Heart Disease Expert Forum
Incisional Pain Years after a CABG

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Incisional Pain Years after a CABG
My grandfather had a CABG many years ago and still compains of incisional pain.  His scar is raised and therfore rubs against clothing and bothers him. This does not seem right to me and I would like some input on why this may be.  Thank you in advance for you time and information.
I'm not sure either.  Maybe he is just more aware of it and it is thus bothering him.
It sounds to me that your grandfather has a keloid scar which is a raised scar.  I had one year's ago after a hysterectomy.  It raised up within a few months after surgery, but I believe it can happen up to a year.  The scar is much wider than normal and itches like crazy, plus it's painful.  I returned to the surgeon convincing myself they would have to cut it out, but he fixed it right there in the office.  He injected the entire scar with a mixture of cortisone and novacaine.  It was not a pleasant experience but the good thing is that it worked.  The scar now looks normal, although a little wider than most.  Maybe he should have that checked out.
Yes, I would agree that it is a keloid scar and my grandfather has in fact had corticosteriod injections in the past that were unsuccessful.  I have just read that laser therapy and pharmacologic agents have also been tried.  Anyone who has heard or had previous with these treatments please respond, I would like to hear from you.
Thanks for your input Denise.
Another option for keloid pain is an over the counter topical cream called Zostrix.
Denise .. and others in this group..

I had shoulder surgery 3 yrs ago and it left a keloid scar.. it also is sensitive.. and hurts if I rub it but it has never really been a big enough deal to do anything with it.. I went back to the doctor and asked for his opinion.. He said that he sees that mostly in young people as their cells regenerate faster and don't always stop in time... He acted like it was a sign of my bodys healing process being good..(maybe too good ) anyway.. I was interested to see that it can be dealt with if it bothers people.. anybody else heard this concept or even agree with it?

Ted
A related discussion, flower was started.