Heart Disease Expert Forum
Is this a heart condition

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Is this a heart condition

I'm 36, female, 130 lbs and in general good health however 2 weeks ago I was slammed in the chest by a ton of bricks in the form of what I had feared might be a heart attack. I believed I had all the symptoms, dizziness, short of breath, tingling and numbness in my left arm.
I felt this was enough to get myself into the ER about 5 days later when my symptoms hadn't subsided sufficiently. They include; lethargy, increased heart rate while doing minimal activities (washing hands, scrubbing potatoes) pain in my chest emanating from the T11 vertebra thru to my sternum out from center about 3 inches, (I have slight scoliosis from the T7 up and hoped maybe I had pinched something) headaches (not something I normally get), and shooting pains up my neck and down my arms.
At the ER they did an EKG and 3 X-Rays then attributed my condition to a severe panic attack, I can see where they might believe this however I cannot see a panic attack going on for 2 full weeks at this level of pain and discomfort, it's the heart rate that sets me off.
1 Comment
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Tough to know for sure what was/is going on, but sounds like it has been frustrating for you.  I presume they also checked blood work to rule out a heart attack in conjunction with the EKG.  Your symptoms certainly could be consistent with a pericarditis or myopericarditis (inflammation of the sac surround the heart secondary to a viral infection, medications, etc).  If you had been having any flu like symptoms/severe cold symptoms prior to the onset of this, I would be more suspicious of a pericardial process going on (which could be discovered with simple lab tests and a good physical exam).  If your symptoms are still persisting, make sure to check back in with your primary physician so that this (and other) conditions can be ruled out.  Sometimes blood clots that have traveled to the lungs can cause similar presentations and if you are a young female who smokes, is on oral contraceptives, or has had a recent surgery or prolonged travel I would suspect this as a possibility.  Hope that helps.