Heart Disease Expert Forum
How much can anemia affect the heart rate?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Dear Sirs:
  I have been recently diagnosed with inapproriate sinus tachycardia.
  I am 35 years old, weigh 110 at 5'3". After several tests it was found that
  my blood count was 30, the Dr. said he would like it to be 40, thyroid tests
  are all normal, and we tried a 24 hour urine adrenaline test, which came in                                                            
  normal.Does anemia cause IST? How much does it affect the heart rate? I have
  good muscle tone and was very active in
  sports when I was young, but remember not having any endurance in long distances
  or aerobics. I can run 235 in just a few minutes on a aerobisizer. Could
  this be cured just by taking iron? I'm taking 60 mg. a day. How long would
  it be before I see a possible decrease in my heart rate? Resting is 85
  walking 120's, mopping 160's, and believe me, I don't jog or do aerobics
  anymore.Thank you for your reply. I'm a mother of 5 and would love to go
  rollerblading.Sincerely, Dianna .

_

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Dianna
Anemia can often cause a tachycardia; this is the body's way of dealing with the low blood count. As the anemia improves, so will any associated tachycardia.
However, it is unclear to me why you have such low blood counts in the first place. You ought to ask your doctors what the cause of the anemia is. If they cannot figure it out, you should see a hematologist, a doctor who specializes in blood disorders. This is a very low blood count - there must be a reason. Just treating with iron, without knowing the underlying cause of the anemia, would not be my approach.
I hope this has been useful. I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to write back.
Information provided here is for general purposes only. Specific questions should be addressed to your own doctor. If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

Do I have a right to be concerned and to change my Doctor.
I've been going to my doctor for about 14 months
with heavy period complaints, he has been prescribing some tranexmic? Acid but he
knows I do high performance sports, But just this September
I've been stuggling to compete for longer than 15 minutes as appose to an hour I had been back berfore expressing pains
In my chest and did nothing. I joined a gym telling myself I'm not fit but this breathlessnesss was getting no bettter.
So November I went back described my sympthoms again he gave me a blood test, results came back  my count is a 7 should be 12.
I am concern because even when it was discovered I had fybroidds he|ever suggested a blood test.
Had I not know my body I wouldn't have gone back.  Should I change my doctor this I think is neglegent, that heavy blood
loss is linked to aneamia and can linked to particular people
Sportswomen being one. I think he should picked this up from the start,
14 months he's been seeing me, I even went to him saying I developed this graving for oranges upto 6 jaffa oraanges a day! He said nothing.
Now I realise my body was craving the juice. So am I right to be concerned that he missed the signs.