Heart Disease Expert Forum
Inderal weaning

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Inderal weaning

I have been taking Inderal for  2-3 years.  I have recently become pregnant.  (1-2months)  I take 10mg total a day.  A half a pill in the morning, and a half a pill at night.  This seemed to help all my symptoms with MVPS.  I spoke to my cardiologist and he said he thinks I should not take it anymore.  He told me I should wean myself off of it.  I took 4 half pill a day for four days, then one-half a pill every other day for four days.  I didn't take one yesterday at all and today I took my last half a pill.  Should I get some symptoms?  Will my heart rate speed up?  And how long will it take to get out of my system?  Will I have a heart attack?  I am quite worried.  The cardiologist is the one who told me how to wean.  Also, the  nurse at the gynecologist office said I could continue to take it.  I would think the cardiologist would know better.    Could you please give me your opinion?

Thanks!
Most likely your heart rate will increase a bit, due to the withdrawal of medication and the pregnancy. You may or may not have a return of MVPS symptoms.  I don't know why you would have a heart attack but if you are worried you should call your doctor.  He can also answer any questions about continuing the medication during pregnancy.
Hi Audrey!
I was wondering if you have noticed any rotten side affects with the Inderal?  I'm thinking about start taking it or Atenolol for my tachycardia that I get and extra beats, but I'm kind of leary about starting a new med. especially one that is related to the heart!
Thanks,
Carrie
I have been taking Inderal LA-80 for about 20 years for atrial fibrillation. Because of increased events, my Cardiologist suggested I switch to Betapace.  I have been on it for about 3 weeks.  240 mg/day the first week nearly knocked me out.  I am now taking 120 mg/day.  I still have the same side-effects, although not quite as severe.  (Dizziness, ringing in the ears, shortness of breath, kind of prickling feeling all over my body, extreme fatigue)  I can relieve it somewhat with coffee or taking with food.  Am I allergic?  Should I cut the dosage in half again?  Could the problem be from Inderal withdrawal?
These are not typical side-effects for beta-blockers or for beta-blocker withdrawal. We do always suggest discussing specific medication concerns and reactions with your doctor.
I take inderal LA 60mg once a day for palpitations and tachycardia.  Since being on it I have noticed that I am more fatigued and dream more at night.  My main concern though is weight gain and I feel like I am more forgetful then I use to be.  I have been on it for 2 years and have gained approx. 10 lbs. I do not eat anymore now than I use to and actually I believe that I am eating less.  I have also noticed that I forget things and have a difficult time recalling things at times. I just don't feel like I retain things like I use to.  I know the inderal slows down your heart rate, can it also slow down your metabolism and cognitive function also?  I am 39 years old.  If anyone else has experienced these concerns or has any insight on this I would greatly appreciate it.
A friend of mine who happens to be a musician recommended me to take some Inderal 10 mg about 1 hour before doing what I consider to be an important presentation (speech, demonstration, etc). According to him it would improve dramatically my performance. I tried last week and it really worked. I tried seven days later for another important speech and it worked again. The only side effect I noticed was some kind of distant feeling. I am trying to read everything I can on the Internet about Inderal. I have read many, many things: from people saying is a very safe drug to technical sheets saying I have to be careful in case I have a cardiac condition. So far, I am a healthy man. My question is: is it safe to take this drug just once in a while, whenever I consider it could help my performance and just wait for the next occasion? Is it that safe? Let's say I take 10 mg every two or three weeks: am I running a risk? Please, I apprecciate any comment on this.
My doctor recently prescribed Inderal LA 80mg 1 capsule po qh for my migranes (migraines).  Aside from feeling extremely tired in the mornings, I have also noticed my heart rate has gone way down.  I am also trying to loose weight.  Could the Inderal hinder my success for weight loss, at least until my body gets use to the new medication?
I have been on Half Inderal for about 3 months for Anxiety and I notice that I have problems remembering things and I find I feel kinda spaced out, and slowed down, I'm also a bit more clumsy as well. Anyone else like this ?
I am 14 year old on Inderal LA - 80mg. I am on it for Long QT Syndrome. My dosage is going to go up soon due to high QT intervals. I also have Neurocardiogenic syncope. For that I take Florinef - .1mg twice a day. The symtoms (symptoms) that I noticed while being on just the Inderal were migraines, weight loss, and eating less. Now I seem to be gaining my weight which is horrible for a 155 lb. 14 year old. My doctor describes me as a chubby, large young lady which I do not appreciate very much for I have lost 30 lbs. I am hoping to lose more now that I am on the Florinef. I f anyone would like to talk with me my e-mail address is ashes_339***@****.
Having taken Inderal (Propranolol) for 24 years to counteract hypertension after renal transplant, I have just been weaned off the drug, and have a resonable blood pressure level. However, I am now losing weight ( about 6 pounds in 12 weeks). My diet is no different to before, but I had gradually put on weight over the previous years.

I also found that my memory had been affected - and hope that if this was a side effect it will gradually return to normal as well.
A related discussion, Withdrawal from Inderal LA was started.