Heart Disease Expert Forum
Is my Low HR Healthy or Not???

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Is my Low HR Healthy or Not???

Hi thanks for your time. My concern is recently my HR has been very low, low as in the mid 40's. I'm a very active individual and usually have a HR in the mid 50's, so a dip to the 40's is kinda got me worried. The factors playing in is my diet is a bit obscure, not as steady as the average person day-to-day, but in general i try to eat as healthy as possible. The other factor was 2 weeks ago i got extremely sick off some spicy food i ate and was expereince reaccuring vomiting all day long, and since i was out of town had no way to replenish my electrolytes. Ever since then i've noticed my low HR.

I have experienced Low HR issues years ago and was hospitalized for it, and back then i was expereiencing all the symptoms of bradycardia such as dizzyness standing up, fatigue, and loss of concentration. Over the past weeks ive noticed my low HR, I've expereienced no similar side-effects. My stamina has been good as ever at the gym (which for the past days ive decided to cut back on due to HR not improving), my concentration hasn't been fuzzy at all, and I can do things like jump out bed in the morning fast and not feel dizzy at all.

Any insight/advice/suggestions would be very much appriceated.
1 Comment
A slow resting heart rate can be normal and can be a sign of excellent cardiovascular health but I recommend an evaluation by an internal medicine physician who will almost certainly obtain an EKG to make sure that your slow heart rate is not a sign of a conduction problem.  If you are having symptoms of lightheadedness or dizziness or fainting episodes this would be a cause for significant concern and warrant immediate medical evaluation.