Heart Disease Expert Forum
Increased fatigue / Chest Discomfort
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Increased fatigue / Chest Discomfort

I am a black female in my 50s.  I have been working out aerobically and with weights for over a decade at the rate of 2 - 3 hours a day for at least 5 - 6 days a week.  I was in very physical shape and sometimes told I was a little too thin.  

However, the last year and half, I started to experience bloating and a sense of heaviness.  My cardio classes required lots of jumping, squating, etc for which I've never had a problem.

I've always had a very low resting heart rate, as low as 30 bpm, normally 50s.  While working out, I would profusely sweat and once completed have a very good sense of increased energy and giddiness.

Now, my legs appear to have edema and I have experienced abdominal bloat. I struggle to get my breath.  I went to my doctor but nothing was detected other than beginning osteoporosis.

Do you have any ideas.
I am sorry you are going though this. I am not sure what your doctor has done in working up your edema thus far. When thinging of leg edema plus shortness of breath, we often worry about heart function and would, at the very least, do an ultrasound of your heart (echocardiogram) to evaluate the function and pressures in your heart. We also want to make sure that your blood protein levels are ok, liver function is normal, and that you are not loosing protein in your urine (routine urine and blood tests). There are certainly many other things that can be done to look into this though this is generally were I would start if someone had shortness of breath, abdominal bloating, and leg edema. I would recommend discussing your symptoms further with your doctor. I hope this helps.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
CCFHeart MD25Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity