Heart Disease Community
Irregular heartbeat PVC and how I fixed them

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Hi all.

If you have PVC's, you'll know how the symptoms can begin to affect your daily life.  I experience anywhere from 100 to 800 PVC's each day and can get pretty depressed some days.

Since 2004 I've been on numerous prescribed medicines, stopped coffee, cigarettes and alcohol and sex (just kidding), all in an effort to reduce or remove the symptoms of PVC's.

I don't want to get my hopes up but 2 days ago I went to the chemist(drug store) and bought some vitamins from the health section. One of the supplements I choose was coenzyme q10  (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coenzyme_Q10)

I've taken these for the past two days and my symptoms have disappeared!  I have had ZERO PVC's since Thursday.

Coenzyme Q10 is simply a vitamin supplement and readily available over the counter.  

As I am not a medical specialist I cannot recommend this as a treatment, but if anyone can ask their doctor and then try this I would be VERY interested to know if this has any affect on their symptoms.

I look forward to hearing back from fellow PVC sufferers to hear if this is cure that works for others.

I'm willing to try it!  How much Coenzyme Q-10 do you take per day?
There was a choice of 30mg or 60mg, I chose the 30mg and am taking 1 tab - 3 times a day
I tried it and it didn't work for me.  I am too desperate to find a way to get rid of these.
Despite taking CoQ10 150 mg/d I was having frequent pvc's - sometimes at the rate of one or two per minute. I found that taking 2 calcium/magnesium pills per day (1000 mg calcium/250 mg magnesium) helped slow these considerably.

I have a significant load of calcium in my coronary arteries - this may have something to do with causing the pvcs.

By the way, several years ago I found that I get pvc's when I become dehydrated. Drinking more fluids solved this (for a time at least).  
Hi Carrie,
That sux that it doesn't work for you. How long did you take it for, what other medication / suppliments where you taking??

I'm sure you've tried many things, one way I deal with PVC's when they get really bad is to do some breathing excersises, these really do help.  http://www.dartmouth.edu/~acskills/docs/deep_breathing.doc

Does Coenzyme Q10 Help PVC'z?

1 x Yes, fixed them completely.
1 x No, didn't work for me.
Hi Aaron.  I took it for probably 6 months or so hoping that it woul get rid of my PVC's but no no avail.  I have tried everything but just can't get rid of them.  I wish there was some magic pill that a person could take and I would take it.  I have been on beta-blockers as well but it still didn't stop the PVC's.  It may have stopped the fast runs of NSVT and SVT but I still had the PVC's.

I am currently taking Ciprilex for my anxiety about my heart (10 mg) a day.  I still get the weird beating around every day but the Ciprilex has taken the edge off.  I am totally obsessed with my heart and the weird beats it does it has just taken too much of a toll on my life to try not to get a handle on it.

The EP doctor I saw said that the beats were no big deal but my reaction to beats was the big deal so I am trying to deal with that.  

I have read about the magnesium/potassium imbalances as well but I haven't tried taking it.  I do however take a multi-vitamin but it doesn't seem to make a heck of a lof of difference either.
My sympathies to you Carrie41.  I know how much of a big deal this can be, espc. if those around you don't understand what it's like.

The two supplements that I am currently taking are

Magnisium 600Mg / day
CQ10 90Mg / day

I have been on literally 6 or 8 different medications and my joke about impotency was a half truth - some of those medications cause a cure worse than the disease.

Hang in there...
I asked my cardiologist if coQ10 would help reduce episodes of afib I suffer and he replied " the only thing coQ10 will give you is expensive urine". On the other hand my GP swears by it and has me taking a multivitamin with a hefty dosage. Doesn't seem to be helping, unfortunately

The chemical name for CoQ10 is ubiquinone... named after 'ubiquitous' because it is found everywhere --- in most foods--- and our bodies are literally awash in it. But there are apparently cases where patients have a deficiency, especially within the heart tissue.  I think in those cases, the supplements help.  However, if you don't have this imbalance, taking coQ10 will be ineffective in controlling arrhythmia.

Here's an abstract of a medical study that shows that coQ10 was very effective in preventing one type of induced arrhythmia in dogs.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=2423628&dopt=Abstract
Anyone who takes a statin may have a deficiency in CoQ because statins not only inhibit the production of cholesterol by our bodies, they aslo inhibit the production of CoQ.  I take 120 mg of CoQ a day but still get PVCs.  I really wish they would go away but they are here to stay.
Ok, I am new to this website and I cant begin to express how thankful I am to accidentally have stumbled upon it!! I have not been officially diagnosed with PVC's, but I am 100% sure that this is what I am experiencing.  I have had these on and off for years and thought I was going insane!  I just want to post this website on a huge billboard so the whole world can see it!  
Guys,
One thing you need to know.  Not all CoQ-10 is the same.  You need to use Ubiquinol, NOT Ubiquinone.  Ubiquinol is a newly designed C0Q-10 that has 8 times the absorption rate as the older Ubiquinone.  The Japanese patented this about 12 -18 months ago and you can't find it everywhere.  Here is where I get mine.

http://www.lef.org/newshop/items/item01252.html#Super-Ubiquinol-CoQ10

I just started with PVC's about 3 weeks ago.  Went to the cardiologist and he said not to think about it.  Kind of hard to do.  I started taking 2  CoQ-10 (2X50MG per day).  I only started this 2 days ago and either it works or my mind thinks it works!!  Don't care.  So far today, no PVC's.  That's how I got here, was looking for others experiences.  I know that CoQ-10 provides energy to the cells within the heart, so figured I would give that a shot.  

Life extension is good stuff.  Did a bunch of research and found 3rd party analysis that says consistently rated at 8-9 out of 10 scale.  Not the best, but best for the money.  GNC is rated 4 on 10 scale.  Centrum rated 1, thus the comment, expensive urine.  Bad quality vitamins do no good.  

So far, am having a really good day.  Give it a try.  
Good luck,
Bill
I have had these for 15 years and have not died. I have runs of them, hard ones, wierd beats, panic attacks, anxiety ect..... and am still here. I am 31 years old now, take toprol xl, and xanax. I gave up on wasting my short life on trying to get rid of something that isnt going to go away, and isnt going to kill me. So I live life to the fullest, before its over, and before I realize all Ive done was waste the whole thing worrying about pvcs. If youve had all the tests (ekg, echo, ect.......) and its normal, please move on, or before you know it, 5 more precious years are gone and you spent a god chunk of them worrying about these things. And look, your still alive.
I wanted to comment on this subject...my fiance has had the same kind of problems for awhile now, have been to numerous heart doctors, that put him on paxil.  It took a nuerologist to order a TEE test, which is an endocardiography of the heart.  (go down your throat and look).  After doing all the other tests, stress tests, ultrasounds, etc......it was this test that found a hole in his heart that he has had from birth.  (he is 36).  But, the neuro also found that his blood count has been down.  White and Red blood counts.  So...i did a little research, and have found that when your blood counts are down, (which could be anemia), we do not know yet, havent been to that doctor yet to find out!  
  But anyway....when your blood counts are down, it will cause you to have PVC symptoms, hard time breathing, all that "good stuff"....which my fiance has been having.  And his symptoms got considerably worse after an "episode" at work, that the neuro thinks was a stroke, caused by the hole no cardiologist in Missouri could find!  But no doctors could figure that one out when he was hospitalized after that incident--go figure!
They ignored his low blood counts, didnt think that he needed to have a TEE test because all his other tests came out fine, and couldnt figure it out.  But found from some pretty major scarring on his brain, that he had a hole in his heart!
  But you might want to look at your blood counts.....we have been through hell since May trying to get answers, and couldnt get any from multiple cardio doctors.
And MAKE sure you have a TEE test done!  you can do every other test, but that test shows all the nooks and crannys in your heart...all of it!  We wasted so much time and money doing all these other heart related tests...and all coming back negative!  
I also read that you should be eating a diet high in iron---spinach, radishes, liver, etc, my fiance has been on it for a month and his symtoms (symptoms) have been a little more mild.
We are crossing our fingers that when he gets the hole fixed, that he has had since birth, that it will help alot!
But keep pushing, if you can, and see as many doctors as possible, i think now days, it just comes down to finding one that cares, and isnt afraid that he will get sued if he is a little more aggressive in finding the problems!  

Good luck
WOW I am at a stand still here, 3 days ago on Dec 10, 2008 these pvcs started never have I ever experienced such a thing. I am a very healthy person or so it seamed   . I went to the hospital and did the stress test 160 beats per minuets on the treadmill and no pvcs they layed me down in a bed waiting to go back to my rooms and I got heart burn and the pvcs started. as many of you I am having them from 1 to 10 a minuet and my mind is ready to leave me. I just can't figure this one out. I have been praying like no tomorrow is coming and will do so for all who have this thing and I ask the Lord Jesus to have mercy remove this thing from us all. your new friend Charley
I've read your comments and thought I would chime in with my experience. I am: White male, age 49, 5'11 175 lbs. Very athletic and do a daily cardio routine of 40 mins of running on the beach.  Resting pulse 60.  I've had PVCs all my life. Every day, singles, runs - you name it.  Actual diagnosis was at 19. Seen 6 cardiologists. Had every exam/test there is and must get my FAA class 1 medical every year and have thrown PVCs during my FAA EKG.  The FAA could care less that I drive a Boeing 747-400 for a living and have PVCs. My personal physician could care less - he has them and has since his medical school years.  Everyone has them - it's simply a matter of frequency. Do this: Keep a healthy diet. Do not smoke. Exercise (cardio) 3+ times per week.  PVCs aren't going to do you in, but worrying about them just might as the stress you're putting yourself under taxes the body terribly. THAT is your biggest danger.

Captain Payne
THANK YOU FOR THAT POST!

I get PVC's when I have reflux gas pressure and anxiety.  I've had several different test done as well.  All have come out GREAT! - All The Doctors have said. "they are harmless" Dont even think about them" " just ignore them" -it's hard ignore them when you're having them.  Reading post like the one you just wrote is AMAZING!  Thank You Captain!

J
I have been having these for the last 3 years. They seem to get better and then start up again.  I have had all the tests and doc says there is nothing to worry about.  Well, I can't seem to help it,  they still freak me out!  I am now trying meditation and yoga to try to calm my mind about this.  They cause so much stress for me that I have stomach problems as well. I am 50 years old, female and in good shape, physically.
I have tried Co Q10, taurine, omega 3 fish oil, prozac, xanax and who knows what else to try to stop these things. I have not tried beta blockers, but that may be next.
I wish I could just relax as I know these won't hurt me...
I am now 66 years of age and in good shape,  my body is 50, but I have been having PVCs for 40 years off and on, they come and go when hey want and yes they are bothersome and still make me wonder whats going on.  I had anxiety or panic attacj=ks for almost 20 years thinking at any moment I was going to drop dead.  Chest pains of off and on for years and still do.  To this day if I had a real heart attack I wouldn't know it at it's seemed like I've had them all my life.  I hate to say it but  I wasted a lot of years of my life worrying about my health and thoughts of dying of a heart attack. Finally about 15 years ago I decided that I'm tired of worrying about it all and decided life is to short and just live every day the best you can.  Some of us are just meant to have pain of some sort or something happening in our life that is disruptive all the time.  Then when we finally do get a good day of no pain or anxiety it really feels good, lucky are those in life who don't have all these crazy symptoms. I didn't really have a diagnosis for PVCs until about 5 or six years ago when I went to the doc for a normal physical and he found my blood pressure a little high.  That's when I told him I was having skipped beats on a pretty regular basis.  That's when he explained they were PVC's and said that atenolol which I guess is a beta blocker would help to lower my blood pressure, increase contraction muscles of the heart and slow my heart beat from a resting rate of about 75 to under 60per min and probaly eliminate most of the PVCs.  All of this was true and I am still taking 50mg  of atenolol 1 to 2x daily.  I can have what I call missed beats 15 times a minute.  Someone mentioned deep breathing exercises and they do help to get the heart back into sync.  I was told by a very smart physician many years ago that if you are doing deep breathing you will eliminate anxiety, feelings of stress and regulate your heart to the point where it is almost impossible to have a heart attack. My physician like most the rest say the PVCs  won't hurt you and some feel them moe than others and everyone has them.  When you think that most peoples hearts beat more than 115,000 beats a day, I think it's allowable for it to miss a few strokes every now and then.  The yoga and deep breathing should help the PVCs , but if it doesn't try the beta blocker, as it will also save your heart 30 to 40,000 beats a day and maybe make it last ten years longer than the average person. Also when you alone in your car try screaming and yelling for this thing to get out of your body. Just say your not going to take it anymore.  Good luck, DRphil66
Wow, I am actually glad to have found this forum here! I am 30 and I started having PVC's last March, and I just cannot get rid of them. I can completely relate with those of you who describe it as taking over your life and driving you insane! I feel them every time they happen and there are times when it is just over and over again for what feels like days at a time....I am also a Registered Nurse, so of course I imagine the worst, and I get so stressed out over them. I have been to the ER, been to my primary Dr. about this several times...labs are fine, holter is fine, chest xrays fine, etc...they all tell me it is a benign arrhythmia and that I am fine. But I don't FEEL fine!! I am in decent shape otherwise and have no trouble exercising....but these PVC's just make me worry that I have some underlying condition, or that I am going to flip into a serious arrhythmia and die! I am just glad to know that I am not the only one who has these! I just always wonder why did I just start getting them one day, out of the blue? Also, nothing seems to actually cause them that I can find...I have tried to see if it is related to caffeine, alcohol, exercise, etc, but they seem to just occur with no rhyme or reason!
i somehow feel my pvc and gerd are somehow related. i been having pvc  on and off for 20 yrs.when gerd was present. now i been having pvc every day for 6months, some days worse than others. i have no other stress other than pvc. i normally try to ignore them and it works most of the time. on bad days when they are continuous it runs my life. seems they are here to stay this time. before they would come n go but now i only had a handfull of good days the last 6 months. i never even knew what they were till i found this website.i asumed it was stomache related . god bless/
Hi everyone.  I am REALLY surprised that no one has talked about MSG.  My pvc's have been with me for 40 years.  With ME pure and simple they are caused by MSG.  Most of the time it is added to food, both packaged food and restaurant food.  If I cook at home and use natural ingredients NO pvc's!!!  As the years pass I have become more and more sensitive to it.  There have been times I have had pvc's for thee weeks 24/7 until I found the food that was causing it.  I work out and discovered that protein powders and bars combine the aminos to form mono sodiums and can trigger pvc's.  
Type MSG in your search engine and you will not believe how MSG is NOT disclosed in foods, renamed as other things.
Hi all, I had been having PVCs for years, sometimes for weeks on end.  Nothing seemed to help.  I read the posts on here and decided to try a combination of two things I had seen repeatedly.  I take 400 IUs of natural Vitamin E and 60 mg of CoQ10 every morning with a glass of orange juice when I wake up.  This combination seems to have completely stopped them.  I no longer live in fear of them daily like I did before.  I do get them occasionally, but nothing like before and not nearly as scary.  
I developed PVCs several years ago and I too took Co-Q10 to get rid of them. Just as others said in this thread, they just vanished within a day after I started taking Co-Q10. What is even better, I took Co-Q10 only for about a month and PVCs haven't come back. I have been practically free of PVCs for the last five years.

Skeptic
I am 54 years old and began having symptoms related to AF (atrial fibrilation when I was 37.  I have exercised regularly (walking, running, resistance exercises) all of my life because I enjoy exercising.  I was also a competitive distance runner in high school and college.  I've only missed exercising for maybe a week at a time if I had a bad cold or the flu or was on vacation.  I also have a healthy diet, so overall I would say I have had a healthy lifestyle; no smoking and very mimimal consumption of alcohol and do not consume caffiene.  3 years ago I had to have ablation surgery to eliminate the AF after medications no longer worked.  In the 3 years following surgery, irregular or skipped beats have gradually increased in frequency.  I wore a halter monitor for 48 hours and documented the times I felt the skipped beats.  My cardiologist saw no evidence of AF but did say the symptoms were caused by PVCs.  He also said that they were nothing to worry about and many people have them or don't feel the irregular beat even though they have them.  Unfortunately, I, like many of you, feel the skipped beats.  They occur at random times seemingly for no reason.  However, during times of physical or emotional stress they seem to happen more frequently.  Or, they seem to be position related such as bending over and standing up to fast, lying down on my left side or on my back, etc.   Also, if I wear tight clothing around my abdomen or have pressure of some sort on my lower abdominal area, this seems to increase the frequency.  After reading many of the comments posted here, I have concluded that many cardiologists and medical science in general does not have a definite solution to the PVC/PAC problem.  I know we are all told not to worry about it, but as has been said before, I wish they could be in my shoes and feel these irregularities.  Taking a beta blocker (metoprolol) does seem to have some minimal effect, but doesn't always work.  As far as anxiety is concerned, for me that is not a problem. So I'm back to square one.  As of now I am trying to find an alternative solution (vitamins, Coq10, et.) that will work for me.  I guess I have to trust the doctors for now and believe that this is not a big problem.  I will take some of your suggestions and see if they work for me.  If there are any medical professionals reading this, could you give your opinion?  Also, do any of you know if there are any detrimental physical health effects  caused by PVC's or PAC's?    
This is a very interesting comment site. I am almost 61 years old, an RN and have been diagnosed with PVCs. I've had for the last 9 days. I've been in mental misery thinking I'll develop an arrythmia, go into V-Fib and die. I think some of my symptoms are related to stopping my GERD medication about 4 months ago -- weaned myself off Aciphex. I had no problems with GERD until the PVCs started. I seem to get my symptoms mostly when I lie down. I'll also experience episodes of adrenaline surging into my chest mostly at night but also during the day. Very creepy feeling. I wonder how many people go through this? I feel so good for the few moments a day when I have no symptoms. I'll try the CQ10 stuff. Sounds better than the beta-blockers.
DANCINGHeart
When I had my cardiomyopathy and SVT and for a year after getting treatment and stopping treatment (Coreg) I took 300 mg of CoQ10, magnesium, potassium
L-Taurine, Vit E and Selenium. I tried finding my list that had everything and the dosage.  
Cardiac cocktail.
I researched many, many hours for studies about what I had and I'd run them by my cardiologist and he'd agree to them that it would all be supportive to my beta-blocker and could help my heart after the RFA.

150 mg a day seems to be good for PVC's take it with some fat, it is better absorbed.  

150 mg of what is good for PVCs? My first visit with a Cardiologist was not helpful. He asked a bunch of questions and gave no answers. Awaiting a stress echocardiogram. How do all of you that have lived with PAC's and PVC's sleep? In two weeks time I've noted more and more irregularity. I've always been a healthy person. I feel cheated by getting this. I never smoked, drank alcohol or caffiene and very little chocolate. I exercise and still want to exercise. How do you live with this. Took my first dose of Atenelol yesterday. Wow, the fatigue...

DancingHeart61
Hi DancingHeart:

CoQ10. I can't find the information for some reason, but PVC's were reduced greatly at the 150mg level.
I would also take magnesium and  potassium and see if that helps.
Thanks Trackermom, I was told by my cardiologist that people on statins benefit from CoQ-10 but I probably wouldn't. My lipids and chol are just fine. (Not that I'm real impressed by this cardiologist and do plan to get a second opinion...) How did you do your research? Are you knowledgeable about body chemistry? Being an RN I'm suspicous of any meds, and even herbal preparations have some bad effects and cause problems or adversely interact with medications. Was awake again at 3 a.m. last night with multiple PACs and PVCs. Probably was getting 12-15 a minute. I'm getting a stress echo Tuesday and then will be back on Atenolol. I've taken three days of Atenolol and not seen any improvement other than I'm so tired I don't seem to care so much about my symptoms. This forum has helped immensely. I'm calmer reading about other people and how they try to cope with this.
DancingHeart61
I will like to say that I have PVC's for the last year, and there are not a pleasent thing to live with, but I have realized that they are here to stay. I m on 50mg of metropolol(beta blocker) and it has help a great deal. I have seen several heart doctors and all of them told me that PVCs are normal and that I can continue to live my life the same way I have done it in the last 37 years. The one thing that I know that makes it worst is eating any food that have MSG. This ingredient send my heart into an irregular heart beatting that is not only unconfrotable but dangerous. As I am writting this I am wearing a 30 days recorder to try to explain to my cardiologist of the life that I experience every day, specially before I got to sleep. What I can say is that I have started to eat better, helping with my PVCs as well. I hope that this can make you feel like you re not alone with this. I have enjoyed reading all the commnets. It has make me feel a bit normal, knowing that it is not me inventing the symptoms that I have been experiencing for the last year.
I am a 26 year old female.  I was diagnosed with PVCs last June and it has changed my life.  I am thankful there are others out there.  No one gets it, they say oh I have those, no big deal..it is a big deal when your lying in bed and cant sleep cause you feel the beat again and again.  Your tired at work, crabby at home and depressed.  I am trying to find a way to cope with this, act like its not there..I just want to feel normal again.  Im on no meds as of yet, had every test known to man..low red blood cells was all they found.  I am taking iron for it.  I try to meditate, but mostly im just tired and would love a good night sleep without the pounding beats.  There are good days and bad days, Im just so glad this is here.  I feel so much better knowing I am not alone.
I had to take the morning-after pill, and three days later, I developed PVC's... does anyone know about a relation between hormones and PVC's? Could taking this pill have caused my PVC's? I am still having PVC's three weeks after taking the pill.
i had an episode that landed me in the ER a year and half ago.  tachycardia up to 180 beats a min. that lasted about 6 hours on and off, mostly on.  the docs (no cardiologists) told me if i was 30 years (im 55) old they would blame it on the 5 cups of french press coffee i had 6 hours before and let me go.  i dont usually drink more than a half cup a day.  they wanted to keep me overnight but i had turkey soup on the stove and had to leave anyway.  since then, i havent had any long bouts of fast heart beat.  i had always had that momentary heart stumbling/fast beat a couple times a day but after the event i began to have or notice the pvc's.  i am told that is the feeling of the heart stopping for a beat.  i wake up at midnight, or 3 or 6 am, with a fast heart beat and then a skipped beat every 3 beats, then 19 beats, then 12, then 5, etc.  if i move around and deep breathe a bit i can kind of stop them.  ive tried, but i cant find anything that causes them.  i too have had every kind of test and am 'normal' although all sorts of things show up on holter monitors - and my doc says just forget about it.  after i was prescribed atenolol 25 mg (i take half in the morning half at night in an effort to stop the night wake ups) is when the pvc's started.  i have normal really low blood pressure so sometimes i get dizzy even without atenolol....oh well.  looks like all of us are in the same boat, and more than one doc says forget about it.  so i guess i will.  luck and good health to everyone here.
I am 21 years old and have been having pvcs and pacs for about 3 years. They really have changed my life, and im scared to do anything. It is so hard to balance work and being a full-time college student with these. I know they won't kill me its just hard to do everyday things, i get tired so fast. If anyone has any encouraging words please let me know. I'm really not sure what to do anymore.
Hi, and welcome to Medhelp.  There are many knowledgeable people on this site who can give you lots of helpful suggestions on how to deal with these.  Personally, I am one of those who take the omega 3 fish oil epa-dea combination and it keeps them at bay.  It sounds like you are under a great deal of stress with school and work in addition to your heart issue. A lot of people find relief with meditation, yoga, exercise.  What does your Dr say?  
I'm sorry, when I posted above I didn't realize how many posts there are on this thread. You can see that there's a wealth of information directly above.  Good luck.
I just read all of the posts on this site. I am so glad to have stumbled across you guys - my fellow PVC suffers. I'm 47 and just started experiencing PVC's (skipped beat) in January 2010. My doc said "don't worry" . . .well it's the worry that's freaking me out. When some of you share your experiences with the condition and the worry - I can relate. I'm a widower raising my kids and I am so worried I couldn't sleep thinking that my kids would be orphans. I just want to say thank you for sharing your experiences. I'm going to try some of the remedies suggested but I'm also going to try true Chinese acupuncture - why not? Thank again!
I have had them for years and finally proved to myself that it is MSG.  Try this, cook at home for one week.  DO NOT use ANY prepared foods, just cook fresh meats, rice, pasta etc. DO NOT use any bottled sauces unless it is organic. I think you will find you have no PVCs.
I started taking Bystolic, 2.5mg back in November for mildly high BP.  Bystolic is a Beta Blocker.  Since taking the medication I have developed PVC's .... not too many per day but definitely noticeable.  I am under the impression that beta blockers are supposed to help with PVC's.  Could the Bystolic be what has triggered mine?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
I am 40, mine started around 5 years ago around the same time I started having panic attacks when I was hung over after a night of heavy drinking.  So no question alcohol is a trigger for me and I had to cut way back on drinking alcohol.  

For the last couple of years my PVCs have been almost completely eradicated by taking the fully daily recommended allowance of calcium and magnesium supplements.  However, just recently I've noticed they are coming back even though I continue to take the mineral supplements.  I now notice that overeating, eating certain foods (high carb and fat), and not getting enough sleep, as well as stressing in general all seem to trigger PVCs.  

I never realized how common they were until I started reading here... I guess PVCs just bother some people more than others... my doctor also says that he gets them all the time and to just ignore them as they are generally harmless and almost everyone gets them.  It's just for some reason that is unclear a small number of us are really bothered by them.  They still give me a start every time I have them, especially when I haven't had one in awhile, even though I now "understand" they are not dangerous.

I sure feel sorry for some of these folks who describe a much worse pathology with PVCs and other heart related maladies.  I can certainly sympathize, even if mine aren't quite that bad.  

Propranolol has been a HUGE help to me with my brand of anxiety (in fact I almost never need ativan or xanax anymore thanks to Propranolol (Inderal)), and I'm going to try the CoQ10 starting today.
Also, I just remembered that I have gotten impressive relief from PVCs by using Calcium Citrate in liquid form rather than Calcium Carbonate pills.  I had forgotten about this, and started taking the liquid again yesterday and they stopped completely thereafter. I had been getting around 2 to 3 dozen per day for the last month or so, but the day I switched to liquid Calcium they stopped, and I haven't had a single one in nearly 24 hours.

PVCs may have different underlying causes and factors for different people, but there is no doubt in my mind that my own are caused by a calcium deficiency and are triggered by alcohol, overeating, high fat/starch foods, stress, and not getting enough sleep.  But even when I am engaged in bad behaviors (I still drink a bit and don't get enough sleep), I will not get these PVCs  -AS LONG AS- I can keep my calcium levels up.

You can get a product from Welesse that has liquid Calcium Citrate and Vitamin D which is very inexpensive and is fairly easy to take.  The calcium carbonate pills worked for me for a period of time, but recently they just don't seem to work anymore.  

Not being a doctor, chemist, pharmacist, etc... I don't know how to explain, but I am convinced that mine are caused by calcium imbalance, so others may get relief from calcium supplementation, but perhaps not everyone.  hope this helps some people at least because I can completely sympathize with how disturbing these things are, even when they're just mild like mine.  

It's like an earthquake... people say oh don't worry they're harmless, but the mind can't help itself... you immediately become terrified that they will get bigger or that they won't stop... some people are just more disturbed than others by them, just like with earthquakes.  Ever notice that people can't stop talking about earthquakes after they happen?  It occupies the mind in a very extreme way, much like PVCs do for those who notice them or have stronger or more frequent ones like we do.  You just can't ignore them without working really hard to train your mind, and even then... it's not very effective in my experience.  They still startle me every time.
I have been suffering from pacs for the last 10 years. I am 43 and have been on atenolol, toprol and now on flecainide and i still get them almost 24/7. Is anyone out there taking flecainide?
I have had skipped beats for years.  Like everyone else, my heart is jumping into my throat.
The comment here has to do with coq10.
I take a multi-vitamin with coq10.
I am away and only have the vitamin w/o coq10.  So, I'm taking 100mg supplement.
The palps have been bad for the last 10 days.
They start about 1 hour after I take the coq10.
One day a scientific experiment does not make, but today I decided not to take the coq10.
Today, no palps!!!???
my pvcs cause me to have lower GI problems....experience the pvcs and then need the restroom almost immediately....then feel very tired and take a nap for about 45 min......anyone have this gastric problem with the pvcs ???
CoQ10
2nd day not taking 100 mg supplement.
no palps
maybe interaction with prilosec, zocor, or multi-vitamin(?).
Read to the end...there's light at the end of the tunnel! I don't get PVCs any more!.....I started having occasional PVCs aged about 19 while a student and remember taking myself to the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack. I gave up coffee which seemed to help(still don't drink it to this day) and I put it down also to exam stress etc. I used to go jogging regularly but in my mid-thirties had to stop due to increasing irregular beats during runs. I really missed my running. I tried again in my early forties and the same thing happened.  Also, when I was anxious or nervous my heart beat would flip around.  Then I had a really bad bout of PVCs in my late 40s despite no running.  For a while they would be every 10 seconds or so while at rest and last for hours. It was so depressing and uncomfortable. I had an echo cardiogram and 24 hour monitor but they said nothing was wrong, that they were harmless and to carry on as normal.  I took them at their word and decided to go running again despite my better judgement. I got the biggest bout of PVCs like thwacks in the chest one day while out on a run and sharp twinges of pain in my chest which frightened the hell out of me.  After that even a small exertion seemed to bring them on.

I had noticed over the years that there was a connection between my stomach and the PVCs.  I was never sure which came first.  I tended to get a lot of belching or burping when I had the PVCs.  I tried an effevescent anti-acid powder called Andrews(sodium bicarbonate and magnesium sulphate mainly with citric acid) and noticed that it definitely eased the discomfort and the PVCs subsided.  I was taking Andrews several times a week.  About two years ago I read about Aloe Vera easing stomach problems and healing the lining of the stomach and intestine. About two years ago I tried taking some Aloe Vera tablets equivalent to 10g per day of fresh gel.  I felt no stomach problems or PVCs after a while on these and hardly needed the Andrews.  I decided very gingerly to try running again at the age of 58 over a year ago....and I've been running ever since with no problem, competing in two 6 mile events in that time.  Even when I was young 2 miles was enough for me.  

I cannot say for certain that it is the Aloe Vera that has rid me of these infernal PVCs, but I can recommend it as something to try...especially if you notice a connection between PVCs and stomach/indigestion problems .  I also take CoQ10 now but that was begun after the improvements had already started in the PVCs.  For the record, I also eat a home-cooked wholefood diet with no fast food or processed food and low in salt and sugar.  I have noted that the low salt diet has helped to lower my blood pressure significantly.  See my website: http://saltandbloodpressure.weebly.com
I'm male, 64, and have felt these "missed beats" since around age 15. I've done my share of worrying about them, and have been tested, but my doctors have also told me that they're not going to kill me. I've been on beta blockers (propranolol, etc) for many years for rapid pulse, and they helped by making the PVCs much less noticeable. Around age 40, I was having lots of episodes, and I happened to read an article about NUTS and how they can help prevent irregular heartbeats, so I gave them a try. I ate a handful of mixed nuts a day, and after a couple days the PVCs disappeared. I continued eating the nuts, and the PVCs stayed away, for the most part, for about 10-12 years! But they have gradually returned now, and that's why I'm on this site, looking for other things to try.
Thanks for all your comments!
(Try the nuts, they worked for me).
After 3 weeks on CoQ10 and liquid calcium, a healthy diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables, no caffeine and daily exercise . . . I'm sorry to have to report that I've experienced little, if any, change in my PVCs.  About the only thing I can point to as an apparent cause of increased PVCs is red wine.

I'm still hoping to hear other success stories.
Stopped statins cold turkey when I found out, via my medical history which I obtained from the clinic I used to go to, that my pulmonary fibrosis was caused by Pravachol. However, this caused statin rebound, which took the form of two bouts of leg cramps about two months later, return of peripheral neuropathy Big Time, and, about a month after I quit the statin, a run of tachycardia which had me calling for an ambulance. There followed a series of odd PVC's and other weird heart behaviors which plagued me off and on for several months.The tachy never again went as high as it did when I was taken to ER and soon disappeared entirely. Doctors at Mayo say the PVC's are harmless and that the tachycardia and other symptoms had their origins in the sinus node of the heart and therefore are something I needn't worry about (they can say that! they should try having them sometime!).

I began taking 1000 mg of CoQ10 when I dropped the statins, and right away my skin became silky and the rough, coarse ring half-way around my heels disappeared finally after all these years of trying one cream after another to no avail. Not only did the  tachycardia disappear within a couple of weeks after it showed up, but the strange heartbeats are less and less frequent, now showing up only when I'm short of oxygen.  
Suspect they are on their way out. And as for the 1000 mg of CoQ10: Parkinson's patients are treated with 1200 mg daily, a cardiologist in Texas treats with between 200-300 mg daily, and nobody has yet found any adverse effects. However, once the statin rebound has gone away (I think I may have a short bit of it left), I do plan to drop down to maybe 100 mg daily - slowly descending to that level, of course, and pausing with each small decrease to see if there is any problem. Note, however, that I am a senior citizen, and seniors tend to be short on CoQ10 anyhow so I will stay on it the rest of my life.

Okay, do you folks ever stop to think that maybe your palpitaion problem could be something small and possibly even mental?! Anxiety is a leading cause for PVC's and PAC's for me. I was born with two holes in my heart and a faulty pulmonary valve (fixed) but left me with left ventricular hypertrophy and a right bundle branch block. Both of these issues can cause palpitations. But for me they don't! Anxiety causes them. The fact that you are all on here looking at this forum stuff is a great indicator that you suffer anxiety. My palpitations scared the hell  out of my when they first came about. After seeing my cardiologist four times in 6 months and bring told i was healthy I finally came to grips  with my problem. I was causing them. I cut of coffee, alcohol, exercise, sex and anything else they could spark my adrenal gland and bring about anxiety and palpitations. I've defeated it my problem by considering what most of you haven't.  Anxiety and stress. Cut it from your life and enjoy things like a nice cup of coffee and a game of touch football. You owe it to yourself and your happiness, take charge of your life and stay out of the dumps about palpitations, heart conditions and etc. You only live once, and unless you physically have a reason to worry than just know it's all mental!!
One i wanna say thank u to all of u that have posted...i had my first dose of PVC'S about month ago... drove myself to the hospital thinkin i was having a heart attack...thank god everything looked good...but was having these PVC'S that i have never had before...doctors tell u not to worry..how can u not worry when it just doesnt even feel right....its very scary...there r nights i cant even sleep cuz im scared my heart will just stop...Im 40 with 3 kids so i cant afford to kick the bucket just yet ...so i been tryin to cut out all of things...and have just picked up a bottle of the COQ-10 ..so im going to give that a try..as well has the beta blockers..there r days that things r not so noticeable but then there r days it just seems like one after the other and scares me to death...now i must say...with all that being said...i do stress not to much but i have never had these before..so its all new to me...im a happy giggle basket of  laughs and normally i dont let anything get me down..so not sure where all this came from...anyway the whole reason im writing this is to say one..i find all the post very interesting to read..and want to say i will take in count all that post.. Thank u for sharing ur stories!!! prayers sent to all ..thanks
I have been reading so long, my vision has gone blurry!  Thanks for all the posts and comments.  I've had PVC's/PAC's for well over five years now.  When they first started, I too thought I was on my way out.  I'm 53 now, and I still worry.  Some days are worse than others.  I'll sometimes have 3 to 5 or more a minute.  Other days I will barely notice them.  But about six months ago, I went into A-fib.  Spent 2 days in the hospital, and drugs got me back to normal.  I too am borderline low-blood pressure, but I did try Toprol (way back when) and then moved on to Cardizem (which I miss!) before the A-fib episode.  Now I'm on the new drug Multaq and an aspirin a day therapy.  But my stomach is bad.  I do have gerd.  Lately, I've been wondering if I have something worse!  It's bad.  So are the PVC's.  A few of you mentioned possible relation between heart and stomach.  I'm going to try liquids for a few days to see if that helps with both.  I'm also going to try the CoQ10 and the AloeVera.  All my doctors tell me not to worry either - that it's just my "weird" system, and it's "normal for me."  After A-fib, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea.  Sleep apnea can damage the heart.  I guess I've had sleep apnea for awhile.  Now I use my mask at night and I do sleep much better, and wake up feeling more awake and less groggy.  My cardiologist has told me that sleep apnea is deadly and can cause the a-fib.  It really stresses the heart.  But even after using it for about 4 months now, I still get the PVC's/PAC's, but not the a-fib, which was SCARY.  I'm praying that doesn't happen again.  Since then, I've gained weight.  I'm afraid to exercise.  When I do exercise even a little walk, I feel the PVC's for two days and I get short of breath easily.  It scares me, but I know I should continue walking to help strengthen my heart muscle.  That's what my doc says.  It's just scary.  I used to walk a few miles daily and loved it!  I miss that happy feeling you get from exercise.  Also, I am prone to anxiety - have always been.  So the one posts about anxiety was noteworthy.  I was born anxious and I think I always will be.  I try not to worry, but the littlest thing will set my mind to thinking, and that's not good!  Anyway, I've rambled.  I just wanted to share my experiences with the palps and see if putting out more information could help anyone else. Best wishes to all of you!
All doctors say to cut out coffee, but i heard one on a news show say he also suggested it but now has found coffee will stop them. I like coffee so i gave it a try. Who wants to be some drug companies lab rat? And vitamins, what the heck is in those anyway. I started out with just a cup at around 4pm..I've built up a resistance i guess and drink 2 cups now and usually drink one before 6pm. I had them so bad that i would go hours without a normal beat, some nights i would wonder if i would wake up in the morning. But after 20 years of them, i decided that if i were going to die from it i would have already. I tried many things to stop the episodes, sometimes it would work for a day or two. But the coffee has worked since september.
It seems like this is an entire thread dedicated to the dreaded PVCs and, actually, there are probably pretty many other things going on here in the arrhythmia department.  I am an RN with a background in cardiac who has had a ton of weird rhythms for over 30 years.  You guys all make very valid points.  If you ever want to read a ton of information go to the Heart Rhythm forum.  This forum is more for people who have cardiac disease and there are tons of people who get PVCs that do not have disease.  If you ever need info, it is a a good resource.  Also, we all understand what you're going through.

However, if you have symptoms of cardiac disease, then this forum is your best bet.
I have found magnesium supplements and also St John's Wort are effective at stopping them or keeping my PAC's to a minimum
I am so grateful that all of you have taken the time and are willing to share your stories. I started having panic attacks post partum 27 years ago. Since then the anxiety has taken many forms including pvc's and  esophageal spasms and GERD. I have had many months free of symptoms, sometimes while taking meds like nexium or xanax sometimes just because things are going well in my life and my stress is reduced. For me the anxiety that leads to the dreadful PVC, spasms and panic becomes heightened in times of severe prolonged stress. I too just 'live' with it all.  After many different heart tests, GI exams, psychologists, I can say that what seems to make a difference in reducing pvc's is reducing stress and stress reaction and making sure that I have enough potassium and magnesium as well as eating apples for GERD. Years of ruined vacations, a career derailed, relationship problems, weight gain from fear of exercise have left me wondering if this will EVER go away.  I have not given up. When I have bouts of pvc's I live through them and keep hoping they will be the last.  Knowing that I am not alone in this is s great comfort. I believe that if I met any of you I would break down and cry because I understand the way you feel. Thank you for sharing on this forum.
Here's our heart rhythm forum where almost everyone is going through some type of arrhythmia - feel free to join us there also =)

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Heart-Rhythm/show/92
I'm so happy to have read your post. I kept telling my sister that every time I experience a skipped beat, I feel gassy. Its not always related, but has been after McDonalds or some other junk food. I thought I was going insane relating the 2 incidents. I started getting tachycardia bouts when I was 15 years old, they'd come once every few years. Then after having a baby, I'd notice I'd have a tachy spell lasting up to 30 minutes. A few years ago I had a Super Ventricular Tachycardia which sent me to the ER as I was having symptoms of a heart attack. The EMT clocked my heart rate at 222, injected me intravenously, stopped my heart and then injected me again to restart my heart. Since that day, I've had skipped beats, tachycardia, but have slowed down since. I started mental noting what I ate or drank when i had these episodes and they all had the same common denominators, High Fructose Corn Syrup. I told my cardiologist about my find and he didn't seem to find my validity in what I was saying. Trust me when I tell you HFCS has EVERYTHING to do with how your heart functions. Some companies have now replaced HFCS with Aspartame which is 50 times worse for you, but for anyone in general. Its pure poison for your body. I have since written to every company that uses it and believe me, it is in EVERYTHING!! I have written the FDA and the General Surgeon asking it be removed. Oddly enough, I have come to notice that many companies are in fact removing the substance. Most places have turned to using pure cane sugar, or just plain sugar. Corn syrup doesn't affect me, but HFCS which is processed, does in a major way. I have written to that commercial that portrays HFCS to simply be made from corn. Yes, while it very well may START out as corn, its then severally processed. Whatever they do with it, bugs my heart out. Thank the Lord that I've not had any SVTS in years (knock on wood), but the PVCs/PACs are still here on a constant basis. I notice if I don't hydrate enough or eat, I will have them more frequent. I also get this weirdness as someone mentioned above, that if they move or lay a certain way or wear tight clothes, they will get worsened symptoms. This happens to me as well as puts me into a tachycardia episode. I, like many on here, live everyday in fear to where its almost debilitating. I have worked from home for years now, and also attend college from home because, I'm petrified to be out in public and have an episode. I try to over come this fear and I'm getting better with it, but its the scariest thing I've ever had to go through. I notice that when I have a skipped beat, I instantaneously hold my breath. Don't even ask me why! I'm wondering if carbs, sugars, processed foods cause them, they seem to and I'm wondering what Gerd or gas has to do with them, they seem to go hand in hand. I also wonder if my body cannot breakdown sugars anymore and that's why I get them so often as well. Not to say I'm glad I'm not the only one, because I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but I'm happy I'm not alone, even under these circumstances.
Good luck with the heart issues, everyone. I pray they go away! SLP
Has anyone tried exercising?? I heard it helps...
look at the titel
For some strange reason people take comfort in knowing that they are not the only one experiencing something, I commonly come on online a read other's similar situation's and for whatever reason it give's me comfort and courage. I like all of you suffer from an abnormal heartbeat. Skipped beat's..hard beats..Sloooww beats..Missed beats. Weird Chest pain's. PANIC!! attacks. All the fun stuff that most people have the privilege of not having too experience :)

I was born with a disease called Wolf parkinsons white. Commonly known as WPW (go figures) I have been dealing with this everyday for 6 year's.I had an ablation and after it started getting all the above symptom's. And REALLY bad panic attack's soon after. Like you after a million ER visit's I am told the same thing. They are harmless and I am fine Seee yaaaa!! "Really Dr.DGAF"  " I sure don't feel fine" The Dr replies "Nope your cool man.Everyone gets them it's no biggie"... Not a good time. Its scarier that a priest in kindergarten  I know!!. And it never seems like anyone can help. I think that these are one of those condition's that there is no simple cure too. Everyone body is different and something that works for someone else. might not work for you. We all deal with it in differently emotionally and physically. And some of us just don't have a choice but too bite on a stick and suffer thru it.

I personally deal with this with a few conventional way's and a few controversial. It really is a balancing act that I still have not perfected..But make's my life bearable. I take metoprolol. I try try to stay hydrated. And I try to eat regularly..I don't watch my diet. I just make sure I eat meals 3 times a day. Those are my preventive steps. Now for the fun stuff when I start getting crazy heart. I drink a few drinks. And when I say a few, I mean 2-4 drinks. Alcohol thin's your blood and is a depressant. When they start getting bad I take painkiller's (Vicodin or Percocet) Opiate's lower your blood pressure and eliminate stress. Xanax when it get's really bad. Slow's your cardio system and eliminate's stress. I am sure some of you don't agree with this system. But trust me I went a year completely natural..Eating a super balanced diet. Daily workout schedule.. a perfect lifestyle considered by many and that didn't work buy any mean's My finger's have been glued to my neck taking my pulse for 6 years. And this has worked for me. At least 90% of my life has been normal since I have been on the rock star diet. I don't want any of you to take this and take this to the extreme. I DO NOT mix these and drink crazy and or take anything in excess. I do the bare minimum to just get the effect of the drug's. As with the listed medication you should not have more than 2 drinks MAX when taking these. Acetaminophen WILL shut down your liver with too much alcohol. And as with anything ask your doctor first. A doctor will not put you on this mixture BTW for heart problems. But I did tell mine and I told him it was the only thing that has worked and I was going to do it whether he wanted me too or not. He told me as he could not recommend it legally. But he told me the limitation's on doing it. Generally I start with about 10 mg of codeine and take 25mg of metoprolol. If it continues I drink a beer or 2 and take .25mg of xanex. My Heart beats 70bpm. And my blood pressure goes to a perfect 120/80. And most importantly  PVC's stop.

I completely feel what you  guys are going thru, Worst thing is to panic. It will make the PVC's worse. I feel better being on the phone or around someone that know's of my condition that can take action if something does go wrong. But like everyone else here. I have been sure I was dying at time's and I am still here. I have talked to people that have been dealing with this for 50 years!! And they are still ok.  They have felt like they were dying 50 years ago and they are in good heath even. Remember that!!  Enjoy all and I wish you all the best and good heath.
I am glad that I found this forum. I too, am an RN, 63 years young, still working and very active. Have been having PVC, for a number of years now. It has been getting considerably worsened since my thyroidectomy in 2008. My TSH, runs amok every six weeks, widely disproportionate to the amount of synthroid that is prescribed. I m currently using a loop recorder, as the symptoms are wretched. It is putting a crimp in my lifestyle. Waking up at night, etc I am certain that it is due to my post thyroid status. My endocrinologist just keeps changing my dosage, and the cardiologist says I am fine!
Hey i had them for over 37 years and I am stll here , and I pray everyday that God will take them away I do not know why we get them or what cause them but I just want a normaly life ....Hazel
Understand completely your remark about feeling cheated. I feel exactly the same. I know people who drink, smoke and take drugs and abuse their bodies and don't get skipped beats. Me, I lived a clean life and this happens to me and is driving me out of my mind. It just doesn't seem fair.
I switched to Losartan for 3 days.....PVC's went completely out of control.....100 per min. at one point! Twos threes....for hours.  Took 25 mg. Atenolol and stayed quiet in a chair.  Stopped completely within 30 min.  None since after going to 25 mg Atenolol twice a day.
i had it since i was a kid till around mid 30, it stop for around 10 years( i quit something, not smoke, not coffee, not alcohol), lately it is back, my wife got me this soda machine at home, it happen every time i drink soda(i did not add any sugar, it just plain soda), i never notice it got something to do with carbonators until my mid 40. Hope this info will help.
I am a 68 year old male, artificial aortic valve 9 years ago, exercise = 46 minutes walking and 45 minutes Aquafit five days a week.

Three years ago PVCs started and got worse all the time = 15+ per minute. After reading these forums two weeks ago I started taking one 150mg Q10 a day, one multiple vitamin in the morning and one at night, eat two bananas a day and drinking a glass of water every time I pee.

10 days ago my PVCs stopped completely :) :) :) !!!! Keeping my fingers crossed!!!
PVC's are funny, kind of a running joke.

Until you have a serious heart issue and learn that your heart really will kill you if you don't pay attention.

Then they turn into an endless nightmare, a constant reminder of that base fear we all suffer from.

Sad part is that laughing Doctor isn't smart enough to see the relation and respect it. And that's more frightening then the PVCs.
Be careful if you are taking Plavix or it's generic.  I take the generic Clopidegrel and my Doctor advised me against Co Q 10.  Fortunately I only have a Random PVC issue but with CAD it's a concern.

Good health everybody.