Incisional pain after surgery

I have had triple bypass surgery on the 24th of July 2006. This surgery was performed  in Chennai, India at Apollo Hospitals by Dr. M.R. Girinath (M.S., M.Ch., F.R.A.C.S.). I have recovered well after the surgery, i'm eating well, and I can do my work well also, except for the fact that I still have a pain in the incision (scar). This pain is mild, and I get it everytime I stand up straight, or while lying down or any other movement. The pain is as if the incision is being stretched during movement. I also get an irritation when my clothes touch the incision (as a result, I always hold up my shirt when I'm sitting and also when travelling). The incision is very visible. What I want to find out is, is it normal to have the incisional pain for such a long time? Has my incision healed properly? It has been one and a half years since the surgery, and I am quite worried regarding this pain in the incision. Therefore, please let me know as to what I should do? and if I should take any medication for this? Your urgent attention to this, and an early feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Also, I need to point out that I am a diabetic patient. My sugar and cholesterol levels are under control, and I am taking my medication without fail. Will my diabetic condition have an influence on the healing process? Does this have an affect on the incisional pain?

Your earliest feedback will be greatly appreciated. It will give me peace of mind once and for all.

Thanks,
Yours Truly,
Abdul Hameed Jalaludeen
It's noty uncommon to have pain where the incision is.  It could be cause from nerves below the incision if there isn't any redness or pain at touch.  This can be corrected by a physician through meds or injections.  
Hi.  I don't think I'll be much help, but I have to tell you I've been having the same problem.  I had a quad bypass 13 weeks ago, and my incision is still giving me fits.  I can't bear anything on it.  I hold my shirts out, as you do,  if fabric touches it.  My surgeon said he'd never heard of such a thing in 30 years.  Discouraging!  My primary care physician said she thinks it is nerve damage, and she prescribed a medication.  It might be helping a tiny bit.  She also recommended seeing a dermatologist, a scar specialist, which I'm doing next week.  It is very hard to get an appointment with a dermatologist!  The constant pain is pulling me down, but knowing that at least some other people are having this problem is somehow reassuring.  Please post if you find any relief!