Heart Disease Community
Is a low heart rate ok?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Is a low heart rate ok?

Hey guys, I was just wondering, how low is too low for a pulse rate? because i have just been hospitalised for an eating disorder, but i think this is stupid that i was put in hospital, because my problems are more mind related than physical. i had to be literally forced in here by the cops, as because i am only 17, my parents get the ultimate decision.
so aniway, i am 17, 188cm and weigh 69kg first thing in the morning. thats a healthy weight isnt it? because i really dont think that i should be in hospital at that weight but the doctors say that as low pulse and having a postural drop in blood pressure means that your underweight, which i think cannot be applied to everyone. my pulse went to 29bpm during the night about a week ago and last night was 33bpm, but these stupid doctors think that that means that i have to be force fed in here to gain weight.my resting hr in the day is about55 which i think is fine.
are thes pulse rates good, and are the  doctors maybe overlooking somethin or overreacting?
If your heart rate is dropping into the 20's you need more medical help, please get it. That is dangerously low.

Jon
not overreacting, unless you are a world class marathon runner, your heart rate should not be that low. Alberto Salazar a top class marathon runner out of Portland Oregon was some what of case study of a very conditioned heart years ago when his heart rate was in the 30'ish range. Normal for comparison is 60-100 bpm

I completely doubt that your heart is so conditioned to have the stroke volume of a marathon runner, who incidentaly, his backup pacemaker was the predominant pacer. He was in a junctional rhythm.

As far as your weight, at age 15, I was 185cm and 57.7kg. Much smaller than you are now. Of course I started lifting weights and gained 22kg by the time I was 17 but my case was unusual. My mum took me in and made me do it but I enjoyed it.

Sounds like you arent enjoying your stay. Listen mate, I dont know why you are upset with all of this, really, sounds like it is necessary and being an arsehole about it makes them have to invent stuff to keep you there.
Take a deep breath, assume the lotus position and assume all things will pass. Let them make you healthy and then go on and live a healthy life.
If you are really a basket case idiot that is too stupid to eat for his own good, we on zee internets wont be able to help you. They know you better and I can tell you, if you get pissed off at the point you are now, and meaning, you have no control, being more of an *** to them wont help you out.
Adopt zen, and go with the flow, otherwise, if you think this stuff is rough, wait until you hit the real world and have to work for a living. You'll think of this stuff as the good ole days
Cheers and take care of that heart rate, something just aint right with that
Don't be afraid of your heart rate, the anxiety will cause stress to the heart. I've said in many posts on here about an incident I had when overdosed on beta blockers. My pulse was dropping to the 20's when I slept, always setting off the alarms. When awake it would range from 30-44 and no matter what I did, it wouldn't get any higher. When my heart rate was in the 20's I didn't feel light headed or anything, in fact I couldn't understand what the fuss was, I felt quite normal. So don't worry about it. HOWEVER, you have to realise that this is not normal and it's best to get it back to the correct rate.
Doctors are not overreacting about it, they are trying to do what's best for you, even though they seem like a pain in the butt at times, always fussing. Just chill, do as they suggest and that way you will have a long healthy life. Low blood pressure is a concern, it can be a sign of being under nourished or dehydrated or other issues. Low blood pressure can cause harm to many organs in the body if not controlled. I'm sure at your age you don't want to give up on life yet, no matter how bad it seems. You have your whole future ahead of you and can shape it to be any way you want it.
I'm sure you have a wise head on your shoulders and it's just a matter of putting everything into perspective. Things are not as bad as they seem most of the time, but your health is very important. The world will need you in the future, in ways you don't realise yet, so please concentrate on getting well :)
Being force fed gives around 90% of the nourishment required by the body, my wife was fed like this when on life support. You need to get chomping on some food because this is the best way to feed your body.
Thank you guys for the advice, very helpful. You're all good people :)