Heart Disease Expert Forum
LQTS and Surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

LQTS and Surgery
My son is 6 yrs old and and has Long Qt Syndrome. He has had 2 previous surgeries getting tubes put in his ears before he was diagnosed with LQTS. His tubes just came out and may possibly have to be put back in again. What needs to be done before or during surgery? He takes 40mg of Nadolol 1 time a day. I know that there are certain procedures that need to be done before any surgery and possibly a different anesteshia that must be used for LQTS patients. I always talk to his EP before I give him any kind of Medicine and I thought I would ask you guys also and get your opinion about the surgery. Dr Richard Sterba is his Dr at the Cleveland Clinic and we think he is wonderful. He went way above our expectations! Thank You for this forumn! Melissa
The most important thing is to make sure he is on a beta-blocker, which he already is (the nadolol). Other than that, just let the anesthesiologist know that he has LQTS.
Melissa - I am the one that posted just below you (name riverglen).  I am concerned my son may have LQTS as well with the pauses I heard.  How was this diagnosed?  Did they pick it up when he was born?  Why did you get him tested - was it because of a slow rate or irregularity?  Does he have the pauses in his pulse as well?  Thanks for any input.  Riverglen
Riverglen, My son was diagnosed after he fainted in November 2000. We think he may have went into cardiac arrest and CPR had to be done. He was diagnosed a couple of months later. An EKG can be done to diagnose LQTS. If you think your child could have it then you definately need to get him/her checked out.  My son had to take a beta blocker for the rest of his life and he is only 6. As long as he has no more symptoms, I assume he will only use the beta blockers and if there are more symptoms then more may have to be done. Melissa
A related discussion, LQTS was started.