Heart Disease Expert Forum
Intermittent tachycardia

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Intermittent tachycardia

My husband went to his doctor approx. 6 months ago because he was experiencing shortness of breath, irregular and racing heart beat, chest pains and fatigue.  He was diagnosed with hypertension and is currently taking metoprolol and lisinopril. These meds seem to be taking care of his blood pressure, but he's still experiencing an ongoing problem with his heart rate, shortness of breath and fatigue.  For no apparent reason, his heart rate will jump to 130-165 even at rest.  These episodes are intermittent and last less than a minute and occur several times a day.  At the advise of this doctor, he stopped drinking beer, pop, and coffee over 3 months ago but has had no affect.  He has had 2 ekgs both which have been normal, but yet he still continues to experience this episodes.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated
ppeters,

Your husband may be having an arrhythmia which is causing his heart rate to go fast. This can be very difficult to diagnose the cause unless you are able to capture it on an electrocardiogram (ECG). It sounds as if it does not last long enough that you could go to the doctors office in time to have an ECG performed. In cases like these, a loop monitor or event recorder are often helpful. These devices can be worn away from the doctors office and capture an ECG when your heart rate feels like it is racing. Once the rhythm is captured on an ECG the proper treatment becomes more clear.
Thank you so much for your response.  I found it to be very helpful.  My husband is currently working out of state, therefore unable to make it to his primary care physician.  Do you know if he would have to get an event monitor from his doctor or can it be purchased without a physician's order?  I realize that if he was able to purchase one on his own, our insurance would probably not cover it, but you can't put a price on a person's well being.  :)  
I do believe you have to get the event monitor from his doctor. Even if you could buy it, he would still have to bring it to his Doc because it has to be set up. Then after the 24 or 48 hrs he brings it back to the Doctor so it can be read and a report is made on the findings.
A Loop monitor I think is one that is implanted in the chest right under the skin.
I'm not sure the Heart MD is going to answer your second question, so I thought I would give you my opinion.  Best Wishes