reading all these posts of others experiencing the same thing to be extremely helpful in reducing my anxiety about them and hence reduces their frequency.
I am 76 years old and hope my post helps others to cope with these annoying and frightening PVC's and PAT's.
I have been reading what everyone is writing. I THOUGHT that I was the only person in the entire world that was insane for being too concerned for the PVC's. NONE OF YOU ARE CRAZY, NOT ONE!!! The doctors are not lying to us and we are all very, very normal. The more I read the more I know that this is all about anxiety too. I so wish that I knew where each one of you lived and that we could all meet together and form a tight support group. Can I tell you what has been best for me? My pastor's counseling, my Bible reading (Psalm 91 especially!!) exercise, right eating, relaxation breathing, prayer, and a whole lot of talking it out (and probably not with your husband, but a good friend who has a strong ear and words of encouragement.) Please know that God is faithful and is willing to command his angels to guard you in all your ways. He has given you these children as a blessing and the last thing He will allow to happen is allow you to drop them. Go into your fears by saying out loud, "I can do this, please help me." I do not want to sound crazy or like a religious freak but I know that the enemy wants to disable you and take you down with worry. I experience too. What better way for the enemy to win than to disable a person with worry and anxiety. I have 6 children, all mine, bore by me. I have 1 husband and all belong to us. I have responsibilities that overwhelm me and sometimes my anxiety overtakes me and I fear that I may not have another breath. BUT ultimately I realize that God has his hand over my heart and knows me. I often ask Him to take the PVC'S away. I ask Him to hold my heart in His hands. All of this is not fun and I do not understand any of it. I am 44 yrs. old and too struggle with heart PVC's. I am scared, I have anxiety, bouts of panic, thoughts that I will not live.I wish I could meet with you all.
I agree I also do a lot of praying. I have two little grandsons I take care of daily. A little 17month old granddaughter in La. That I want very much to watch grow up. I also have a 17 year old granddaughter . I'm 53 also loving the new things I've been learning & seeing in my life right now. I home school the boys & I love it I have actually been learning things my self. It wasn't very exciting in school didn't really think things were interesting older it is very much so. I'm enjoying being here for them & seeing their little faces glow with excitement as they learn every day. I pray my heart will go back to normal rhythm & stays strong enough for me to be at their weddings. I want to live a long life. I pray I can shake this fear of dying.
Linda
Amen to the spouse & family being or showing concern. I know what you mean.they do not understand how this changes you at all!!!
Linda
Hi there,

I have had palpitations for a few years but they have only become bothersome in the last few months. For the last three months I have been waiting for a letter to go and see a cardiologist and my life has fallen apart in these three months. I barely made it through my last term at college and haven't felt genuinely happy since January because I am so scared. It's nice to read of other people's experiences even though I wish none of us had these problems.

Both of my parents have palpitations and have checked out fine with their hearts. I have a history of anxiety disorder so my GP says that is what is causing these - I wasn't taken seriously at all which makes me feel very alone. I know I am very stressed at the moment but just having my heart checked would help so much but doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon - I keep getting bunked down the waiting list.
I feel you..I feel the same way too and it makes me stressed out every once in a while.
Mine have been extremely helped by chamomile and taking measures to aid my adrenals.  I would suggest doing what I have done, and consult a good Chiropractor or Naturopath who works with Standard Process products.  Adrenal supplementation and nutritional support made all the difference for me.  As well getting off all Caffeine.