Heart Disease Expert Forum
Irregular heartbeats and pregnancy
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Irregular heartbeats and pregnancy

I am a 30 year old female, nine months pregnant.  Just this past week I discovered that I am having irregular heartbeats.  My OB told me that is is most likely PVC 's, and although she is not concerned since I am one of their healthiest patients, she has recommended I see a cardiologist just to be sure.  I am an active individual, a personal trainer by profession, a competive runner (until 2 years ago), and run, walk, hike, and weight train for exercise (amoung other activities).  I have never noticed an irregular heartbeat before and it has me quite concerned especially since I am 4 weeks away from my due date and do not know how this will effect my delivery or my baby.
  Throughout my pregnancy I have worked out 3-4 times per week by walking ( I ran until month 6), including teaching toning, and calisthenic classes.  I noticed that after my walks my heart is beating normally, but returns to the irregular pattern after a few hours.  My blood pressure is  good 114/60 and my heartrate is 60bpm.  I have had a persistent chest pain (pinching) on the left side since the 6 month that I have been treating with the help of a chiropractor, and physical therapist ( it is though to be neuromuscular) and I have the normal third trimester tiredness although is comes and goes, but no other symptoms.  Please give me your opinion does this sound like it may just be PVC or something else? Plus are PVC's commom in preganant women because of the increased bloodflow? Is it harmful to my baby, or effect the labor/delivery and will my heartbeat go  back to normal after the birth of my baby? Thank you for your help.