Heart Disease Community
Know the symptoms of a DVT: Deep Vein Thrombosis or blood clot!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

I'm CPR/AED and First Aid trained.  I also happen to have a huge history in both sides of my parents' families for:  Blood clots, Angina, heart attack, stroke, Type II or Age Onset Diabetes,  Osteoarthritis real bad in my Dad's mother's side, Breast cancer in his baby sister AND  Thrombosis in my mother's father's side real bad.  Well, it turns out, I have a blood clot in my Rt. upper Return  lung  and am now at home weaning off the Lovenox shots to the abdomen which you normally give yourself which do bruise no matter where you put them and also being weaned to Coumadin the Warfarin Sodium therapy for clots not to form in the first place.  

NOTE:   You folks out there who love Broccoli, Kale, Cabbage, Brussell Sprouts, all the leafy greens loaded with Vitamin K?   You need to be aware that these foods SHOULD BE EATEN IN MODERATION especially if you sit for long periods at a desk or in a chair at home, whatever!   If you notice severe cramping coming on suddenly in your legs, it's not because of not eating Bananas folks, YOU NEED TO GO TO THE ER ASAP AND LET THEM CHECK YOU OUT.  DON'T WAIT UNTIL YOU'RE COMPLETELY OUT OF BREATH AND PROFUSELY SWEATING LIKE I DID!   BIG MISTAKE!  I'M TELLING YOU!   HEED MY ADVICE!  THIS IS HOW PEOPLE DROP DEAD FROM A BLOOD CLOT IN THE LUNG!  I ALMOST DID!      REMEMBER,  A FALSE ALARM IN THE ER CAN MEAN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LIFE AND DEATH!    WHEN THESE CLOTS FORM IN THE LEGS AND TRAVEL TO THE LUNG AND LODGE IN THE LUNG ESPECIALLY THE RIGHT ONE ON THE RETURN,  IT CAN VERY EASILY BREAK LOOSE AND TRAVEL TO THE BRAIN OR HEART AND YOU'RE DEAD!

SO,  what I've gone online and found since then is this!   PE's in a lung are caused by a Deep Vein Thrombosis, can be heredity, can not.   The symptoms of this are the following:  Listen closely!

SYMPTOMS

It's not uncommon for deep vein thrombosis to occur with no symptoms. In fact, in about half of all cases, there are no noticeable symptoms.

When signs and symptoms of deep vein thrombosis do occur, they can include:

Swelling in the affected legs; this can include swelling in your ankles and feet.

Pain in your legs; this can include pain in your ankles and feet. This pain often starts in your calf and can feel like cramping or a "charley horse."

Redness and warmth over the affected area. NOTE:   This rarely occurs!

Pain or swelling in your arms or neck. This can occur if a blood clot forms in your arms or neck.

Deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism warning signs

Sometimes the first sign of deep vein thrombosis can be the chest pain associated with a pulmonary embolism. If
this is the case, seek medical help immediately. The warning signs and symptoms of a pulmonary embolism include:

Chest pain or discomfort. This pain or discomfort usually gets worse when you take a deep breath or when you cough.

Unexplained sudden onset of shortness of breath. This is the most common symptom.

Feeling lightheaded or dizzy, or fainting.

Coughing up blood.

A sense of anxiety or nervousness.

NOTE:   I HAD ALL THE SYMPTOMS EXCEPT FOR COUGHING UP BLOOD!   AND YES,  THE SHORTNESS OF BREATH AND TIGHTNESS OF THE CHEST AND ALSO TINY BURSTS OF TINY TINGLY LIKE THINGS IN THE EYES.  I ALSO HAD TWO HARD SHOOTING PAINS UP THE BACK OF MY NECK THAT MY DR. THOUGHT WAS ATTRIBUTED TO MY FYBROMYALGIA! NOT!

DON'T PLAY AROUND WITH THESE SYMPTOMS,  YOU COULD BE HERE ONE MINUTE AND THE NEXT GONE!

Take care of yourselves!
Barbara
A blood clot in a leg vein may cause pain, warmth and tenderness in the affected area.