Heart Disease Expert Forum
IPV Dye

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

IPV Dye

My dad had a quad by-pass almost 6 years ago.  He has been in the hospital as of late about every other week with severe angina.  The dye he has had in the past for CT scans he is very allergic to.  The last time almost killed him.  His family Dr does not recommend the 2 day treatment of a steroid and Benadryl that allows patients to take the contrast. Followed by 2 days of the same.  He went into the hospital again this morning at 1:30am by ambulance and they put on the Nitro paste patch, which seemed to help some.  The Cardiologist who has been seeing my dad everytime he goes into the hospital says he needs to have a heart cath done (he also knows the history).  My dad is 76 years old.  My fears are the dye, is there anyway around this, another method?  He has had an Echo Stress test which did show a blockage but not what degree.  They are planning to do the heart cath tomorrow which isn't even a full 2 days prep time.  Thank you, in advance.
It sounds like he needs to have another heart catheterization to make sure one of his bypass grafts is not occluded now and the reason for his severe angina.  There is no other test other than a heart catheterization to figure this out and stress tests are only right 80% of the time!  We have to use dye so that we can see the blood vessels and obstructions during the heart catheterization.  There are ways to get around a 2-day prep by giving IV hydrocortisone the night before and the morning of a heart catheterization (this is an IV form of prednisone which is stronger) and we given IV Benadryl also.  This is more than adequate.  There are many patients who will sometimes forget to take oral prednisone and oral benadryl the night before and this is the what we do.  He should do fine as long as he is prepped with these medications.  Unfortunately there is no other test other than a heart cath to evaluate a blockage.

Hope this helps.  Good Luck.