Is This Anxiety or Heart Problem??
I am nineteen years old and have bad anxiety. When I was younger, I was a hypochondriac and thought everything was wrong with me. At fourteen, I started having heart pain so my doctor gave me an EKG, a Holter Monitor, and a heart ultrasound. Everything came out fine and soon the pains went away. But I also have occasional heart palpitations where out of nowhere my heart beats really hard and fast. This summer, I had one that lasted half an hour, I went to the Health Centre at my work, they didn't seem concerned and they helped me calm down as my anxiety had taken over. This happened again when I was alone at home so I asked my doctor if this was normal. She said to go to the emergency room just in case the next time a palpitation happens for that long. Since she told me that, I have been constantly aware of my heart, there are periods each day where it keeps skipping beats and I have had multiple panic attacks. I wore another Holter monitor but hardly any symptoms happened the one day I wore it, now I am waiting for results. I have also being feeling really emotional lately and have general anxiety all the time. How can I ever know if there is truly nothing wrong with my health? Is there a chance they can miss things during all these tests? Can something have developed since the last time they checked 5 years ago? I was also born with a hole in my heart which sealed itself after a couple weeks, I think this has caused an awareness of my heart, but can this be a cause of something going wrong today?
The symptoms you describe match those caused by anxiety, and of course they can occur with different intensities. Your body basically gets a big flush of Adrenaline, which will affect the Heart and other major organs. I think many Doctors just seem to say "Oh it's just anxiety, nothing to worry about" but from what I've read this is a bad approach. Anxiety is very real and if it didn't affect your physically in the way it does, then you probably wouldn't worry. A good Doctor will take measures to help you overcome the problem, not just sit back and do nothing. I remember having my first nuclear stress test and stress was induced with medication. A sudden wave came over me, my chest tightened, I found it hard to breathe, I felt dizzy, my head started to hurt, my heart was racing and felt like it was bouncing around in my chest, and to be honest, I was scared stiff which didn't help matters. If I didn't know it was the medication and if the Doctor didn't say "It will last about 20-40 seconds, I know I would have been even more scared. During further nuclear stress tests, I just sat there, thought of a calm quiet place and took slow deep breaths. Half of the symptoms didn't appear and the symptoms I did get, disappeared much quicker, around 10-15 seconds. It's basically the fear which is making matters much worse and preventing quick recovery. You automatically think "OMG, there's something not right with my heart, I'm going to die now". Those were the thoughts during my first stress test. I fully understand that fear.
I would put more pressure on your Doctor to help with the Anxiety, and definitely try to relax when those episodes start. Just sit down and keep saying "It's that damn adrenaline rushing through me, there's nothing to fear, it will stop soon" and take very deep and slow breaths. It isn't easy at first but you soon learn to control it.