Heart Disease Community
Irregular heart beat in a child

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Irregular heart beat in a child

I noticed a few weeks ago that my 6 yo son's pulse was irregular.  I compared it to my 3 other children's pulses and theirs were very regular and steady.  I tried not to worry about it because I have a tendency to hypochondria.  I was at a friend's house on Monday, she is a pediatric nurse, so I asked her to listen to his heart for me.  She said it sounded irregular, but chalked it up to being nervous around their dog (he's allergic).  I had to take two of my children to the pediatrician yesterday because they were ill.  At the end of the appointment I asked her to listen to his heart and she said it was irregular as well.  We were sent to the hospital for an EKG which the ped said to bring back to her and she would consult with a pediatric cardiologist at a children's hospital.  When I gave her the print out, she showed me where his heart beat 3 times, paused, beat once, paused, etc.  

How concerned should I be about this.  I'm on pins and needles waiting for a call back.  Any ideas?

Assured
Avatar n tn
Thank you for your prayers!  I went out this afternoon for a bit (I did give the doctor's office my cell #), and I accidentally deleted a message off my answering machine before I listened to it when I got back.  UGH!  With my luck that was the doctor calling.  It'll all work out, though.

Assured
Avatar n tn
My daughter has had an irregular heart beat for several years now. I became aware of it when she was about 8. She is 13 now. She is seen by a cardiologist every year for a different reason, and he says the irregularity is completely benign and nothing to worry about. She is in no way symptomatic with it. Hers is an irregularity where if the top part of her heart does not initiate a heartbeat in normal time, a different part takes over (sort of like a safety net). (Thus, the irregular pattern) Good that you are having it looked into, but I hope it is something that will be as benign as my daughters. Good luck.
I will say a little prayer for your child in the meantime alot of times skips in heartbeats are benign...I have had this problem since I was a little girl.I have mitral valve prolapse which causes this...try not to worry I know it is easier said than done....if it was that serious I am sure they would have kept him
Avatar n tn
Also, it could be a sinus arrhythmia which is very common in children.  The heart may seem to speed up a touch with inspiration and slow down with expiration.  It is a harmless variation of normal and actually a sign of a healthy heart!
Also they should have called you by now if they saw something alarming
Avatar n tn
Hello everyone,
My daughter 11 years old has not being feeling well for about two months. She has a history of bloody noses. She had a bad bloody nose and after that she fainted and she looked like she had a seziure. Well a rush to the emergency room and a cat scan showed no sezuire. Since then she has been feeling dizzy for a day or two each week where she feels like she is going to faint. The doctor tried seeing if it was her sinuses. Wasn't that. Took her to the doctors today because of a dizzy spell the doctor took a ECG and found a irregular heart beat. Now on friday my daughter is going to a cardiologest. Just wondering if anyone else has been through this? Or has any idea of what may be going on.

Thank you  ~ zoebug
Avatar n tn
Went to the cardiologest and found out she has very low blood pressure. The doctor told me we had to make sure her diet had alot of salt to bring up her blood pressure.

~zoebug