Heart Disease Community
Hypokinetic Cardiomyopathy

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Hypokinetic Cardiomyopathy

Is this possible: My wife took an Echo Stress test. The report said, severe Hypokinesis of the lower left ventricle. The cardiologist said, we should do an Angiogram. I said, there is no E.F. ratio given in the report, let's do a Nuclear Stress Test first before we do the Angiogram. Even though both cardiologists were of the opinion that the two test are essentially equivalent, that's what we did in the end. The ECG during this test said: incomplete RBBB and the rest came back: normal heart function with an E.F. > 70%?  So, the question is, can the E.F. ratio still be >70% when there is "severe hypokinesis"?
I don't see how the cardiologists believe a nuclear scan is essentially the same as an angiogram, they are not. Anyway, I believe the answer to your question is yes. I would think it depends on how much of the heart is affected and hypokinetic. If just the lower portion is affected, wouldn't the rest of the heart compensate quite well? All through my history of MI, triple bypass and 10 stents, my EF has never fallen below 70%. Even though the EF was 70% I was still getting some pretty nasty Angina.