Heart Disease Expert Forum
Irritability/Nausea/Palpitations

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Irritability/Nausea/Palpitations

I am an active healthy 25 year old female.  I have no diagnosed medical conditions and am currently not taking any medication.  I have been experiencing a strange pattern of symptoms for the past 3 years.  The severity and duration varies, but the order of appearance of symptoms is conserved almost every time.  On the first day, let’s say this is Day 0, I experience symptoms that are typical of iron deficiency; I feel tired, dizzy, slightly nauseous, exercise intolerant, have heart palpitations (skipped beats) and chest pains (stabbing pain located beneath my left breast) and become very irritable.  That night of Day 1 I will experience oscillating heart rate and blood pressure when I go to bed.  After lying down, I will begin feeling very hot, my blood pressure and heart rate rise rapidly and I will sweat.  Then everything will return to normal.  I will go through multiple cycles of these changes until I fall asleep, the time in between the events is variable.  The next day, Day 1, I feel very tired to the point of barely being able to get out of bed.  If I do get up, my heart rate increases rapidly and stays elevated, but I feel like my blood pressure is very low.  I will be tired, exercise intolerant to the point of barely being able to walk more than a few steps, have difficulty concentrating and experience more severe chest pains.  In addition to the stabbing chest pains, the entire left side of my rib cage becomes tender, and I cannot lie on my side. Three years ago when these episodes started, Day 1 symptoms would continue for periods up to 3 weeks.  Now when it occurs they rarely last more than 48 hours.

I have had multiple holter tests, an echocardiogram and blood work done.  The holter showed runs of SVT-like rhythm, but my max heart rate was only about 120bpm during these events.  The echo and blood work was normal.  I would like to think that it's just stress or anxiety, but so far these events aren't precipitated by stress.

Thank you
1 Comment
This could all be stress related but it might be worth for you to be seen by an electrophysiologist to assess this SVT.  It is most like normal sinus tachycardia but it could also be an atrial tachycardia or some other form of atrial arrhythmia.