Heart Disease Community
Increased heart rate after eating?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Increased heart rate after eating?

This never happened to me before but lately my heart rate goes from 70 to 84 after eating. this is new to me and the only thing that has changed in my life was alot of stress due to a new family member coming to live in my house. could stress cause this heart rate? because they both happened at about the same time. or could this be coincidence. im 30, not fat just some pot belly. no history of heart disease/family,
yes. stress can raise your heart rate.....but 84 is still a normal pulse.......its over 100 thats not.
As you begin to eat, certain organs of your body start to work. Blood is diverted from the whole body to the stomach and small intestines to aid in digestion and to absorb nutrients. This "work" causes your heart rate to increase. This is why you never take your BP, or heart rate after a meal.

Many people with coronary artery disease have died after eating a large meal. This is caused from the blood being diverted to the stomach and small intestines. It reduces the blood available for the heart. If you have a very large blockage such as 95% in you LAD (Left Anterior Descending coronary artery), and eat a large meal, you can have a heart attack. This is one of the most frequent times that heart attacks occur (after a large meal).

Other statistics show that heart attacks and strokes occur early in the morning, with most occurring on Saturday morning.....or is it Friday morning? I think Saturday.....Most doctors/scientist believe this happens due to the higher viscosity of our blood in the early AM, i.e. our blood is "thicker". This is a known fact. We usually do not consume liquids during the night.

Another contributing factor is the autonomic nervous system being a bit chaotic as we suddenly awake to the sound of an alarm clock, and immediately jumping up to start the day.

It seems to help to lay for a bit and gather your senses before letting your feet hit the floor. Wake up before getting up.

This is why I take all of my heart meds right before I go to sleep. They are at their peak concentrations in the early morning.

Ugh, what was the question now?

Jack
Hey there,

In my opinion you don't have anything to worry about. You may have just recently become aware of the fact your heart rate is increasing after meals due to the fact you have been under some stress recently. Everyones heart rate increases after consuming a meal. After a meal, especially a large one or one full of complex carbohydrates the blood rushes to the stomach. In order to process the food and begin digestion your heart has to beat a little bit faster to increase the blood flow and compensate for the extra work being done. Now me on the other hand I have a condition known as inappropriate sinus tachycardia. After a meal my heart rate sometimes jumps as high as 130 bpm. I have exaggerated responses to stimuli. It's extremely annoying but I began taking some meds to "try" and help things out. Beings your pulse rate is still at a very good rate (believe me I'm jealous) I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Meanwhile try to focus on clearing up the stress. Make sure you are getting enough rest, limit your alcohol consumption, try and get some exercise.

Best of luck to you!
everyones heart rate increases after eating.....  the heart has to digest the food.......84 is very normal.