Aa
A
A
Close
Just told from loved one of theyre Polycythemia vera.....?
What is this......AND PLEASE IN TERMS I CAN UNDERSTAND.  Is he going to die on me within 10/15 years?  What can I do?  Where can I look for answers to help him?  I had bad dreams about him around Chrismas & for some reason I constantly felt I needed to get ahold of him.
NOW I find this out....?  I feel there might be some reason I need to look over everything.
Cancel
3 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Polycythemia is an over production of red blood cells. My grandfather had it in the 60's. It is not cancer. The treatment then was simply giving blood often, as this decreases the number of blood cells. I am not sure now what it is. I think depending on the severity they can do radiation. I think it is somethign you can live with for a long time but please check with a doctor.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
I also have polycythemia.  There are 2 types, polycythemia vera or secondary polycythemia.  Make sure to find out what type you have.  If it is secondary, as is mine, the doctor needs to find the first cause.  Mine is from a tumor hiding in my body somewhere...getting MRi's and CT scans to find out where but, smoking is the first thing that must stop as it makes everything much worse.  I also have emphysema but its not bad enough yet to be causing the polycythemia.  Wish there was more info about this...just thought I had menopause..lol
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1318997813
Blank
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1440481484
Blank
Netherlands
Blank
Blank
Blank
Ireland
Blank
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
Start Tracking Now
Blank
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
1236893 tn?1408490528
Blank
gymdandee commented on Gun Disarm Technique...
20 hrs ago
Blank
Paxiled commented on Gun Disarm Technique...
Jul 25
566249 tn?1294661218
Blank
GardeniaDreams So very tired. Comment
Jul 24
Heart Disease Community Resources