Husband has deviated septum, needs surgery, but ekg came back abnormal
My husband needs surgery for deviated septum, I went with him for pre op.  He had the surgery scheduled, but, they called and said his ekg came back abnormal.  They want him to see his heart doctor before they go any further.  He had a heart attack about 7 years ago.  But, has had no problems with his heart since, stress was the main reason of his problem at that time.  They said in comparing his ekg from then and now it was different.  I am very anxious and need answer. They can't get him in to the heart Dr. before his surgery was scheduled, He also has sleep problems, trouble breathing and I know he also has sleep acmia (not sure of the spelling).  What will the Dr. do to help him?  Will he be able to have the surgery I am very disturbed.  Please give me some over view of the problem if you can.
Thanks, Nancy

This discussion is related to Paroxysmal Afib and Surgery For Deviated Septum.
Below is the basic rule of thumb when looking at changes in an EKG prior to any surgical procedure;

The EKG can be up to 1 year old if the patient remains functional with no new cardio-vascular problem known or reported over the preceding year. Otherwise, EKG must be done after last cardiovascular event.

- If EKG is “abnormal”, but UNCHANGED from previous “abnormal” EKG done several months/years ago, evaluated by cardiologist/PCP at that time and patient remains functional with no new cardiovascular problem known or reported, NO further evaluation is required .
- If EKG is “abnormal”, or “abnormal”, but CHANGED from previous “abnormal” EKG done several months/years ago – Cardiology/PCP evaluation is required regardless of patient functional status.
- If all cardiovascular studies are “abnormal” and patient has limited functional status, outpatient surgery may be inappropriate and decision to proceed must involve consultation with an Anesthesiologist

Obviously, a change in your husband's EKG means either the most recent EKG was wrong or there has been a change in the health of your husband's heart. It is important that the exact condition of your husband's heart is know before they subject him to anesthesia and the stress of surgery. It is extremely important that he is evaluated by a cardiologist before he has any surgical procedures. Most surgeons will not perform surgery without this clearance. I just went through this over the last two weeks as I had reconstructive surgery on my knee, they checked me every way possible, it is just that important.

Good luck!

Jon