Heart Disease Community
How much potassium per 80 mg dose of Lasix?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

This is like a guessing game for me, and I can't run and have my potassium checked, well all of the time. I told the nurse over the phone that prescribed Lasix for me, that I had heard that you take 20 meq of K per 40 mgs of Lasix....This appeared on the Lasix bottle directions. I don't have much faith in it.

The problem is that too much K (hyperkalemia) has almost the the same symptoms as not enough K (hypokalemia). I am starting to have some palps that I think is due to my K (pot) level.

I have searched the net and cannot find the answer. I would be ever so grateful if someone could advise me as to how to take my medicine. Thans very much for reading :)

Jack
I take 20meqs of KCL for each 40mg.  My kidneys are functioning fine.  People with impaired renal clearance would need less.  When serum K levels rise, the heart rhythms is generally more of a broad, blocked QRS, because the conduction is slowed.....the brady arrhythmias are common.  When my K is low, I have much more VT and SVT, and PVCs..........I think.  Muscle cramps are my first symptom.  I do eat a lot of oranges, bananas, etc, and I use a salt substitute, which is pure KCL  You body will adjust any excess K to a certain extent.   I think you are wise to take the K as directed. Hope this helps.
I am lucky to have my serum K checked once a year.  Dr Nobrainer says, "Why bother?  It's always normal."
Thanks so much for this information. I have printed it out.....Was it copyrighted? Please send me a bill. I will pay you on Tuesday :)

I do hope that the pool is just right today for Ya. Myself, I will be working outside in 103 degrees. I did it yesterday but mostly stayed in the shade....

I have become a herb & supplement freak (I got into them about a year ago). I stopped all supplements except for CoQ-10 and fish oil after my stent was placed on 6/25/07. I was too afraid of clogging it up with my exotic concoctions.

I started taking them big time again about 6 days ago. I have much more energy and I feel much better. I can make it through a day without a nap. I have been getting up by 6 and hitting the hay at 10.

At this point, I find it hard to see myself having the MID-CAB surgery around September the 20th. If this old, or existing blockage is not large enough, and this new stent has not restenosed, they will have to look at the diseased state of my Lad to determine if I need it bypassed.. I have read cath reports saying that it is extensively diseased and atherosclerotic.

I am still very much a cardiac cripple, and whine with the best. I am no where close to being normal, whatever that is for my age. This is so boring, but it is just what's up with me :)

My best to you :)

Jack
could eat no fat............for a cripple you certainly sound like you are getting some hard work done.  Glad to hear you are keeping better hours......it is very sexy to go to bed at 10, and the mornings are too beautiful to waste.  So what are you saying?  you are not going through with it next month?  Or you want another evaluation? ( I wish I could go in the pool.....I have too much work to do..........later, maybe......... )  Have a nice day,
Pamela
Well good morning :)

Darling Hiney, I just barely have my head above the water, so yes I am going to have the evaluation. Remember the Lad has to pass some amount of blood or the boogie man will get you. I have 4 stents, just over 3" long and attached. The odds of restenosis are high since one already has plugged up :) . My cardiologist has said that my Lad cannot stand any more stenting. The next time that I have an attack of angina for 2 or more days, it will be the Lad, and this local hospital will do the traditional bypass surgery, due to being an emergency.

I live in the Hundred Acre Forest with Christopher Robbins, my grandson that I call Bubba. We are so far away from medical help, it is scary.

So all of my appointments/catheterization are/is scheduled for sure with the CC. I think that I will start eating lard and cheese omelets so my Lad will go ahead and be approved to be bypassed. Timing is everything they say.

I just remembered that I need to call the CC guest house for a room....No need to rent a car or ride in a taxi. I already have my air tickets.

Have yourself a marvelous day and chk em :)

Rasputin
But what about your collaterals?  I had a patient who had all major arteries 100% blocked, and didn't need anything due to good collaterals.   Maybe I should go get checked too..........wouldn't that be a hoot?
Earth Angel
I have had some collaterals noted in one location, and a point was made that there were none in another location, on two different cath reports. I have read that they do save lives, but couldn't imagine wild parties and swinging from the chandeliers with all coronary arteries blocked, but good collaterals :)

Buster the Boston Terrier passed on tonight. He had fully recovered from the bone incident. Two x-rays showed no problems. Called the Vet and he thinks it was a snake bite.

We are having the worst drought in recorded history for Bammyland, in our county. We have some very large copperheads and timber rattlers around. They are coming out of hiding for water. Yikes! Pa has an old shotgun.

I have to round Buster up and place him in a plastic, no 2 plastic bags and keep him in the shop overnight to keep the varmints away from him. When Sebastian gets in from school tomorrow, we will go bury him on the backside pet cemetary....In 100+ degree weather and rocky soil. I have to make a cross tomorrow.....Wouldn't it be hell to die from an mi while digging a hole to bury a dog?

Forrest Gump