Heart Disease Community
IS THE HEART AND DIGESTION LINKED

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

IS THE HEART AND DIGESTION LINKED

MY PALPITATIONS ARE NEARLY ALWAYS AFTER MEALS. IS THE STOMACHE LINKED TO THE HEART AS FOR INSTANCE NERVS ECT
Yes, there seems to be a connection. Many involuntary functions of the body (beating of the heart, digestion, etc.) are controlled by the autonomic nervous system.  In particular the heart rate and digestion are connected through the vagas nerve......... after you eat, your heart rate speeds up. One of the causes (& there are many) of PVCs is a disautomia or misfunctioning of the autonomic nervous system. In such cases, certain foods or indigestion may trigger PVCs.  Do you have indigestion (acid reflux/gerd/hiatal hernia)? There seems to be a connection between acid reflux and PVCs. Here's a link to previous discussion on medhelp between those suffering with both gerd (acid reflux) and PVCs.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/gastro/messages/30089.html

BTW, some people find that taking a proton inhibitor for acid reflux greatly relieves the PVCs.
Avatar n tn
I am not a doctor , but my mom, brother and I have suffered from palpitations for a long time. we have all finally made the connection with our palpitations and a perservitive that is in just about everything called MSG. Our doctor confirmed the problem and now we all avoid this perservitive.  i was diagnosed with severe migranes (migraines) when i was about 14 and then they told me to stay away from MSG. you have to constantly read lables to check for it . it is in just about anything packaged. chips, etc. MSG stands for monosodium glutamate. this could very well not be your problem but i wanted to share with you what turned out to be my problem. i do have a digestion problem, but i started noticing a few years back that every time i ate my heart would start pounding and beating fast then i would have skipped beats. i had a dopler and stress done, at the time i was 27 or 28 and they came back fine . my doctor sent me home with this device that i would put to my chest and record episodes when i had them and they all came back innocent. my brother kept telling me "it's MSG" finally i listened to him and started watching lablels and that is what it was! thankfully i figured it out....it is a pain in the butt becuse going out to eat you have to ask ......but there are a lot of msg free things now and chilli's and t.g.i.f( fridays) do not "cook" with these seasonings ,but they are almost always in "pre made" foods........start reading labels............hope this helps