Heart Disease Expert Forum
Implantable cardioverter defibrillator and mammography

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I have an ICD.  It was placed last week. It seems that the box would get in the way of a routine mammography.  What do you advise?  Thank you.  I love this board.
Usually the need for ICD outweighs the concerns of future mammograms however for the most part they are able to "work around" the device and get the pictures they need.
Hi Sandi,

I have an epicardial (Leads outside the heart) pacemaker with 2 leads going from my heart up to my right shoulder, also, 2 more leads going from the right, across my chest, over to my left side where my pacemaker is.  That makes 1 pacemaker and 4 leads.  My pacer doc places pacers low down in women for cosmetic reasons. I just had a mammogram done, I get 1 each year, and breast ultrasounds each 6 months.  I have also had breast biposies done 3 times in the past 2 years. I have only had my pacer, or I should say this one since April.  But I have had 2 others in the past 2 years too and never had any trouble with mammograms.  You can tell them, if they don't know about the ICD, and they will be careful.  Please do not pass up a mammogram !  :-)
Thanks for the comments Deb.  Does anyone have a negative experience with a device and mammograms?
My cardiologist told me to tell the mammogram tech that they were not to worry about getting the entire outer part of the breast, as one of her patient's ICD was turned sideways by the technician trying to get the "whole picture".  I had only had my ICD a few months, and I expressly told the tech she was not allowed to touch my ICD.  I had no trouble.

I do know of a patient whose ICD was turned, during the mammogram.  This was from a tech that needed perfection.  The doctor was not to happy. I also know of patients that have had their device and pacer leads twisted from the mammograms too.  But, as you doctors well know, this is rare.  We just need to inform the techs of any concerns or pain.  Have a great day, and thanks for all your wonderful care and help !!
Thanks for your comments.  Usually if a small portion of the breast tissue is not seen it is not a problem.
A related discussion, implantable cardioverter defibrillator was started.