Heart Disease Expert Forum
LV systolic dysfunction/peripheral pulses

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Is it possible to have LV systolic dysfunction and not have DCM.  I was diagnosed with a moderately dilated LV and was referred to another cardiologist for a second opinion.  The second cardiologist stated that if corrected for body mass (I'm a little over 6' and 180 lbs.) That my LV (end diastolic dimension 6.1) was normal.  What does is mean to have a peripheral pulses 2+.  Thank you very much.
-

_
Dear Pat,
Thank you for your question.  Yes it is possible to have LV systolic dysfunction and not have dilated cardiomyopathy.  The systolic dysfunction refers to the pumping ability of the heart and the dimensions refer to the size of the heart.  Many different things can cause systolic dysfunction and your doctor can sort out with you what (if anything) needs to be done next.  Peripheral pulses refer to the strength of the pulse and can range from 0 to 4.  (2+ is a little below average to average). Hope this helps.

Information provided here is for general educational purposes only. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and treatments. If you would like to be seen at the Cleveland Clinic, please Call 1 - 800 - CCF - CARE for an appointment at Desk F15 with a cardiologist