Heart Disease Expert Forum
Intermittent Chest Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Intermittent Chest Pain

I am a 28 yr old Female. Slightly obese at 5'4 and 195lbs. I gave birth to my first child in August of 2008 and afterwards I developed hypertension. I was put on an ACE inhibitor bp stays around 110/60 now. My cholesterol is slightly elevated at 208 and I am taking phytosterols/improving my diet. Also taking fish oil, b complex, mag and vitamin d supplements.I have RA which is controlled well. My problem today is that I have been having intermittent chest pain that comes on at different times day/night. Sometimes following physical activity, sometimes just sitting at my desk at work. The pain is localized at times, usually in the center of my sternum and other times I feel it in my upper chest right side and then under my left breast. Sometimes I will feel pains in my arms/shoulder/collarbone and once I had it in the center of my shoulder blades. I have been to the ER 3 times with this problem (recently fearing pe I have been previously travelling in a car for a long period), its been diagnosed as Atypical chest pain, chest wall inflammation and recently as Chostochondritis. I have had ekg's, 2 chest xrays, 3 chest ct scans and 1 echo. All have been normal. I have a family history of stroke (maternal grandfather), heart attack,mother 64 and her brother 50. I am just wondering, could there be something hiding that these tests are not seeing? I don't understand why this chest pain is happening. I am really scared. My quality of life has declined since this mess has started. I am always afraid. Also I fear that I may have a blood clot in my groin/pelvis/inner thigh, there is no swelling redness or heat - just a achy pinchy feeling I have noticed last night. It doesn't hurt all the time, just with certain movements. I am afraid that it may be a dvt that could become a PE. All this because of the car trip I fear - which was 10 days ago. Would it be a constant pain? I know that sometimes there are no symptoms at all. I feel so dumb asking this, but I am just so scared.
Three CT scans are not the appropriate way to work this up. They represent a lot of radiation and contrast exposure which is really not necessary. I would suggest that you have a lower extremity ultrasound to exclude a DVT, as the CT scan only excludes proximal or central clots and not small sentinel clots.
I am sorry, I forgot to mention that those 3 ct's were over a course of 9 months...also, I have had dopplers done on both legs, upper and lower and nothing was found except for an old clot that was in a superficial vein I think? the doctor said that it was nothing to worry about. I found out what the chest pain is now...FIBROMYALGIA! YAY! Thank you Lord! And thank you physicians!
Also, I have been told that my blood pressure was due to stress and anxiety following the birth of my child. My mother died two days after she was born, so I was sorta under a tad bit of stress with that and just having major surgery I think. ;-)
How was the fibromyalgia diagnosed?  I have been going throught the same stuff.

thanks