Heart Disease Community
LVH on echo but not MRI!

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

LVH on echo but not MRI!

Hi, this is my first post, I really hope someone can help as my life is being ruined by this! It's a long story but I will try and keep it short:
I started feeling unwell about 18 months ago, I had GERD symptoms but then started to get really sharp pains in my chest near my heart. Doctor sent me for h-pylori test and was negative.
Gradually got worse, started getting tightness in chest and down left arm, went to hospital and ECG was fine.
A month later symptoms were worse, went hospital again and doctor said there were some problems with ECG and I had high blood pressure. Gave me a copy to show my doc and said the problems were probably due to the high BP.
Saw my doc a few days later, he wasn't too concerned but gave me 2.5 mg of bisoprolol for my BP.
After a few weeks of meds the really sharp pains were gone but started to develope shortness of breath when sitting or laying, told doctor and he gave me an ECG which then resulted in me being sent to a cardiologist.
Cardiologist sent me for echo and stress test, echo said I had severe LVH so I didn't have the stress test.
Cardiologist then told me he didn't think anything was seriously wrong but wanted a cardiac MRI for "completeness".
Had MRI, results showed very slight LVH but within normal boundaries. Cardiologist said he thinks I have no cardiac problem.
Since then I have chest tightness everyday, chest and arm pain, shortness of breath and sometimes it feels as if my heart skips a beat, although this was worse around the time of the echo test.

My problem here is no one has explained the diferences in the tests which makes me worry there has been a mix up. My doc won't hear anymore talk about heart problems and thinks I now have fibromyaglia. I haven't worked in several years and have been overweight all my life (I'm approaching 25). I don't smoke or drink. I also have quite bad gout which only started around the same time as the other sypmtoms!

I'm sorry for such a long post but I wanted to get as much down to answer any questions.

Many thanks, James.  
what is your LVH measurement? i had the same problem too .. tightness of chest, breathless, skip beats.. maybe because of anxiety or panic attacks... just relax and be healthy...
I have never heard of anyone having LVH (Left Ventricular Hypertrophy) and being 'within normal boundries'. You either have it or you don't. You can however be borderline which would not be considered severe, by any stretch of the imagination. You need a second opinion and that is what I would get. Some of the symptoms you describe can be due to LVH, but they can also be due to a lot of other things as well. The fact that you have had two tests that show LVH means you probably have it and you need to see a doctor who deals with this disease. Some Universities have Cardiomyopathy Clinics, that's where you need to be evaluated. HPB can cause LVH, and it can also be sporadic or genetic so you need to know if any family members have had LVH (also known as HCM or Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy) or have died suddenly at a young age. This can be a serious disease, see a doctor who is going to take you seriously.
The first test said it was severe around 25mm I think, the MRI said I was within normal boundaries. The tests were in January and March.
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
aauntamy commented on photo
aauntamy uploaded a new photo
Foods You’re Throwing Away Every Ti...
14 hrs ago by gymdandee