Heart Disease Expert Forum
Info needed re pericardial effusion

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Info needed re pericardial effusion
My last echo was good (I have had cardiomyopathy for five years) except for a new finding - small pericardial effusion- .What is this and is it anything to be concerned about. I have no different symptons. Thanks.
Hi JMWB,

In general, a small pericardial effusion is nothing to worry about.  The pericardium is a sac that surrounds the heart.  It normal has a small amount of fluid (about 30-40 cc's) that serves as a lubricant.  We see small effusions in normal hearts often.

I hope this helps.  good luck and thanks for posting.