Heart Disease Community
Irregular heart rate and light headed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Irregular heart rate and light headed

My heart rate goes as low as 40 and as high as 116 just doing normal activities.  I am also very light headed. I have also been getting very tired doing normal activites.  I had a 24 hour heart monitor put on that proved I had irregular heart rate.  I also had a stress test showing my EKG was irregular but the ultrasound of my heart looked pretty good except one small section of my heart was what they called thickened.  I have high cholesterol (SP) and sort of high blood pressure around 159/92.  I feel the doctors are blowing this off.  The Cariologist actually made me feel like the dizzy spells wasn't due to my heart rate and that I needed some b/p medicine and cholesterol medicine and that will probably be it.  My dad has heart disease, 1/4 of his heart is dead and I would like to know if I have reasons to be concerned?  I am almost 47, female, a little overweight but not much.  Was fairly active about 3 days per week until I started feeling this way.  After leaving the doctors office today, I felt like they thought I was stupid for thinking I had any problem. I just know my heart at times feels like it if flopping all over the place and then I get dizzy.
With your family history and current risk factors (high cholesterol and blood pressure) you do need to be doing some aggressive risk modification, which should probably include medications for both.  If you're having symptoms that aren't improving, push for more testing.
When was your heart rate at 40? Mine was that low when I was asleep and has been as high as 163 (from wearing monitors). I have had PVCs (but I don't really know when I have them since I can't pinpoint what they feel like, do you have them. I feel a buzzing in my chest but I don't know if that is it or not). About the dizziness, I have been dizzy since April and the cardiologist does not seem to be worried. Have they taken your blood pressure in both arms and legs? (to make sure you have proper circulation) Also get someone to take your blood pressure when you are lying down and then get them to take it when you stand up. If it changes that could be a reason why you are dizzy. Has anyone done a CBC blood work or even a B12.
I know how you feel. I used to walk 1 1/2 hours a day until I started to feel bad and I went and got a second opinion. If you don't feel comfortable with your doctor it never hurts to go and talk to someone else. Has anyone said it is stress?  I do believe it can make things worse.
You are not alone.  Keep fighting for what you are feeling and do not let anyone tell you or different.  it is time you find a new cardiologist if you do not feel he is helping you.  I have the same family history; my dad also died of heart disease and had damaged heart tissue. My heart rate also bounces around and my blood pressure cuff shows irregular heart beat, but my dr does not seem to get it... I just set up an appointment with a new Dr. after I had to be taken out of my home by ambulance with sever chest pain, vomiting and fainting but my dr still does not think it is serious.  What does a girl have to do to be taken seriously?  Hang in there and listen to yourself - I am learning to stick up for myself and be demanding and I hope that you do the same.  We have a good life waiting for us.