Heart Disease Expert Forum
INFANT HEART MURMUR
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

INFANT HEART MURMUR

Posted by STEVE on May 31, 1999 at 15:15:22
MY 2 MONTH OLD WAS DIAGNOSED WITH A HEART MURMUR BY OUR PEDIATRICIAN.  WE HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A PEDIATRIC CARDIOLOGIST AT THE END OF JUNE.  WHY DIDN'T ANYONE NOTICE THE MURMUR AT BIRTH OR AT HER ONE MONTH APPOINTMENT?   IS WAITING 1 MONTH TO SEE THE CARDIOLOGIST DANGEROUS?  WE ARE FLYING ON AN AIRPLANE BEFORE THE APPOINTMENT AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THIS IS DANGEROUS AS WELL.  THANK YOU

Posted by Heidi on June 04, 1999 at 20:31:08
When I was two I was diagnosed with an innocent heart murmer.  At the age of four when I stopped gaining weigh and became short of breath often I was taken to see a pediatric cardiologist.  I was told that I had developed a hole in my heart the size ofd a dime.  We found out in September and they wanted to due surgery by December.  I only weighed 32 pounds.  They wanted my to get to at least 40, but I couldn't.  I had the surgery the January after.  enerything went well.  Now 14 years later I have developed a mitral valvue regurge, and arythmmia.  I live a normal life and I go see my cardiologist only once a year.  So an infant heart murmur does'nt have to be as scary as it sounds.  I know heart surgery sounds awful but it really isnt.  Be glad they detected it early!!

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - DLB on June 06, 1999 at 12:40:53
Dear Steve
The majority of heart murmurs pediatric cardiologists see are innocent murmurs. However, the evaluation is important because there can be serious causes of heart murmurs - fortunately most can be corrected.
I hope this has been useful. Feel free to write back with further questions. Good luck.
Information provided here is of a general nature.  Specific diagnoses and treatments can only be made by your doctor.  If you would like to be seen at the Cleveland Clinic, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE for an appointment with a cardiologist at Desk F15.