Heart Disease Expert Forum
Insurance and PVCs....

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Insurance and PVCs....

I understand that PVCs are an aggravation, but are benign and absolutely no reason to get stressed over.  Ever since realizing that this type of arrhythmia was not dangerous and absolutely did NOT shorten life span, I have had a question.  Why do insurance companies routinely deny life insurance for people that have PVCs....  If the decision to insure someone is based on actuary tables, and if there is absolutely no reduction of life expectancy in a person with PVCs, how can they get away with denying insurance, or with providing only rated insurance with a significantly higher premium, solely because a person experiences PVC arrhythmia?  I have been denied insurance a couple of times, based on this diagnosis, and once was sold a whole life policy, but rated with premiums twice as high (got rid of that policy!).  Fortunately, now that I work and am part of a group plan, I was able to get life insurance only because they couldn't deny me since I was part of this group....this life insurance is a negotiated
  benefit....I did try at one point to add a rider for hospitalizations, but was denied that as well due to the previous history.  What is the deal?

Dear Mommydee,
I can not answer your question as this is not only a medical forum for medical
information, but also I know nothing of insurance policies and how they determine
their rates.  Your best bet is to seek a consumer advocate type of group, and
or look it to the law regarding denial of insurance.
hope you find this information useful. Information provided in the heart forum is for general
purposes only. Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel free to
write back with additional questions. Good luck.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call
1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at
www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that
can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.