Heart Disease Expert Forum
Hypotension and low blood pressure
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Hypotension and low blood pressure

I have been suffering from symptoms similar to that of Mono, however, I havve been tested and that is not the case.I am constantly tires, sleeping sometimes 15-16 hours a day. I have very low blood pressure, and often suffer from fainting spells. If I stand for even a short time I tend to see spots and then I will often faint. I am wondering if there is anything that can be done to increase my blood pressure, and if there is a possibility that the tests for mono could have been incorrect in showing that I did not have the disease. I have heard of cases where this has happened.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Nikki
This does not sound like mono. What you have sounds like orthostatic hypotension, a fancy way of saying your blood pressure drops when you stand up. There are a couple of medicines for this condition that will help your blood pressure. A low blood pressure could explain the spots and the fainting. It would not really explain the excessive sleeping and chronic fatigue (although a subset of chronic fatigue syndrome patients have been found to have orthostatic hypotension).You should make an appointment with your doctor and be formally evaluated.
I hope this has been useful. Feel free to write back with further questions. Good luck.
Information provided here is of a general nature.  Specific diagnoses and treatments can only be made by your doctor.  If you would like to be seen at the Cleveland Clinic, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE for an appointment with a cardiologist at Desk F15.