Heart Disease Community
Is this a heart issue?

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Is this a heart issue?

OK- I have been dealing with anxiety for a while.  This happened a few years ago as well. At that time I had a non stress test and a stress done. I had no blockages and a mild leaky prolapsed mitral valve.  Last week I started on cymbalta.  Yesterday evening when I came home from work all of a sudden I felt awful fatigue. I had to lay down on the couch and I fell asleep. When I woke up my heart was racing, my stomach was sick and I felt cold.  I went to the urgent care where they decided to keep me there and evaluate rather than send me to the ER. My blood pressure was 150/105.  My blood pressure is normally around 125/60.  The doctor listened to my heart and decided I was reacting to the cymbalta.  Tonight when I came home once again I dealt with that fatigue.  What is going on?
hi, i read yr post.

i have been dealing with anxiety issues myself.

few yrs back i was given zoloft. well the first few weeks i went from worse to worse.

i thought i was going to die. anyway i explained my symptoms to my obgyn who is also a friend and his wife who is a cardiologist both said it was and effect from the drug.

most drugs of this kind make you worse before they start getting you better.
which is why many psychiatrists usually give you a xanax or something to
go along with the antidepressant .

to make a long story short you are going to be fine just stick with the treatment.

don't worry.

Avatar n tn
Where you live, can you be seen by a Cognitive behavioural therapist?  Learn about your anxiety, thoughts feelings and behaviours.  Medications don't touch the root of the problem.  CBT is excellent and anxiety can be controlled.
Thank you!
I am seeing a new therapist this week, I don't know what kind he is. I am also going to try some rapid eye therapy. Thank you for your reply!
I took Cymbalta a few years ago for about 3or 4 months. I felt like I was wired all the time. I went online and found other people have had similar reactions. I also had heart palpitations and my blood pressure went up. The reactions that other people had had reminded me of the symptoms that I had read about in the book Adrenal fatigue: the twenty first century stress syndrome. Shortly thereafter I quit the drug cold turkey (would not recommend doing this). I had no problems but you might. I had my endocrinologist check my adrenal function. I did a 24 hour cortisol test and my total cortisol was around 8 (range 4- 50). A few months ago, I repeated the same test. My levels were in the low twenties.

I believe that cymbalta drains the adrenal glands. It does claim to increase norepinephrine. Too much adrenaline can cause your symptoms. I would talk to my doctor about prescribing a different medication.

Take Care and good luck.