Increase in resting heart rate
hello there. I was just wondering if anyone knew what could cause my resingt heart rate to go up fromabout 60 to 80- 90 bpm over the course of the last year. I am a 27 yr old runner who in the last 4 to 5 months has seen my performance greatly reduced due to shortness of breath. At the dr's last week my rest heart rate was 140 and I was experiencing quite a lot of palpitations (which is quite normal for me). What would cause my heart rate to increase like that? I thought runners were suppose to have lower heart rates! Thanks everyone..
Hey, I feel your pain. I'm having some odd tachycardia and arrhythmia issues too.  Are you taking any medications? If so, that could be the cause.  That's my issue right now.  Whenever I take any medications it increases my heart rate, and of course no one can figure out why. Also, my dad's an avid runner, and when he really started to run a lot he for some reason got this constant tachycardia; when he decreased his running, his heart rate went back to normal. No one could ever explain to him why this was.  I'm sure your doctor has ordered all the necessary tests, but I would plan on going to a cardiologist and doing a 24 hr heart monitor and an echocardiogram, just to make sure your heart is healthy.  And maybe try decreasing the running and see what happens (which I know is gonna suck for you, but that worked for my dad).  If things don't improve they can always put you on beta blockers.  I think the human body is something we still know very little about, and it can act really weird sometimes. Doctors still haven't been able to figure out my issues.  I hope everything works out for you :)