Heart Disease Expert Forum
Is it time to see a heart failure specialist?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I have heart failure, my EF is 30%, I take 2 diuretics (spironalactone and lasix), an ACE inhibitor and a beta-blocker I am always SOB after short walks. My resting heart rate (HR) is over 100 but my blood pressure today was 94/62 (which is my usual) and all of the doctors (cardiologist, endocrinologist (I'm a diabetic also) and electrophysiologist) say the HR issue is because of my heart failure. I am wondering is it time to go to a heart failure specialist?
You have a low ejection fraction and it sounds as if you are having symptoms of shortness of breath with minimal exertion. Additionally, it sounds as if you are on the correct medicines: an ACE inhibitor, a beta blocker, spironalactone, and diuretics. It may be very reasonable to see a heart failure specialist since you are still symptomatic.

There are several things to consider in managing your heart failure. It would also be helpful to know what is the underlying cause of your heart failure. Also, the doses of your various medications may have to be adjusted. Your heart rate may be able to be lower, but it is hard to say without a more detailed examination.  You may be carrying to much fluid and may be congested. There is also the possibilty that you may benefit from the additional medications.

A cardiologist who specializes in the management of heart failure would be able to address the above issues. Good luck.