Heart Disease Expert Forum
I can see my pulse through my vision

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I can see my pulse through my vision

I am 35 yrs old and I have a osteoma bone lesion above my left eye, but it has been known for 8 years and has never changed.  I also have a history of PVC's, but I've had a dramatic improvement since I started working out.   I am sitll 100 pounds over weight, but I eat EXTREMELY healthy and workout 5-6 hours per week.  I have been steadily losing about 2 pounds/week.   But there is one thing that has been bothering me.  Here lately, I have noticed quite often, that I see this "shadow flash" over my entire field of vision in both eyes that is consistent with my pulse.   It is often more noticeable when I first stand up or at times when my heart is beating harder...but it doesn't really get worse during cardio,  maybe after a heavy weight set though.    If I sit around and deeply relax, it nearly goes away,  or does go away.   I'll notice it more on a white bright background, in fact I first noticed it in my bathroom which is painted white.  For example, I can see it against my computer screen right now, because Medhelp has a white background...but I don't always notice it using the computer.  Can you tell me if this sounds concerning?  I thought you might know since it's something consistent with my heartbeat
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi  righton1010,

Congratulations on your exercise and weight loss. 100 pounds of weight loss is an amazing achievement and your heart will thank you for reducing its work load.

PVC’s are often experienced as throbbing because they result in a forceful heart beat. It’s different for everyone but this would be the first case of eye throbbing I have heard of.
The best person to answer your question is an optometrist and/or ophthalmologist. Some of the symptoms you are describing are consistent with ‘floaters’ and ‘flashers’, both of which should be reviewed by an eye specialist as they can signal a change in “eye health”. Associated symptoms that would suggest the need for more urgent follow up (i.e. within the next  24 hours) include blurred or reduced vision, increasing pain in the affected eye, headache, nausea, vomiting, and any stroke like symptoms such as transient weakness, numbness, change in speech or thinking patterns.

Let’s hope your eyes are fine, in which case you will still probably be wondering about your premature ventricular contractions (PVC’s). These are very common and the fact that they improve with exercise is a good sign. The danger signs I look out for with PVC’s are as follows:  prior heart damage (ie due to heart attack) and/or reduced heart function on echo, evidence of an enlarged heart (ECG/CXR/Echo), family history of cardiac arrest, personal history of collapse or near-collapse in association with PVC’s, & any history of rapid heart rate with chest discomfort / shortness of breath / sweating (not explained by exercise or heavy exertion). If patients answer “No” to each of these questions then they are generally at low risk of major problems from their PVC’s or arrhythmia. For patients with PVC’s I recommend an ECG and Echocardiogram, along with screening blood work that includes a complete blood count, electrolytes, kidney & thyroid function. Occasionally a stress ECG can be useful to document the appearance or disappearance of PVC’s with exercise.

Congratulations again and keep up the good work.