Heart Disease Expert Forum
Is air travel a contributing factor?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Is air travel a contributing factor?
My husband recently had what the doctors describe as a "mini infarction".  As a diabetic with high blood pressure and high cholesterol, he is in a high risk group.  He is on the appropriate medication and we have changed our diet and lifestyle as well.  The doctors say "It's a warning, gradually return to your normal life".  But - we travel a lot: Europe to the US and back 3 or 4 times a year, plus regular trips from the Netherlands to England and other European destinations.  We returned from a round-the-world trip in January and a trip to Florida at Easter - the day before the "mini infarction".  Is it possible that travel contributed to his problem?  Also, he loves to travel and is very keen to plan our next trip - but I have no idea if that would be wise?
Dear Chris,
Airtravel by itself does not lead to heart attacks.  However, increased stress may predispose to the risk of heart attack and travel does increase stress.  This does not necessarily mean that individuals with heart disease need to stop traveling. In general individuals with heart problems can do most things.  Your husbands doctor will give specific advice concerning what is acceptable for him.  Bon voyage.