Heart Disease Community
LVH - Mild aortic Valve Sclerosis Please Reply

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

My father age 87 diagnosed with LVH - Mild aortic Valve Sclerosis. Medication was going fine from three years

Metaprolol 25 mg - half tablet morning half evening
Atorvastatin 10 mg one tablet daily
Trimetazidine (Vertral MR) One morning One Evening

Now from few days he was having Dyspnea, Taken for ECHO - Now echo states

Mild Valve Sclerosis
Normal Bi Ventricular size and fuction

The Doctor changed the treatment regim at 14/2/2013
It was Herbesser and Asprin Only

Condition was worsen Dyspnea increased chest infection (some kind of developed) Cefatraxone sodium 1 gram I.V started No improvement in secretions, they are not drying up. He is not healthy enough to take the secretion out by cough. Doctor advice the captopril 6.5 once daily along with vabivolol 2.6 ng. Is this treatment is correct ?
I want to know is captopril is known for wet cough ? (its ACE inhibitor) could it be its side effect.
Secretions started after captopril previous it was only dyspnea. The E.F on echo is 60%
Now he is not taking statin and vesrtral MR

Please reply.
Thanks.
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It’s unlikely that captopril has caused the chest infection. What was the ejection fraction prior to the infection? The ejection fraction is a useful measure of left ventricular performance. The normal range is 63-77% for males and 55-75% for females. It reflects the pumping capacity of the heart.

Inadequate cardiac output will cause symptoms of dyspnea. His dyspnea could have been worsened by the chest infection. As the chest infection resolves, the oxygenation will improve and as his cardiac output is stabilized, his symptoms of dyspnea should improve. Please discuss the prognosis with your consulting doctor. Good Luck.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.