Heart Disease Community
In search of more info...

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

In search of more info...

Recently I was diagnosed with an Atrial Septum Defect (ASD) and the doctor also noted that I have PFO with predominate left to right shunting. I went to see an ASD specialist at UCLA and he and his partner both felt that I don't need to close the hole because it is so small. I respect their opinions and at the same time I'm feeling really nervous that the hole will get bigger or that I could have a stroke and/or heart failure someday.

I'm curious what causes the hole to get bigger? Is it likely that my hole will get bigger at 36 yrs. old? How likely am I to have a stroke or heart failure someday? My doctor suggested that I take a baby aspirin, 81 mg. daily as prevention. Do you agree with this and if so what brand to you recommend?

I should also note that I suffer from really bad migraines during my period. My doctor told me that the headaches could be associated with the ASD. Several patients have had the hole closed and they no longer have migraines. He also did mention that there isn't enough evidence to support this theory yet. For now, I'm taking 1 ounce of mangosteen for my migraines. The mangosteen has changed my life and I don't get the horrible headaches and vomit anymore. The only downfall is if I miss too many doses I will get the migraines. I would love to get rid of the headaches.

I’m grateful that this community is available for support. I would love to hear from anyone that can offer any insight.

Thank you,
Linda

Tags: ASD, Migraines