Heart Disease Community
I can't run like I used to/slight chest pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

I'm a little scared/freaked out, but I hope it's over nothing.  First off, I will say that I am 29 years old and I do have serious heart problems on my mother's side, so I'm always aware of my own heart issues.  I am not overweight:  I'm 6'3'' and 205 pounds -- most people would say I look skinny.  I am afraid I may have a developing heart issue, so I wanted to ask everyone's opinion.  A few months ago, I started feeling some slight discomfort in my chest during stressful times at work (I work a high intensity, deadline-driven job = much stress).  It came after I had been neglecting my workout regiment for several weeks.  A little freaked out, I vowed to start running every day.  For the last 5 months or so I have been running 4 days a week.  But I have noticed that I really cannot run like I used to.    I can run about a mile and a half, but I always get exhausted at that point.  I get pretty tired early on, but I can force it for about 1.5 miles -- that's it.  

I've been at this for 5 months now and I cannot for the life of me extend my distance.  I always tap out at 1.5 miles.  The good news is, since I have been running, the periodic discomfort in my chest has disappeared.  But I fear that if I get lazy with my running it will come back.  

My question is, am I just getting older or is this an early warning sign of heart disease?  Sorry if any of this sounds stupid, but I have genuinely been freaked out over this.

29 isn't exactly over the hill but yes, you may notice some difference from when you were 16. Since there's been a change in your stamina, ability to run longer, it would be good to see your doctor, mention the difference. It may be as simple as a bit of anemia or as serious as a heart problem. But the doctor can pinpoint the problem for you.
thanks for responding.

is that a common symptom for anything heart related -- just noticing that you are limited in your physical exertion?  I want to believe that I am just out of shape, but I literally have been at this -- dedicated running -- for 5 months now.  and i'm seeing no improvement.  and worse, every day i start again it's like i haven't run for a couple weeks (even if i ran the day before).

in my younger days, i'd be a marathoner by now, with this type of dedication.  but now, i'm stuck at a mile and a half, and i can barely make it through that.  this is just very weird.  like i said, i'm hoping this just happens to everyone when they hit 30, but it definitely feels like there's something wrong.  although i have no other pain or any other real symptoms.  my chest pain has gone away for now.
Ireneo gave you some excellent advice, see your doctor.  I would tell you from personal experience, breathlessness and exhaustion after exercise is a sign of of heart problems.  However, it is also a sign of thyroid and diabetes issues, and a whole lot more.  You need to see a doctor in my opinion, and soon.  It may just be stress, but I'd strongly urge you to get these symptoms checked out.  

Keep us informed.  
Flycaster, thanks.  I will.  Appreciate the advice.
And remember, there are men and women doing marathons in their 70's and 80's. Maybe not 5 minute miles but they're still able to run long distances. So turning 30 should not be limiting you so much.